The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN /Wine Advisor: Another Aussie blend

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN /Wine Advisor: Another Aussie blend

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:50 am

Another Aussie blend

If you think we've been featuring a lot of Australian white blends lately, you're right: This increasingly popular niche includes a lot of refreshing and table-worthy wines that aren't just thirst-quenching but interesting.

Today's featured wine, Shoofly 2007 "Buzz Cut" Wine of Australia, imported in the U.S. by the reliable importer Old Bridge Cellars, is a thoroughly unconventional blend of Viognier 35%, Riesling 26%, Chardonnay 16%, Verdelho 12%, Semillon 6%. (Some vintages, but not this one, add a bit of Sauvignon Blanc.)

Offbeat white blends often face the charge of "muddied" flavors, much like a painter who mixes a little too much red, green, blue and yellow to achieve a dull brown color on his palate. But I've encountered no such problem with recently tasted Aussie white blends, which - at least to my taste buds - tend not so much to favor one or two of the components as to present a new, balanced and interesting result.

Shoofly 2007 "Buzz Cut" Wine of Australia ($11.99)

Clear, bright straw color. Pleasant citrus, peach and subtle herbal aromas emerge from the glass, suggesting no specific grape variety but aromatic and appealing overall. Mouth-filling and crisply acidic, flavors follow the nose; tart acidity forms a solid backbone for refreshing, not overblown fruit, with a distinct citric snap in a long finish. Very good food wine, with impressive balance and complexity for a white at this price. A blend of 35% Viognier, 26% Riesling, 16% Chardonnay, 12% Verdelho and 6% Semillon; the label claims a reasonably rational 13.5% alcohol. U.S. importer: Old Bridge Cellars, Napa, Calif. (July 27, 2008)

FOOD MATCH: Good just about anywhere a full, acidic white will go. It was fine with a fricasee of chicken parts with carrots, onions and fresh garden tomatoes with orzo pasta.

VALUE: A fine buy at this price.

WHEN TO DRINK: It's tough to predict ageworthiness for unusual blends, and this one is clearly made for immediate enjoyment. That said, I see no reason this wouldn't hold, and possibly gain richness, over a few years' cellar time.

WEB LINK:
Here's a link to the producer's fact sheet on the "Buzz Cut" wines:
http://www.shooflywines.com/wine/buzzcut/index.html
For the producer's PDF tasting report on this specific wine, click:
http://www.shooflywines.com/media/tasti ... zz_Cut.pdf

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE:
Find vendors and compare prices for Shoofly "Buzz Cut" on Wine-Searcher.com:
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/Shoof ... g_site=WLP

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN /Wine Advisor: Another Aussie blend

by Rahsaan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Offbeat white blends often face the charge of "muddied" flavors..

Count me in as someone who is generally skeptical of white blends. (Actually, I'm not usually a fan of red blends either although that is more of a stylistic thing and less about quality). However, this past weekend I too was pleasantly surprised by a restaurant brand silvaner-rivaner blend, which was the last thing I expected to be delicious. Nothing to get too excited about, but like your wine it was refreshing and it actually had a pleasing bit of minerality and precision.

That said, one glass was enough before I switched to beer :D
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:29 pm

Robin,

I just had a glass of this last night at my favorite local restaurant. I had spaghetti and shrimp in a lemon cream sauce. The wine paired beautifully with the dish.

I'm not a huge white wine drinker, and I was skeptical with all those varietals in one bottle, but it was a really nice wine for the price. I was going to try and find some of this locally but if not I'll try to order some.
Patti
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:43 pm

Patti L wrote:I just had a glass of this last night at my favorite local restaurant. I had spaghetti and shrimp in a lemon cream sauce. The wine paired beautifully with the dish

Small world, Patti! I'm glad you liked the wine and didn't have to post, "Robin, you're an idiot." :D

That pairing sounds just right. Good call!
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:04 am

I had this last night with some baked salmon and vegetables in a light butter sauce, and it was very nice! I definitely agree with Robin's comment about the impressive balance and complexity for the price.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt