The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What's your STOM?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

What's your STOM?

by Redwinger » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:41 am

The month isn't over, but what has been you wine STOM (Steal of the Month)? Are there any great bargains out there that you've discovered?
I've been in a "reduce the cellar" mode for a couple of months, so I haven't really had any flaming bargains lately. Although the 2006 ESJ Gamay @$13 is pretty nice. But, then again, Steve's wines always are value priced IMO.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: What's your STOM?

by Howie Hart » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:49 am

Next week I'll be picking up about 250 lbs. of locally grown Pinot Noir for about 75 cent/lb. That should yield about 85 bottles for about $2.25/bottle. I'm planning on making 35 bottles of Blanc de Noir and 50 bottles or red. :)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:18 am

Howie Hart wrote:Next week I'll be picking up about 250 lbs. of locally grown Pinot Noir for about 75 cent/lb. That should yield about 85 bottles for about $2.25/bottle. I'm planning on making 35 bottles of Blanc de Noir and 50 bottles or red. :)

Oh, ya! Howie is the bomb! :D
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:35 am

2006 Joseph Drouhin Bourgogne Pinot Noir - $15
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:09 pm

Cono Sur Pinot Noir $10 - Chilean Pinot Noir? Yes! Earthy and light - you could tell me I was drinking basic Bourgogne and I'd believe it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:18 pm

Redwinger wrote:Although the 2006 ESJ Gamay @$13 is pretty nice. But, then again, Steve's wines always are value priced IMO.

DARN nice. As I recall, it was around $17 here. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:10 pm

Domaine Manoir du Carra 2006 Beaujolais-Villages, $11. Used to be under $10. But absolutely delightful.
no avatar
User

Felix Warners

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:55 pm

Netherlands, Zandvoort and Zeist

by Felix Warners » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:13 am

It's probably not a steal but I bought some bottles of Amon Ra 2005 for 39Euro's and I'm looking forward to open a bottle.
The 2007 halbtrocken Rieslings of Schafer-Frohlich are steals for sure, amazing wines!
"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:07 am

I was mighty happy with Glatzer '06 Grüner Veltliner for $9.99. A "starter" GV to be sure, but it shows the classic character, and in these times, any interesting wine under 10 bucks has to count for something.

Runner-up: Villa Pozzi 2007 Nero d'Avola for $8.99. It's interesting to me that the low-end Nero d'Avolas seem a bit less likely to be Parkerized monolithic fruit bombs than the more pricey stuff. This one's nice, with good acidity, a touch of complexity and some tannins to carry it down the road a bit.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:24 am

:? Nothing bought in the last month - very rare :oops:
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:25 am

Ian Sutton wrote::? Nothing bought in the last month - very rare :oops:

BRAVO, Ian
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:27 am

I saw some well-priced bargain-bin wines yesterday but I didn't purchase any. A 1990 Cornu Aloxe-Corton for 30USD and some Clair Marsannay rose from 2001 and 2002 for 5USD. I wasn't sure how the Clair aged but was very tempted for the price, although in the end I didn't want to carry it..
no avatar
User

Doug Levens

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:38 pm

by Doug Levens » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Several 97 Huet le Mont Moelleux 1er Trie for $40 on close out. :D
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:22 pm

MtBakerDave wrote:Cono Sur Pinot Noir $10 - Chilean Pinot Noir? Yes! Earthy and light - you could tell me I was drinking basic Bourgogne and I'd believe it.

Dave, what vintage is that Cono Sur? I can get that wine locally for $7.50 per and 10% off if I want a case. BTW, Montes makes a pretty decent chilean pinot too. Thanks.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:36 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Dave, what vintage is that Cono Sur? I can get that wine locally for $7.50 per and 10% off if I want a case. BTW, Montes makes a pretty decent chilean pinot too. Thanks.

What I'm seeing is the 2007. And $7.50 is a great price too. Washington is definitely an expensive place to buy wine. Would you say Kentucky is an inexpensive state generally? Cono Sur has a whole line of varietals, and I'm seeing the brand in a lot of the better grocery stores around town. I can't vouch for any but the PN though. That's the only one I got a chance to taste.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:59 am

MtBakerDave wrote:What I'm seeing is the 2007. And $7.50 is a great price too. Washington is definitely an expensive place to buy wine. Would you say Kentucky is an inexpensive state generally? Cono Sur has a whole line of varietals, and I'm seeing the brand in a lot of the better grocery stores around town. I can't vouch for any but the PN though. That's the only one I got a chance to taste.

I was getting the Cono Sur "visions" SB for the $7.50 price, but that was a under priced. I now get the regular SB for that and it is worth the price easily. Haven't tried the other wines, but based on these two I suspect they are good for thew price. I don't think of Ky as expensive on prices, but I do think that my retailers are deficient in some areas, like the Loire etc. My largest retailer (Liquor Barn) has a habit of raising prices on in stock wines when the new vintage is up in price, and I hate that.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:21 am

I was getting the Cono Sur "visions" SB for the $7.50 price, but that was a under priced.

Bob, the Vision label rocks. Out of stock here right now but coming back shortly. Min $24 for most varietals!
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:25 am

Vini di Bacco Vino da Tavola Rosso NV for $5. Did fall apart a few hours after openning, but the first two glasses were lovely.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

by Steve Kirsch » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:10 pm

Two from Dressner, purchased locally: 2005 Clos Roches Blanche Cabernet; reduced to $12. Can still use a year or two to soften up. Also Mas St. Joseph "Aventure" reduced to a few cents over $11. What a lovely wine for the money.
Last edited by Steve Kirsch on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:34 pm

2002 Beaulieu Tapestry $.99.

Of course to get it at that price, you have to buy an expensive Clone 337 Cab. :oops: :twisted:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:10 pm

"Petit Caprice" 2007 Vin du Pays du Vaucluse, 75% grenache, 25% syrah, real bistro wine (as opposed to "bistro-style" wine) for $7.99.

Woulda coulda shoulda: Steal of the Year was 2002 Domaine de la Guintrandy Visan Cotes du Rhone Village, $9.99. Fastest seller of the year in our shop, and with good reason!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:24 pm

MtBakerDave wrote:Cono Sur Pinot Noir $10 - Chilean Pinot Noir? Yes! Earthy and light - you could tell me I was drinking basic Bourgogne and I'd believe it.

Really! Oswaldo reported quite favorably on it recently too...must find some. Does Vino Verite carry it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:48 pm

2005 Champy Bourgogne Rouge "Signature" for $19.99 ($16.99 if you buy a case.) With Burgundy prices so high, and this very food-friendly and enjoyable at a tasting, I consider this a steal.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:24 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:I don't think of Ky as expensive on prices

One oddity: As I understand it, Kentucky sales tax is embedded in wine and liquor prices. It isn't calculated separately at the end, but adds a hidden 6% to the shelf price. In Louisville, the wine market is fairly competitive, which seems to hold prices down at most shops except Liquor Barn, which seems to have high prices for most stuff but occasionally gets back-up-the-truck deals from the wholesalers and passes along the swag.
Next