The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Italian varieties in CA?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

Italian varieties in CA?

by Dan Donahue » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:42 pm

Many of the California vineyards were originally planted by Italian immigrants and many of my favorite red and white varieties are Italian (Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Sangrantino, Ribolla, Verdicchio, Arneis), yet you do not see many Italian varieties coming out of California. For sake of argument, I'm excluding Zinfandel/Primitivo which is primarily identified as American.

So what have I missed? I recently saw a note for an American Ribolla and I do like the Tablas Creek Vermentino (although they would rather call it Rolle), surely there must be some growers/producers taking a shot with these grapes. Is anyone doing a decent Nebbiolo? After all, if the world economy rolls snake eyes we may be limited to US wines.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Italian varieties in CA?

by Carl Eppig » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:55 pm

Barbera, particularly from the higher elevations. An easy to find one is Easton.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:58 pm

There's a long history of Barbera in CA, I recently was the mule for a bottle of '58 Louis Martini, but unfortunately mules aren't fed wine. :(

Sangiovese seems to be the most prominent Italian variety planted in CA. I've not been abig fan of the few Sangiovese and Nebbiolo I've tasted. But scarcely a wide sample, maybe there's some good stuff out there.

I wonder if growers at least in warmer parts of CA would be better off with Southern Italian varieties (Nero, Aglianico, etc)
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:02 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I wonder if growers at least in warmer parts of CA would be better off with Southern Italian varieties (Nero, Aglianico, etc)
Dale, there is at least a little bit of Aglianico planted in Amador County. I don't know about Nero but that doesn't mean it isn't out there, too.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

IL

by Dan Donahue » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:19 pm

I forgot about Barbera (which I seem to do a lot, everytime I open one I wonder why I don't buy more). I've had a number of decent CA Barberas.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:44 pm

Just this past weekend I was at a wine shop in Annapolis and needed one last bottle to fill a case so asked the merchant to pick it for me. He knew exactly what he wanted and when it wasn't on the shelf he went in back to bring a case out of the warehouse then had to enter it into the register. I am watching and wondering what he is all excited about and then I see the bottle. All this I thought for a California Dolcetto (Palmina Dolcetto). I have not tried it yet but have high hopes.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:03 pm

Dan, Bill Mosby at Mosby Vineyards in Buellton, near Santa Barbara, loves Italy and Italian wine and grows an amazing array of Italian varieties. They don't always ring the bell as Italian lookalikes, but Bill and his staff are great folks, and I have a warm place in my heart for them. Check out their long portfolio at
http://www.mosbywines.com/pages/winelist.htm
and then back up to the main page for much more info about the winery.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:29 pm

In Paso Robles, Caparone Winery does aglianico, nebbiolo and sangiovese yearly and at prices below $20 a bottle. I think they are better young then aged but in some vintages, they are quite good.
And they have been doing these wines since the 1950's.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:05 pm

No discussion of Italian varieties in CA would be complete without mention of Palmina. Steve and Chrystal Clifton are making beautiful renditions of Italian favorites.
Seek some out, I think you'll be impressed with the quality of these wines.

http://www.palminawines.com/

no affiliation, just a satisfied consumer, spreading the word
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:53 pm

I second John: I think Steve Clifton at Palmina is doing an amazing job with Italian varieties (Dolcetto, Barbera, Nebbiolo, Arneis and others). I think he's one of the best winemakers in the state, particularly if you like wines that have moderate alcohol and good acidity.

I used to sell these wines but am no longer selling any wine from CA.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

IL

by Dan Donahue » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:29 am

Thanks for all the suggestions--time to do some exploring.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Sangiovese seems to be the most prominent Italian variety planted in CA. I've not been abig fan of the few Sangiovese and Nebbiolo I've tasted. But scarcely a wide sample, maybe there's some good stuff out there.

Yup, I'm the same way. Using quality and price as criteria, all of the Ameican versions of Italian wines I ever tasted were inferior in both categories. You could always get better wine for less money from the 'homeland'. Maybe that has changed, but I wouldn't know as I got so tired of repeating "This is crap!" whenever I tasted some pale lame Nebbiolo or Sangiovese with no varietal character that I gave up on them.

If you guys tell me I can but American Italowines that are as good as the originals and competitively priced, I am willing to listen.

For may years it was the same with Rhones but I have tasted quite a few convincing Syrahs recently. The so-called Rhone blends have fared less well - again, often more expensive and simpler and/or less typical than the French original.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:33 pm

Bill -

Keep an eye out for Vino Noceto's Sangiovese (their lowest-end wine rather than their Reserve or single-vineyard bottlings). It goes for under $20 and generally tastes closer to a decent Italian wine than most other Cal-Itals. Their fancier Sangios can be excellent but they cost quite a bit more and are often much more "Californian" to my taste.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child