The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 95 Arroyo, Petite Sirah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: 95 Arroyo, Petite Sirah

by Florida Jim » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:10 pm

1995, Vincent Arroyo, Petite Sirah:
There isn’t much fruit on the nose, rather elements of scorched earth, hickory smoke, asphalt, flowers and a very deep, dark-spice note; in the mouth its blackberry soda with accents from the nose, very grippy and just a little watery; moderate length, mouth-coating but pretty drying.
Here is one of those rarities – the oak has “integrated.” But it also has altered the basic make-up of the wine and diminished the fruit. Nothing complex here (unless you count the number of different charred-wood manifestations) and although it’s not a bad wine, it says nothing about petite sirah and gives little reason to want more.
And once again, I am persuaded that there is simply no reason to cellar petite sirah; either I like it on release or I shouldn’t buy it because it’s not going to change for the better.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 95 Arroyo, Petite Sirah

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:51 pm

And again I mostly agree with you. Ridge is always the exception.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:17 pm

And Foppiano in my experience..
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:39 pm

Florida Jim wrote:1995, Vincent Arroyo, Petite Sirah:
There isn’t much fruit on the nose, rather elements of scorched earth, hickory smoke, asphalt, flowers and a very deep, dark-spice note; in the mouth its blackberry soda with accents from the nose, very grippy and just a little watery; moderate length, mouth-coating but pretty drying.
Here is one of those rarities – the oak has “integrated.” But it also has altered the basic make-up of the wine and diminished the fruit. Nothing complex here (unless you count the number of different charred-wood manifestations) and although it’s not a bad wine, it says nothing about petite sirah and gives little reason to want more.
And once again, I am persuaded that there is simply no reason to cellar petite sirah; either I like it on release or I shouldn’t buy it because it’s not going to change for the better.Best, Jim

Jim,
Do you think the above holds true for the Turley petite sirah as well. I just bought a bottle of that and paid what is likely more than worth at $48. I sure would hate to think I been took! :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:54 pm

Bob,

You paid a fair price for the Turley. Of course that presumes you like the style. I would drink now for the pure...all right I'll say it...hedonistic experience.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:39 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Bob,

You paid a fair price for the Turley. Of course that presumes you like the style. I would drink now for the pure...all right I'll say it...hedonistic experience.

Thanks for the comeback David I am not currently in possession of the PS but will not hold it for any long term aging.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Loweeel

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:05 pm

Triangle Below Canal, New York, NY, USA

by Loweeel » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:35 am

Bob Henrick wrote:
Florida Jim wrote:1995, Vincent Arroyo, Petite Sirah:
And once again, I am persuaded that there is simply no reason to cellar petite sirah; either I like it on release or I shouldn’t buy it because it’s not going to change for the better.Best, Jim

Jim,
Do you think the above holds true for the Turley petite sirah as well. I just bought a bottle of that and paid what is likely more than worth at $48. I sure would hate to think I been took! :-)

Bob, which Turley? I have a pretty good sense of the prices.
http://PSychospath.com -- The PSychos' Path: the long road to being crazy about Petite Sirah
no avatar
User

Loweeel

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:05 pm

Triangle Below Canal, New York, NY, USA

by Loweeel » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:36 am

See also the discussion on the Rogov forum on the same topic.
http://PSychospath.com -- The PSychos' Path: the long road to being crazy about Petite Sirah