The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Graves: Haut-Bailly 1978 and 1985; Magence Blanc 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 2 Graves: Haut-Bailly 1978 and 1985; Magence Blanc 2004

by Saina » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:46 pm

Mid summer partying was aided by some nice Graves. The red, though Peppercorn says that the 79 is better, was sublime. The white seemed a nice, if rather too young, Graves as well - it would be interesting to see what a few years do this wine.

• 1978 Château Haut-Bailly - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (6/24/2006) no abv, c.60 euros from http://www.belgiumwinewatchers.com
    A lightish red, some orange at rim. The nose is clearly evolved, but not at all over the top and has admirable complexity: sweet, deliciously fruity with red berries, earth, herbs, a touch of cigar and a hint of that singed or swamp-like scent that I get with older Merlot. But apart from that small scent, this seems more Burgundian that Claret - so much so that given blind, I would almost certainly have said old Burgundy! The palate is also, IMO, at peak now with sweet fruit, not at all drying despite still being a little tannic, lovely acidity, lovely balance and an interminable aftertaste. Lovely!
  • 2004 Château Magence - France, Bordeaux, Graves (6/24/2006) 12% 12,15 euros from our abysmal monopoly, Alko
    Very light gold. The nose is on the first day very Sauvignonny with grass, blackcurrant leaves and a slight minerality, and a hint of oak. On the second day, Sémillon's honey is better in evidence and the nose is more harmonious and pleasant with a delightful cranberry component. The palate is nicely acidic, not very obviously fruity but still balanced, long and slightly mineral. Not a special wine in any way, but a really nice cheap wine.

Posted from CellarTracker
Last edited by Saina on Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: 2 Graves: Haut-Bailly 1978; Magence Blanc 2004

by Saina » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:15 pm

Well, not much interest apparently in a frigging fantastic old style Bx, but as my friend and I loved the 78 we met up again today for some chunks of bloody meat and the 85. Which was nice:

• 1985 Château Haut-Bailly - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (7/2/2006) c.45€ from Belgium Wine Watchers; no abv.
    Still a rather deep red. Plump and fleshy like 85s usually are. Typically earthy and with cassis and again the more red toned fruit than I get with much Bordeaux. The palate is a touch tannic still but fleshy and layered.

Brilliant stuff if you like the plush vintages. Me? I liked it well enough and will gladly more bottles if I find them this cheaply, but I really would like a touch more acidity. Nice with bloody meat of course.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

Re: WTN: 2 Graves: Haut-Bailly 1978; Magence Blanc 2004

by Mike Conner » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:10 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Well, not much interest apparently in a frigging fantastic old style Bx....[/list]

Otto,

If you were refering to lack of "discussion" on your note, I would have except I've not had the '78 Haut Bailly. But, other '78s I've had poured for me (or, by me) have ranged from 'eh' all the way to holy cow fantastic, why did I not afford more?

I also lack "relatively easy access" to a source as you have. But, this may be a good thing as I'm broke enough as it is.

Keep posting tasting notes...

Thanks,

Mike