The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Offline lunch with WLDG's Ramon C

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Offline lunch with WLDG's Ramon C

by Jay Labrador » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:12 am

Lunch with most of the regulars (Arnie wasn't around as he's in Barcelona at the moment) and Ramon who would be flying back to NY the next day. Venue was Cirkulo restaurant. Great food and service. Theme was any red, double blind. We would still vote for our top 3 wines but since the gang wasn't complete, this competition wouldn't formally count towards our current standings. 5 wines competing.

Wine A - Very dark. Nice nose but really sweet and oaky. Definitely New World. Nice enough but not good enough to get my vote. Personally, I couldn't believe someone brought this to the competition, knowing the tastes of the participants. Group #4. Cliff Lede Cabernet Sauvignon 2004.

Wine B - Dark, ripe berries on the very attractive nose. Tannic and with some acidity contributing to a nice, savory character. Elegant, lovely wine. Needs more time but showing very well. Jojo said he was sure this was a Rhone, most likely Grenache. I said it could be Spanish Garnacha. It was tough choosing between this wine and Wine C for my number 1. My #2. Group #1. My wine. Marques de Murrieta Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial 1998. I won! But unfortunately it doesn't add to my total of 2 wins so far.

Wine C - Coffee on the nose. Soft. Quite dry and lean. Slight barnyard. Very approachable. Initially, indistinct and murky flavors but picked up weight and definition with airing. At first this was my number 2 but it ended as my number 1. My #1. Group #2. Chateau Canon la Gaffeliere 2001.

Wine D - Lean, leafy, tobacco. Not much else going on. Nice but not too interesting. My #3. Group last (#5). Chateau Vieux Chateau Certan 2001. This was a bit of a shock to everyone after it was unveiled.

Wine E - Hollow, tannic and acidic. Unbalanced. Didn't like this at all. Group #3. Les Pagodes de Cos 2001.

Too bad this lunch didn't count. I still get bragging rights, though.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Offline lunch with WLDG's Ramon C

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:34 am

Interesting take on the 2001s. I like the vintage a whole lot, though I have shied away from them for the most part (only opening a few of the smaller wines), as I would expect them to be rather sullen right now.

I've never been a fan of Pagodes de Cos. I think it's the poster child for overpriced second wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:41 pm

Jay,

Thanks for the notes. It was good to see you and the Manila contingent once again. That was one fun tasting and I’ll have to chalk it up to yet another humbling, but educational, experience with blind tasting.

This does not have any bearing on the results, but I’ll mention it anyway – that the tasting was done in a Spanish restaurant.

Excuses aside, I look forward to more of this on my next visit.

Cheers.

RC
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:32 pm

You're absolutely right!Spanish resto but may I point out the food wasn't particularly Spanish! Anyway, great fun. Always look forward to your visits.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.