The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '04 Alaia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

WTN: '04 Alaia

by Carl Eppig » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:31 pm

2004 Dehesa de Rubiales, Alaia ($12). We paid $28 in a restaurant. Alcohol level: 14.5%. It is a blend of Prieto Picudo (50%), Tempranillo and a touch of Merlot.

The wine is almost jet black to the eye. It gives a blast of black fruit to the nose and tongue tip. With a body you could almost cut with knife, the middle is incredibly complex with chewy tannin. The finish lingers and lingers.

We matched it with a lamb dish that had the meat in a spicy tomato sauce with roasted summer squash all on a bed of cous cous. The wine went perfectly with it. A dinner companion who ate turkey meatballs in a pink vodka sauce on pasta also enjoyed the wine with it.

We were celebrating our 45th anniversary, and our friend was celebrating her (???) birthday.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: WTN: '04 Alaia

by OW Holmes » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:03 am

A very interesting wine, and a very rare grape. I hadn't had a bottle on the shelves in the last couple of years had a couple of bottles from 2000 in my cellar. Thanks to your reminder, I dusted off a bottle and popped the cork last night. Nice brick color with slight amber effect at the edges. Dark but still transparent. The nose was very modest, or maybe I am coming down with a cold. The 2000 had lost all the edges I thought I remembered, but retained the sweet mixed red and black fruit I remember, but this time was accompanied by something like those hard butterscotch candies. A little too sweet for my taste, but definitely interesting. Lacking in any of the earthiness I usually want in a wine, but still interesting.
The bottle in my cellar had three price tags on it, and I think I picked it up from the closeout bin. The closeout tag had it at 5.99. If that's what I paid, it was one H of a bargain.
Thanks for your notes reminding me of this interesting wine, and interesting (and almost unknown) grape. (Try looking up prieto picudo in a grape glossary or on the net. Unless there has been a lot written in the 4 years, when I last tried, you won't find much.)
-OW
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: WTN: '04 Alaia

by Carl Eppig » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:40 am

Picked up another bottle locally for $9.99. We enjoyed it last night with Sweet and Sour Eggplant Soba. This is definitely a wine worth looking for.