The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Blanes, Montenidoli, Maria Masini, Potel, Fojo, Burgaud

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Blanes, Montenidoli, Maria Masini, Potel, Fojo, Burgaud

by Saina » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:08 pm

This probably isn't a tasting that draws a huge amount of views or responses - but that's a shame. These are some very interesting wines despite being from names that aren't at all well known. I found these fascinating both intellectually and for the sheer pleasure they brought. All were served blind.

• 2007 (d.) de Blanes Vin de Pays des Côtes Catalanes Muscat Sec - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Vin de Pays des Côtes Catalanes (10/9/2008)
    A floral and very typical Muscat scent, but a restrained style and very mineral. Though the scent promised a sweetly fruity wine, it gladly was dry and with almost steely acidity and grip. Long and strongly mineral aftertaste. Very nice!
  • 2004 Montenidoli Vernaccia di San Gimignano Carato - Italy, Tuscany, San Gimignano, Vernaccia di San Gimignano (10/9/2008)
    A little bit of new oak/vanilla on the nose, but also more interesting scents: bright, citrussy fruit and some hay - when served blind, it reminded me of Basque whites from the Pyrenees. Deep and moderately full bodied palate, good acidity, but once again with a touch of oak. I don't think most people will find this amount of oak problematic, but it did diminish my appreciation. Possibly nice with more age even for me?
  • 2007 Cosimo Maria Masini Trebbiano - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (10/9/2008)
    A sample; I don't think it is commercially produced? A wild wine: the colour is orange and cloudy - "natural" wine! A wild and funky nose at first with lots of oxidative apple notes and funk reminiscent of Cantillon's Gueuze. I thought it was absolutely fantastic stuff, though I guess it is a bit of an extreme wine. But over the evening it developed into a more mainstream style, with the funk blowing off and brighter, more fruity aromas appearing. Deep and tangy palate, tannic and acidic, more like a red wine than white - I guess this is what Gravners are like? Endlessly fascinating but much more than a curiosity: to me at least this was very, very drinkable and moreish. I love it!
  • 2007 Nicolas Potel Auxey-Duresses Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Auxey-Duresses (10/9/2008)
    13% abv; 22,50€; 0,25ha parcel of Auxey-Duresses; 10 months in oak of which 30% was new. Immature colour, of course. Citrus and bitter oak notes and some nuttiness. Bitterly oaky palate, but at least it has high acidity and fruit to counter it. I'm not hugely excited, but perhaps if the oak calms down it might turn into something palatable.
  • 2001 Montenidoli Sono Montenidoli Vino da Tavola - Italy, Tuscany, Vino da Tavola (10/9/2008)
    Blind taste: Deep colour, very primary. Ripe fruit, dark toned yet still very Sangiovese, lifted and refreshing, perhaps some oak notes too (though we were later told that it doesn't see new wood). Big, concentrated palate, yet very light on its feet: much, much ripe fruit, but much, much "natural" tannins as well. Despite its size it seems very bright and refreshing. Young, and I have slight reservations about the sheer size of it, but thanks to the very upright structure, I think I would enjoy it with quite a bit more time (this still seemed more like a barrel sample than a finished wine!).
  • 2000 Quinta do Fojo Douro Fojo - Portugal, Douro, Cima Corgo, Douro (10/9/2008)
    A nice, dark toned wine, with a slightly raisiny/figgy character, but with lots of bright and refreshing herbal notes, too, so it isn't all about sweetness. Full bodied, but light on its feet, refreshing and palate-cleansing. Very nice!
  • 2007 Jean-Marc Burgaud Morgon Les Charmes - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (10/9/2008)
    As classic a nose as can be: slightly reductive at first, but opened up to be very gravelly with bright, raspberry fruit. Fairly light and juicy palate, but with wonderful structure and purity; clean, rocky and long; firm but friendly. Very nice!
  • 2005 Podere le Boncie Chianti Classico Le Trame - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico (10/9/2008)
    This was the only, slightly disappointing wine of tonight's tasting! Le Trame was sublime in 2002 (yes, that's right, it was sublime in a year that no one says anything good about) and 2004 so I had high hopes for this, but when it was served (blind of course) it smelled very ripe and international - not overly oaky, but simply anonymous. Juicy palate and with nice structure. There was nothing wrong with the wine except that it lacked the magic of the '02 and '04. Drinkable and well made but not exciting.
  • Sample of unspecified vintage of Cosimo Maria Masini Vin Santo - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (10/9/2008)
    A nice wine, rather Muscatty in its aromas, some metallic scents, too. Sweet, but bright. Nice stuff, but not hugely exciting.
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

Re: WTN: Blanes, Montenidoli, Maria Masini, Potel, Fojo, Burgaud

by Michael Malinoski » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:45 pm

Otto, thanks for the notes. Glad to read about the '07 Burgaud Morgon Les Chaumes. I've been enjoying the '06 Burgaud Morgon Cote de Py and just re-stocked on it. Sounds like I should save some funds for this bottling (if and when I see some).

-Michael
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:02 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:2007 Nicolas Potel Auxey-Duresses Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Auxey-Duresses (10/9/2008)
13% abv; 22,50€; 0,25ha parcel of Auxey-Duresses; 10 months in oak of which 30% was new. Immature colour, of course. Citrus and bitter oak notes and some nuttiness. Bitterly oaky palate, but at least it has high acidity and fruit to counter it. I'm not hugely excited, but perhaps if the oak calms down it might turn into something palatable.

This was recently bottled?
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:51 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:This probably isn't a tasting that draws a huge amount of views or responses - but that's a shame.

Otto,

I always read what you have to write. I may be more tolerant of fleshier-wine than you, but I always like hearing what you have to say. Still drinking Musar?

Mark
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:49 am

Michael Malinoski wrote:Otto, thanks for the notes. Glad to read about the '07 Burgaud Morgon Les Chaumes. I've been enjoying the '06 Burgaud Morgon Cote de Py and just re-stocked on it. Sounds like I should save some funds for this bottling (if and when I see some).l

I like the '06 CdP very much, too. But from the few '07s I've so far had, I think I will be spending much on them: they have been incredibly charming wines. The importer told me that the rest of Burgaud's range in '07 is just as excellent.

Rahsaan, yes. But I'm not sure that is enough to excuse it.

Mark, I'm still drinking Musar whenever I can! :)

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.