The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Casa Marin Cartagena Chardonnay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2002 Casa Marin Cartagena Chardonnay

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:59 am

Marcia made a delicious fish soup from a recipe given by Lalou Bize-Leroy on a TV program aired during her last visit to São Paulo. Since it calls for a cup of chardonnay, I opened this by a winery about whom I have heard good things*. Of course, later we had the rest of it with the soup.

2002 Casa Marin Cartagena Chardonnay Casablanca Valley 13.5%
Golden amber color, on the dark side. Rich nose containing citric elements, vanilla bean, caramel, toothpaste chalk and that powdery stuff that is sprinkled over Turkish Delight. Before food, the acidity overwhelms the fruit, but there is good body, pronounced caramel, and additional sour apple notes. After food, the acidity remains quite present, but in better balance (Marcia suggests that lingering acidity might be an indicator of whether a wine goes well with a food, an interesting proposition given that food that is too rich might neutralize the acidity of a mismatched wine). Good match for fish soup. Overall, I'd say the different parts of this wine stick out, i.e., are not well integrated, but it has personality and is flavorful. While I'm not motivated to buy more, it makes me even more curious about the winery.

* from Patricio Tapia, who writes a good guide to Chilean wine, and our own Bob Parsons, who went to one of their tastings last year.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2002 Casa Marin Cartagena Chardonnay

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:35 am

Oh, Oswaldo, those lovely Sauvignon Blancs!
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:30 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:it makes me even more curious about the winery.

Oswaldo, I met the very nice young Mr Marín here in Stockholm last week. His Mother, Maria Luz Marín, is the founder and the boss of the winery. I tasted an older Pinot, a 2003, I believe, their first vintage. It was clearly very mature and maybe a bit tired, but still an interesting and good wine. The 2006 Pinot Noir Lo Abarca Hills was an altogether different story. Tightly packed with fine, dark fruit. Toasted oak was dominating the nose now and I am not sure if it eventually will be integrated into the wine, but I will buy a couple of bottles and let the m rest in my cellar for some time to see what happens. Easily the most serious Pinot that was available at the Chilean wine day here. They also offered some white wines, but due to lack of time, I concentrated on Pinot and Syrah this time. Their Riesling will be released here in November. Any opinion about it?
Cheers, Anders
Last edited by Anders Källberg on Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:51 am

Anders Källberg wrote:Oswaldo, I met the very nice young Mr Marín here in Stockholm last week. His Mother, Maria Luz Marín, is the founder and the boss of the winery. I tasted an older Pinot, a 2003, I believe, their first vintage. It was clearly very mature and maybe a bit tired, but still an interesting and good wine. The 2006 Pinot Noir Lo Abarca Hills was an altogether different story. Tightly packed with fine, dark fruit. Toasted oak was dominating the nose now and I am not sure if it eventually will be integrated into the wine, but I will buy a couple of bottles and let the m rest in my cellar for some time to see what happens. Easily the most serious Pinot that was available at the Chilean wine day here. They also offered some white wines, but due to lack of time, I concentrated on Pinot and Syrah this time. Their Riesling will be released here in November. Any opinion about it?
Cheers, Anders

I haven't heard about the son, but the mother seems to get rave reviews wherever she goes. This was my first Casa Marin, so I'll look for the Lo Abarca and the Riesling and give them a try (I see a 2004 Lo Abarca and a 2006 Riesling Miramar listed at my local importer). Tonight I'll probably open a 375ml of their Matisses Sauvignon Blanc and post a note.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:24 am

I picked up a bottle of the 04 Lo Abarca and will try it before month end. But the 14.5% alcohol already made me wonder if it will be too, well, alcoholic, so I keep reminding myself it's all about integration, balance, etc.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:04 pm

I hope you will find it a nice bottle, Oswaldo, in spite of the alcohol. I quite agree with you that 14% is somewhat of a limit for Pinot. In fact the 2005 Lo Abarca I tasted has 14%.
Cheers,
Anders