The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Michel Laroche (Chile) and another Chilean Pinot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: Michel Laroche (Chile) and another Chilean Pinot

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:33 am

2006 Michel Laroche Viña Punto Alto Chardonnay Casablanca Valley 14%
I was interested in trying this because Laroche is a well-know Chablis producer for whom I have a soft spot because he champions screwcaps (this is also bottled under screwcap).
Very pale straw yellow, would have guessed sauvignon blanc. Tropical grapefruit aromas suggest new world, but there is also a chalky mineral element, reminiscent of chablis. Fresh, good consistency, excellent mouth feel, good acidity, both before and with food. Alcohol very well integrated. Only a slightly sour finish mars an otherwise impressive effort. All that's lacking now is some lanolin. :)

2007 Tabalí Reserva Especial Pinot Noir 13.5%
Part of an ongoing exploration of southern cone pinots. Simple but aromatic and attractive nose, with a very Burgundian cherry pinosity, minus the sometimes harsh green stemminess that I often find in the young ones. This is like a friendly young Burgundy. Not quite as attractive in the mouth, but good equilibrium and consistency, slightly peppery, with some soothing wood caramel, just right. Correct alcohol, well integrated. Not complex but tasty, good with food and without. If this were screwcap, I'd cellar half a dozen to see how it evolves.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.