The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Old Pinots and Musar, RRV, Champagne, Quarts de Chaume

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Old Pinots and Musar, RRV, Champagne, Quarts de Chaume

by Saina » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:27 pm

Wade Hostler was once again in Finland, so we met up for some great wines. I made a pot of poulet au vin (cheap man's coq au vin) for these wines:

• 2002 Voirin-Jumel Champagne Millésimé - France, Champagne (10/4/2008)
    A sweet scent of apple or pear jam, but also nice minerality and white fruit. Elegant mousse, but a rather full bodied and heavy Champagne without quite the steely, refreshing zip I hope to see in Chardonnay-heavy Champagnes. Yet despite my criticisms, it did go down very easily. It is a good Champagne, just not what I was expecting.
  • 2007 Crushpad Töövi Saralee's Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (10/4/2008)
    14% abv; stainless steel, no oak; c.½ & ½ Marsanne & Roussanne with just a dash of Viognier. At first very reductive, but it opened up to be a really wonderful white Rhône blend with nutty and pear-like fruit and very strong minerality. Full bodied but very light on its feet with abnormally high acidity for a Rhône white blend (but this was only a good thing as I too often find them flabby). It is a bit tannic also so I wondered if it might have been pressed with stems - apparently not, but it does have great structure to counter the fruit. Asko's best wine so far, IMO! Great stuff!
  • 1982 Chateau Musar - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley (10/4/2008)
    This bottle was very different from the magnum I had last December. This was a dark and brooding wine, not delicate at all, with an animal quality to the peachy fruit. With air it became tame and lost some of the unique Musariness and became more like an aged CdP. Vibrant, sweet fruit, refreshing acidity and quite tannic but sadly also the alcohol shows a little on the finish. A nice wine, but not one of the great Musars and strange in how it lost its Musariness after a few hours!
  • 1980 Acacia Pinot Noir St. Clair Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Carneros (10/4/2008)
    This was a treasure that Wade kindly brought from the States. 12,6% abv. Deep colour, looks very young. The scent started out with some funk but the bottle stink blew off quickly and the wine was quite fantastic. The scent was full of ripe strawberry and wet clay - a ripe but pure Pinosity, fully mature but so vibrant that it seemed nowhere close to being at the end of its life. Quite full bodied for such an old wine, intense, fairly high acidity which countered the sweet fruit, still some tannins. Refreshing aftertaste. This bottle was a very charming wine.
  • 1988 Camille Giroud Beaune 1er Cru Bressandes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru (10/4/2008)
    13% abv; 75€. Quite a dark colour for a 20yo Burgundy. The nose has a lovely animal character to it - it is a rustic and rugged style of Burgundy - but it also has a pure Pinosity with vegetal and earthy, aged aromas. Still rather tannic and rugged, rustic fruit. Very upright still and though lovely now, we all thought it might still improve with time. Great stuff.
  • 2004 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Quarts de Chaume (10/4/2008)
    13% abv; 44,90€. A lovely drop: scents of quince, peas and hay. Full bodied and sweet but with enough bright acidity to make it extremely moreish. Excellent.
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: Old Pinots and Musar, RRV, Champagne, Quarts de Chaume

by Howie Hart » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:14 pm

WOW - quite a lineup! A 1980 CA Pinot and only 12.6% abv. I don't think they make them like that any more. I can tell from the photo that all the bottles are empty, so you must have enjoyed yourself. 8)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:40 pm

Howie Hart wrote:WOW - quite a lineup! A 1980 CA Pinot and only 12.6% abv. I don't think they make them like that any more. I can tell from the photo that all the bottles are empty, so you must have enjoyed yourself. 8)

Howie, yes we did enjoy ourselves very much ... actually, too much, judging by how delicate I felt this morning ... Some wines were left over: a generous glass of the Champagne and several of the Quarts de Chaume. The Champagne was actually better tonight than yesterday: often bubblies are thought of as delicate wines, but I find that they last open better than anything except young German Riesling and Loire Chenin. I didn't notice any loss of intensity in the bubbles when compared to yesterday but rather the aromas were more focused. The Q de Chaume was brilliant tonight - and even better I have a drop left over for tomorrow. This is really a fantastic wine and I think I need to find more of it.

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:42 pm

Mike B, a good friend who also posts here, has found some `97 Musar Blanc. On my way as wallet is in pretty good shape this week.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:47 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:as wallet is in pretty good shape this week.

Stop bragging :wink: