The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Please allow me to introduce myself.....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

jecastillo

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:58 pm

Baltimore, MD

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself.....

by jecastillo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:20 am

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome. I can easily see myself getting addicted to this forum. I think I have what it takes to be an "Uber Geek" in the forum. (Not sure what that is, but it sounds cool).

Just to give a heads up, I'm taking a well-deserved (at least I think so) vacation over the next week, so if I don't resond to a message, please don't think I'm being rude.

Jorge
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself.....

by James Roscoe » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:48 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Riesling in Maryland, wow, I guess I know very little of the state, although typecast it as a bit swampy and humid, but obviously it is as micro-climate diverse as any region on earth..

Oh there are places that are swampy and humid, but also cooler spots. I wish someone would try planting more in the western hills. Many of the wineries are in the eastern area near Baltimore (where my wife is from), and I bet they have to use a lot of chemicals to avoid rot.

Spot on comment. Maryland shares the same ridge that the best Virginia wines come from. I would guess the climate would be excellent for Riesling, and Cab. Franc as well as others. there are too few wineries out that way. I actually prefer Vurginia's whites (Viognier and Riesling) to its reds. The reds are too affected by the heat and the rain. They are weedy and just bad. I've had a few cab. francs I've enjoyed, but the best are the whites, and of course Paul B's beloved Norton and hybrids. The hybrids make excellent dessert wines.
Previous