The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine probation support group starts here

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: Wine probation support group starts here

by Sam Platt » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:03 pm

Survey says...VIOLATION!

David is tough... but fair.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:34 am

Sam Platt wrote:
Survey says...VIOLATION!

David is tough... but fair.

And also very WRONG!!
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:21 am

Well I already have 75+ bottles of ESJ in my cellar, so any purchase right now (regardless of price) would be a violation.

Also Bill - you go after the same buy every few weeks. Why not just stock up and be done with it?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:15 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Also Bill - you go after the same buy every few weeks. Why not just stock up and be done with it?

You're wrong again. I haven't purchased this wine in at least 6 months (Probably longer) and was surprised to see it still on the shelves at this price, as this is not a shop I get to very often. So I bought more...Geez!

Now, I do drink and post on a a number of ESJ wines, so I can see why you are confused. But, if my ESJ postings concern you for some reason, I usually indicate the wine in the subject line and anyone is free to ignore them.

Also, David- thank you for your interest in my buying habits. Thankfully NJ doesn't monitor it that closely.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:41 am

Bill,

Not meant nearly as critically as you take it, but this thread is about trying to avoid buying, not telling us what great buys you just made.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:04 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Bill,

Not meant nearly as critically as you take it, but this thread is about trying to avoid buying, not telling us what great buys you just made.

Very measured and elegant response.

This thread started off as a forum for those who want to control their compulsive buying habits, usually futile attempts to fill the "hole in the soul" through the acquisition of material objects. But since I think we all hate the idea of disciplining our hedonism, lately it has become a forum for smug posts about opportunities that just couldn't be resisted.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:07 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Bill,

Good reminder David. I am just popping downtown to look over a few shelves, just refreshing ideas of course, before coming home to scan the cellar for something Mosel-ish for weekend drinking.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:51 pm

It's all in good fun, gang. The entertainment value is in the failed attempt at not purchasing wines. If none of use were in violation the posts would be a string of "I didn't buy any wine today". Not much excitement there.

PS: I did buy a nice Colombard this morning, but if it helps others to carry on the fight, I didn't feel good about it.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:56 pm

Sam Platt wrote: ... PS: I did buy a nice Colombard this morning ...

A nice Colombard ? Tell me more. :wink:
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:14 pm

Actually Sam - the point is:

"I'm really tempted by the new release from XYZ. I love their wines. I hear 200X is a great vintage for them."

We respond: "Don't do it. How many bottles do you already have from XYZ? Drink some! There's will always be another great vintage."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:57 pm

Well, I fell off the wagon again.

Had a 20% off coupon burning a hole in my wallet good for as few as four bottles or as many as I could fit in my car. So when you consider the damage I could have done, that I only purchased five bottles is commendable, no? Oh, and they were two 04 Felsina Rancia and three bottles of a really old-fashioned, biscuity little grower champagne called Triolet.

p.s. My case of Laurel Glen arrived this morning. I think when I mentioned it previously I said it was going to be at the outrageously low price of $19. Well, I was wrong. It was only $15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:25 pm

David Bueker wrote:Actually Sam - the point is:

"I'm really tempted by the new release from XYZ. I love their wines. I hear 200X is a great vintage for them."

We respond: "Don't do it. How many bottles do you already have from XYZ? Drink some! There's will always be another great vintage."

Okay David. I will try that approach. But I'm not making any promises. Intervention only goes so far. :)
Sam

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:30 pm

Jeff Dudley wrote:A nice Colombard ? Tell me more.

Jeff,

Whenever you get off of probation the 2005 Domaine De Mirail is a tasty Colombard at $11.00. I've not been a huge fan of that grape, but the Mirail is a nice sipper.
Sam

no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:07 pm

Real progress from here.
The good news:
I realized that buying decisions are much more controlled when traveling and knowing a shipper has only so many slots. I only buy things I really (as in truly) want.
I've looked at cellar tracker to see my typical purchasing and consumption rates, and decided to limit my purchases to 18 bottles/month (with some exceptions I won't bore you further with), which should lead to inventory reduction even if consumption holds steady (though I hope it will rise!).

The better news: I shared this plan with my wife, who recognized it as rational and overdue.

The best news: This made her feel better about the 600-bottle Vinotheque I bought cheap at an estate sale today (won't take long to "save" enough in unpurchased bottles to pay for it).

Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:11 pm

The best news: This made her feel better about the 600-bottle Vinotheque I bought cheap at an estate sale today (won't take long to "save" enough in unpurchased bottles to pay for it).

Charles, you`re de man!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:44 pm

Charles Weiss wrote:I realized that buying decisions are much more controlled when traveling and knowing a shipper has only so many slots. I only buy things I really (as in truly) want.
I've looked at cellar tracker to see my typical purchasing and consumption rates, and decided to limit my purchases to 18 bottles/month (with some exceptions I won't bore you further with), which should lead to inventory reduction even if consumption holds steady (though I hope it will rise!).

So effectively, Charles, your strategy is to buy the same amount of wine each month, but drink more? I'm not sure that is in keeping with the spirit of wine probation even if your wife does support the plan.
Last edited by Sam Platt on Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:57 pm

Now increased consumption is an idea I can get behind!
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:09 pm

Sam Platt wrote:
Charles Weiss wrote:I realized that buying decisions are much more controlled when traveling and knowing a shipper has only so many slots. I only buy things I really (as in truly) want.

So effectively, Charles, your strategy is to buy the same amount of wine each month, but drink more? I'm not sure that is in keeping with the spirit of wine probation even if your wife does support the plan.

No, it's a decrease in number of bottles purchased (about 25-30/month now), and less than current consumption.
If I can do it.
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:32 am

I tried Charles`s method....>No, it's a decrease in number of bottles purchased (about 25-30/month now), and less than current consumption.

I am consuming less but the crates and boxes seem to be piling up! Mrs P is convinced that recent vintages are to die for but wonders when it is all going to quieten down.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:25 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I tried Charles`s method....>No, it's a decrease in number of bottles purchased (about 25-30/month now), and less than current consumption.

I am consuming less but the crates and boxes seem to be piling up! Mrs P is convinced that recent vintages are to die for but wonders when it is all going to quieten down.

Mrs. P? THERE'S A MRS. P? I have somehow always believed you to be a bachelor, Doris.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:29 am

Jenise wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Mrs. P? THERE'S A MRS. P? I have somehow always believed you to be a bachelor, Doris.

Or a bachelorette? :mrgreen:

I cannot subscribe to any of this. I have less than a 150 bottles. When do I stop? I was at the wine store yesterday and bought everything on the table. Help!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:08 pm

Well, I am sort of single! Better-half might be a better line!!!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:40 am

Support group I need your help. Tell me why I should NOT buy a Valpolicella Superiore Ripassa with great reviews at $29.99 and while your at it, help me avoid a purchase of Barroche CdP. (Are you familiar with Barroche? The few wines from this producer that I have sampled in the past were yummy.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:08 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Support group I need your help. Tell me why I should NOT buy a Valpolicella Superiore Ripassa with great reviews at $29.99 and while your at it, help me avoid a purchase of Barroche CdP. (Are you familiar with Barroche? The few wines from this producer that I have sampled in the past were yummy.)

Well I've never had a Valpolicella that ended up being as good as anyone said it was.

While you're at it, the quality level of Cotes du Rhone is so high now that I see little reason to buy Chateauneuf.
PreviousNext