The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Piedmont reds, plus sekt and Barsac

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Piedmont reds, plus sekt and Barsac

by Dale Williams » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:38 pm

Friday was my day to host local wine group; Piedmont was theme. Offtheme welcome wine was fun to get guesses on; no one thought the bubbly was Champagne, Fred was guessing Chenin. But it was the 2002 Von Nell "Ludovico" Riesling Brut (Mosel Saar Ruwer). Interesting and fun wine, smooth and elegant mousse, apple and peach flavors with some slatiness. I decided to forego the customary Sekts jokes. B+

We sat outside for the first couple wines, with cheeses (aged Gouda, Tallegio, Robiola) and salamis.

Wines were served blind, mine was up first. Guesses centered around maturing Barolo, but it was the 1988 Marcarini "Lasarin" Langhe Nebbiolo. Not quite as vital as last bottle, but still shocking to be alive, as this is I believe a bottling intended to be drunk young. Red fruit, a little tar and forest fungus, not very big or long, but certainly alive. B/B+

As we went to wine number 2 , I went inside to finish sauce for the beef in Barolo (actually beef in Langhe Nebbiolo, with a bit of Lessona and some OR PN) and do the (quick) polenta. Wine young and vital, light ripe tannins, good acidity, rich red fruits. Not superlong, but a nice midweight Nebbiolo. When with a shout from outside I was polled for my guess, without thinking I went with Barbaresco, lucky guess, the 2004 Cantina del Pino Barbaresco. B+

As I went back to kitchen, a more urgent shout arose from the patio. Apparently the Basset was incensed by the use of a Dutch cheese on an Italian night, so she snatched the entire wedge on a platter left too close to the edge. I caught her in yard, grabbed the end of cheese that wasn't in mouth. I held it up so her legs were off ground, she held on for about 30 seconds before eventually going to earth. I sadly threw out a big hunk of 5 yr old Gouda. :(

We moved inside for beef, polenta, and squash. Wine #3 was my easiest guess of the night. Pretty dark ruby color, fruity with lots of ripe cherries and globe grapes, low acid, some tannins. I went Dolcetto, and got it- the 2007 de Forville Dolcetto d'Alba. Easy drinking, fruit forward, tasty. B

Next wine seemed Nebbiolo, though with some oak sticking out. Vanilla, ripe, big, tannic but not hard. Everyone said Barolo, I guessed 2001, no it's the 2000 Damilano Barolo. Others liked more than I, I thought oak stood out too much, seemed to get more prominent through night rather than integrating. B-/C+

Next wine was a bit sharper, the high acid could have used a bit more fruit. I was torn between Barbera and Barbaresco, but never made a formal guess. Good thing, it was the 2004 Monte Degli Angeli Barolo. Better than this producer's Pinot Nero, at least. B-

Last blind wine was ripe, low acid, tannic, but fruit profile was a fairly classic red-fruited Nebbiolo, and I thought I got a little tar. So I guessed 2003 Barolo, and got it. The 2003 Querciola Barolo is too fat for me, borders on flabby, but others liked more. B-

We really didn't need any more wine, but I didn't let that stop me from opening a half of dessert wine, the 1989 Doisy Vedrines (Barsac). Dark golden color got darker and darker in glass, but this was quite alive on palate. Nose of pineapple chutney and honey, on palate tropical fruit vied with apricot and caramelized brown sugar. Intense, good acid backbone, very good. A-

Fun night with a good raucous group. None of the reds stunned, but none really sucked either.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Piedmont reds, plus sekt and Barsac

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:43 pm

I will stick to non-Sektarian comments...

Well, maybe not.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:05 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I decided to forego the customary Sekts jokes.

As in "No Sekts, please, we're British!"?
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:40 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:I decided to forego the customary Sekts jokes.

As in "No Sekts, please, we're British!"?

With jokes like that, you two should be sektioned :lol: :oops:
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:53 pm

Can't we have a sektond chance?
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:06 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Can't we have a sektond chance?

I suppose that would be accsektable
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:23 pm

Dale Williams wrote:As I went back to kitchen, a more urgent shout arose from the patio. Apparently the Basset was incensed by the use of a Dutch cheese on an Italian night, so she snatched the entire wedge on a platter left too close to the edge. I caught her in yard, grabbed the end of cheese that wasn't in mouth. I held it up so her legs were off ground, she held on for about 30 seconds before eventually going to earth. I sadly threw out a big hunk of 5 yr old Gouda. :(

Everyone knows that dogs have cleaner mouths than humans. You could have eaten that and been just fine. Especially with all the alcohol in the wines. :wink:
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:27 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Can't we have a sektond chance?

I suppose that would be accsektable

Hold on a sekt, that Doisy-Vedrines reminds me a lot of the '89 Rieussekt I had a while back. Sektre bleu!
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:18 am

Cynthia, sometimes with guests it's best not to do too much sharing. :)

So, plenty of leftovers. Saturday we had grilled bluefish in mustard, with grilled eggplant and pepper. The Sekt held up well overnight. I also tasted a few of the reds to check how they held (just recorked, not refrigerated). The del Pino was fine, the Monte Degli Angeli disjointed, the Querciola even flabbier.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:23 am

Dale Williams wrote:The Sekt held up well overnight.

I'm relieved to hear that. I feared sektarian violence (against Lucy, perhaps).
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:33 pm

Good on the sektond day. Tremendous.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:11 pm

First day for my `00 Marcarini Langhe Rosso, just opened. Seckond day should be nice.