The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bay Area--Croation Wines/Winemaker Tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Bay Area--Croation Wines/Winemaker Tasting

by Hoke » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:49 pm

Taking liberties hee, but thought it might be of interest to SF Bay Area folks. Frank Dietrich imports some Croatian and Hungarian wines, and he recently e-mailed me an invitation. I'll bet Frank wouldn't mind if interested winegeeks contacted him to see if they could get in on any of these four events.

(Disclsoure: I am not affiliated with Frank. I've had some of his wines and they tend to be interesting and well selected---if off the well-trod path. How often do you get a chance to taste Plavac Mali and Posip alongside a winemaker from the area?)

Blue Danube Wine Company invites you to:

Meet Croatian Winemaker Alen Bibich
They're calling it the New Riviera. In fact, the country's comeback has been so glamorous that it currently ranks as one of Europe's hottest summer vacation spots. It’s also famous as a country with one of the world’s oldest traditions in making distinctive wines.

If you cannot visit Croatia and see for yourself we can offer a great alternative: Explore fine Croatian wines right here at home. Taste the unique flavors of Babich, Plavac, Debit, or Posip grape varietals. You’ll experience a wine world that’s refreshingly contemporary but informed by a two thousand century old heritage of wine making.

Meet the wine maker Alen Bibich on his first trip to the U.S. at three convenient locations around the Bay Area. Bibich is among the avantgarde of young Croatian wine makers: well educated, ambitious, and ready to show the world the riches of Croatian wine culture.

Alen Bibich will pour four of his best wines. He’ll demonstrate what wines made from native Croatian grapes taste like. He is equally competent when it comes to crafting top-notch wines from international varietals such as Grenache and Syrah. Bibich likes to challenge his wine-making colleagues and critiques around the world and show that his wines can compare with the best.

Wines are offered by the glass and as flights. The menus feature Mediterranean – Croatian cuisine.

Hamilton Café, Novato: Monday, June 26, 6 – 8pm
502 S Palm Drive (415) 382-0155
Host: Zoran Matulic

Lavanda Restaurant and Wine Bar, Palo Alto: Tuesday, June 27, 6 – 8pm
185 University Ave. (650) 321-3514
Hosts: Bruce Schmidt and Luka Dvornik

CAV Wine Bar, San Francisco: Wednesday, June 28, 6 – 8pm
1666 Market Street, (415) 437-1770
Host: Pamela Busch

Please join us for this special event.

Frank and Zsuzsa
Blue Danube Wine Company
T/F (650) 941-4699
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Bay Area--Croation Wines/Winemaker Tasting

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:48 pm

Hoke wrote:Taking liberties hee, but thought it might be of interest to SF Bay Area folks. Frank Dietrich imports some Croatian and Hungarian wines, and he recently e-mailed me an invitation. I'll bet Frank wouldn't mind if interested winegeeks contacted him to see if they could get in on any of these four events.

I would expect that this event will be rendered all the more fascinating by the presence (assuming that he's in town) of the inimitable Mike Grgich. Just make sure that your wife/daughter/niece/SO isn't seated anywhere close to him.

Mark Lipton

p.s. Is 'Croation' the Dalmatian equivalent of Genesis? :P