The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: couple Piedmont Nebbiolos, 1 Oregon PN

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: couple Piedmont Nebbiolos, 1 Oregon PN

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:46 pm

With tuna steaks in a tomato/olive sauce and quinoa, the 2001 Sella Lessona. I was a little worried at first, there was a little pruney edge. This bottle had a bit of a stained label, even though it came from a fairly trusted source I worried a bit that there was some damage. Who knows, but after just 20 or 30 minutes of air the Lessona I remembered re-emerged. Pretty light to midweight Nebbiolo, plenty of tar intermixed with bright red fruit, earthy, intense without being heavy. Nice wine to drink while waiting for your Barolos to age. B+

Betsy wasn't drinking, I opened a half bottle of 2004 St, Innocent "Shea Vineyard" Pinot Noir for turkey burgers on pita. A half-glass with dinner didn't do much for me- some black fruits, a little spice, but showing a lot of sweetness. I left for a speech at a college and had another glass on return.
Still showing a good amount of tannins and sweetness, though a bit more complexity (earth, floral aromas) was coming out. Overall, this didn't thrill me, but I'm aware I might have opened 5 years too early even in 375. Used the rest to add to a marinade. Probably underrating potential, but for last night B-

Needed Nebbiolo for a marinade, used leftover Lessona (and a glass of PN) and almost a whole bottle of the 2004 Querciola Nebbiolo d'Alba. I of course saved a 2 oz pour. This was ok straightforward red wine, but I was struggling to find any varietal character. Light tannins, cherry fruit, round, sweet. C+/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.