The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine probation support group starts here

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Wine probation support group starts here

by Bill Spohn » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:17 pm

I've been very, very good for awhile now, but someone just sent me a mailer on the 2005 Vieux Lazaret Cuvee Exceptionelle. I have a soft spot for CNduP (my wife says it is located in my head).

Someone tell me this is crappy wine that I don't really need.....
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:21 pm

I slipped. I just ordered four bottles from Calvert and Woodley in DC to be picked up Saturday morning. Two I want to consume myself (Gary Farrell Pinot Noir) and two from Australia are for the wine tasting as a church fundraiser.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:54 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:As for the Burgs - the really good 2005s have cleared the market, 2006 is no great shakes & pretty much what is left is what everyone already passed on.

Dang, and I just bought four Patrick Javillier 2005s, two Savigny-les-Beaune "Grand Liard" and two Pernand-Vergelesses (with coupons, about $24 per).

Oh wait, what am I doing in this thread? I don't have a ...
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

Off the wagon, feet touching ground ?

by Jeff_Dudley » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:57 am

I went off probation today with SP (spousal permission) to get current releases of some absolute favorites. It took two hours at the Wine Exchange to choose an entire case of single bottles and then put them all back, then go back instead for:

2 btl - Pfeffingen 2007 Scheurebe Spatlese Ungsteiner Herrenberg
2 btl - R Haart 2007 Riesling Kabinett Piesporter Goldtropchen
2 btl - Gallet 2005 Cote Rotie

What a rush that was, and I don't mean the two hour drive each way. Now, feeling strangely satisfied and even guilt-ridden. And I'm not even Catholic.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:59 am

SP is the one absolute rule for breaking WP.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:08 am

Yup ! :D
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:47 am

We bought a Marcel Deiss Pinot Blanc and an ESJ "Bone Jolly" red this weekend. However, they were both priced very competitively, so that's technically not a violation.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:19 am

I slipped this week as well.

We need to be strong. I should have posted before clicking. :(
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:51 am

I'm proud. Managed to walk into Crush Wines a couple of days ago with a friend who wanted to buy a bunch of wines - only picked up a much older order of mine for 3 bottles, and managed to walk out without actually buying anything - despite walking right by a stack of 07 Geil Scheurebe and 06 Loewen Spatlese (and a few stacks of Schaefer and Donnhoff). Now need to stay strong...
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:47 pm

Sam Platt wrote:We bought a Marcel Deiss Pinot Blanc and an ESJ "Bone Jolly" red this weekend. However, they were both priced very competitively, so that's technically not a violation.

This is my weakness too Sam, and I'm afraid it IS a violation. To look for good deals in e-mails about wine, to cruise close-out bins, etc. is like an alcoholic going into bars and saying that having a drink doesn't count because someone asked me if I wanted one!

I know if I "happened to see" the ESJ Bone Jolly for an extra 5% off it would go home with me.
Today it was a bottle of '98 Trimbach CFE VT, and not even all that great a bargain.

The old W.C Fields line applies:
"I never touch whiskey, except for the bottle I keep handy in case I am bitten by a snake, which I also keep handy."

May we both find strength,
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:33 pm

sam! think about this. a 'nice' bottle for how much? and from 2000? not a stellar vintage there. its a village wine? take a pill man.
david creighton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:08 pm

David Creighton wrote:sam! think about this. a 'nice' bottle for how much? and from 2000? not a stellar vintage there. its a village wine? take a pill man.

David - what are you talking about?
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:35 pm

Charles Weiss wrote:This is my weakness too Sam, and I'm afraid it IS a violation. To look for good deals in e-mails about wine, to cruise close-out bins, etc. is like an alcoholic going into bars and saying that having a drink doesn't count because someone asked me if I wanted one!

Well Charles, that's not exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm in desperate need of an enabler! Surely there are some loopholes? A technicality, or two? If not good pricing then what??? I need a medically safe detox! :)
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:57 pm

Sam Platt wrote:Well Charles, that's not exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm in desperate need of an enabler! Surely there are some loopholes? A technicality, or two? If not good pricing then what??? I need a medically safe detox! :)

Rationalization - a sure sign of a problem. :wink:
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:35 pm

the last post on the first page - sorry, just joined this.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:44 am

I broke probation too. :cry:

Just returned from a week with five couples in the Eldorado Foothills environs with a case and a half of wine purchased during three days of wine tasting. But comparatively speaking, I was very very good: everybody else bought about four cases.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:51 am

Jenise wrote:I broke probation too. :cry:

Just returned from a week with five couples in the Eldorado Foothills environs with a case and a half of wine purchased during three days of wine tasting. But comparatively speaking, I was very very good: everybody else bought about four cases.

Ok.. WHAT did you buy... inquiring minds want to know...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:54 am

Hey Jenise - I have some computer parts for you. But I have no box. :wink:
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:59 am

Sam Platt wrote:
Charles Weiss wrote:This is my weakness too Sam, and I'm afraid it IS a violation. To look for good deals in e-mails about wine, to cruise close-out bins, etc. is like an alcoholic going into bars and saying that having a drink doesn't count because someone asked me if I wanted one!

Well Charles, that's not exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm in desperate need of an enabler! Surely there are some loopholes? A technicality, or two? If not good pricing then what??? I need a medically safe detox! :)

Sam,
I'm available as your disabler, err, enabler!! I think there is a loophole for 2006 ESJ Bone Jolly Gamay (Red) for $12.98 before discount. Hell, you'd be a damn fool if you didn't buy it. Well, you may actually be a fool if you only bought one bottle. Hell, it even has a screwcap so Mr. Bueker can buy/drink it.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:40 pm

James Dietz wrote:
Jenise wrote:I broke probation too. :cry:

Ok.. WHAT did you buy... inquiring minds want to know...

Basically, I only purchased from four wineries: Miraflores, Boeger, Cedarville and Sobon. All four were strong across their entire line with good structure, acidity, varietal character, relatively modest alcohols (for the area) and an absence of jammy, overripe fruit. I didn't stop at Karly or Scott Harvey, but I liked bottles purchased and tasted while there.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:42 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Hey Jenise - I have some computer parts for you. But I have no box. :wink:

Now that's it's cool enough to ship and we're both stateside, that box will be on its way to you very soon!
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:45 pm

Jenise wrote:Basically, I only purchased from four wineries: Miraflores, Boeger, Cedarville and Sobon. All four were strong across their entire line with good structure, acidity, varietal character, relatively modest alcohols (for the area) and an absence of jammy, overripe fruit. I didn't stop at Karly or Scott Harvey, but I liked bottles purchased and tasted while there.

I need to get up there sometime.. I buy about a case from Cedarville each year, and they seem to be great people too.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:08 pm

James Dietz wrote:
Jenise wrote:Basically, I only purchased from four wineries: Miraflores, Boeger, Cedarville and Sobon. All four were strong across their entire line with good structure, acidity, varietal character, relatively modest alcohols (for the area) and an absence of jammy, overripe fruit. I didn't stop at Karly or Scott Harvey, but I liked bottles purchased and tasted while there.

I need to get up there sometime.. I buy about a case from Cedarville each year, and they seem to be great people too.

You should! I brought back his viognier, grenache and cabernet. I liked everything he makes, but these were for me the standouts. The area's quite beautiful and totally uncommercialized. So much so that accomodations are scarce--if you ever get up there, I highly recommend the 7-Up Guest Ranch in Fairplay where we stayed. It's a rustically elegant little B & B consisting of three duplex cabins scattered on a hillside just a mile, if that, down the road from Cedarville.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:14 pm

Thanx for the recommendation for a place to stay, Jenise. You describe pretty much what I buy from them, except I do get their Zin too. The sryah and petite sirah are both good, but I don't buy much of either varietal from anyone.
Cheers, Jim
PreviousNext