The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Age 15

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Age 15

by Florida Jim » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:43 am

1993 Fisher, Cabernet Sauvignon Lamb Vineyard:
15 years old but no bottle bouquet in evidence; extroverted aromatics but relatively straight-forward – some cassis, some smoky earth, a touch of spice; still grippy in the mouth with strong but one dimensional flavors, some salinity, little nuance, reasonable balance and sustain. At release, a very highly regarded wine by certain CA savvy critics and, I admit, I bought on the strength of those assessments. I have been through a case of this wine and it has never lived up to its hype. One of many examples of why I no longer read, listen to or follow any professional critics’ recommendations.
I see nothing here that gives any indication its best days are ahead of it and, today, this isn’t worth the trouble. Fair with grilled strip steaks but still, nothing that warrants buying or cellaring this wine.
Diane comes home and has a glass and says she likes it (go figure). I ask why, as she usually doesn’t care for cabernet. She says it’s because it has no green smells or flavors – ah, such are the delights of lowered expectations.
Our last bottle.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Age 15

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:01 am

Jim, have you seen the cab notes on Wine Focus? There are some gems being posted!
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:14 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Jim, have you seen the cab notes on Wine Focus? There are some gems being posted!

Bob,
I'm sorry - I do not know what you are talking about.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:16 am

Florida Jim wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Jim, have you seen the cab notes on Wine Focus? There are some gems being posted!

Bob,
I'm sorry - I do not know what you are talking about.
Best, Jim

I think he means this: viewforum.php?f=18

The WLDG 'Wine Focus' forum where the topic for October is cabernet.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:15 pm

Not to defend said critic and his view of the wine, Cellar Tracker, in 7 notes, gives an average score of 93.7, though the last note indicates it is going DH... so.. different strokes..
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:33 pm

James Dietz wrote:Not to defend said critic and his view of the wine, Cellar Tracker, in 7 notes, gives an average score of 93.7, though the last note indicates it is going DH... so.. different strokes..

James,
Of course, preferences may differ.
But one wonders how much influence said critic had on the posters of those seven notes.
And Cellar Tracker reminds me of the Wine Spectator tasting panels; wines get an average score from folks whose palates I don't know much about.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:43 pm

Florida Jim wrote:James,
But one wonders how much influence said critic had on the posters of those seven notes.
And Cellar Tracker reminds me of the Wine Spectator tasting panels; wines get an average score from folks whose palates I don't know much about.
Best, Jim

Well said.. and what I thought someone would shoot back.. with 7 reviews, I'm not so comfortable.. but when there are 70, the number may, and I stress may, mean more..
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:52 pm

James Dietz wrote:
Florida Jim wrote:James,
Best, Jim

Well said.. and what I thought someone would shoot back.. with 7 reviews, I'm not so comfortable.. but when there are 70, the number may, and I stress may, mean more..

Understood.
Still, 7 or 70, I'd rather read your review then consider those numbers. At least I read your notes and have a feel for where we match and where we don't.
70 or 700 has more a ring of authority but, for me, its just more homogenous - and I find myself well outside the mainstream.
Anywho, even in our house, there was no consensus about this wine - which brings it full circle back to preferences.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars