The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Five from Susana Balbo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: Five from Susana Balbo

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:05 am

Aguinaldo Záckia Albert, a knowledgeable and affable São Paulo wine writer, holds tastings at a nearby restaurant, and I decided to go to this one because it featured the wines of Susana Balbo. The mid-level Crios series is a best-seller, but the few that I’ve tasted were just not my palate. Since I’m not a fan of Catena’s best-selling Alamos series but appreciate their higher end wines, this was an opportunity to, perhaps, come to a similar conclusion with respect to Balbo.

Susana Balbo had an illustrious career at several wineries, including Catena Zapata, until she and her husband, Pedro Marchevsky, an agricultural engineer, went solo in 1999. They built a state of the art winery in Agrelo, Lujan de Cujo, and have been extremely successful. Susana takes care of vinification, and Pedro of viticulture. Susana is also president of Wines of Argentina, the most important Argentinean trade organization. Phyloxera never made it to Balbo’s neck of the Andes so, according to Aguinaldo, all Balbo wines are made from ungrafted rootstocks.

2007 Domínio Del Plata Crios de Susana Balbo Rosé de Malbec 14% (Brazil cost $28, US cost $9)
Dark cranberry color, unusually dark for a rosé. Fresh nose of strawberry and stems. Soft tannins, pronounced acidity, very noticeable alcohol, some additional cherry. Thick glycerin tears on the glass. Way too hot for my taste. The room seemed to like it, but I just don’t get the point of this. Perhaps their marketing dept. has identified an unsatisfied demand for rosé in the lumberjack community.

2007 Dominio Del Plata Crios de Susana Balbo Malbec 14% (Brazil cost $34, US cost $10)
Dark ruby. Aargh, telltale nose of American oak vanilla, plus eucalyptus and toast. Aguinaldo says 50% American oak, 50% French oak. Plum flavor with toast. Very noticeable alcohol, way too hot for my taste. Unlike the rosé, in this case I cut some slack because of the pre-pubescence. But, still, I wonder why anyone would want to drink plum toast flambée.

2005 Dominio Del Plata Crios de Susana Balbo Syrah/Bonarda 13.5% (Brazil cost $34, US cost $12)
Darker ruby. 50% each grape. More interesting nose of plum, caramel and burnt sugar. Tastes a bit like cough syrup with pepper. Less body than preceding, and I don’t like the sudden suspicion that body, here, appears 100% correlated to alcohol content. Liked this a little better, perhaps because it has some age. Next!

2005 Dominio Del Plata Ben Marco Malbec 13.7% (Brazil cost $68, US cost $13)
Even darker ruby, almost black. 90% malbec/10% bonarda. 11 months in French oak. Nose shows plum, caramel and mint. Excellent mouth feel, good fruit, alcohol much better integrated. My WOTN (not saying much), though it fell apart in the glass towards the end of the evening. Not a kosher wine.

2005 Dominio Del Plata Susana Balbo Cabernet Sauvignon 14% (Brazil cost US$85, US cost $28)
Almost black. 85% cabernet/15% merlot. 13 months in new French oak. Blackberry nose with a hint of rosemary. Very tannic, medicinal flavor, some chocolate. Very alcoholic, again too hot for my taste. Develops some complexity with aeration, ends the evening better than the preceding, though with an indeterminate personality, neither Bordeaux nor Argentina.

In conclusion, obviously I came away unimpressed. High alcohol content does not usually bother me, but here it did. I asked Aguinaldo why the alcohol levels were so high, and he said it was because of the heat in Mendoza, which makes grapes very ripe. That doesn’t jive with information I’ve read elsewhere, that 2006 was the first vintage in which the majority of producers in Mendoza did not have to chaptalize. Perhaps someone better informed can chime in on this. No tango analogies, please.

So, the wines of Susana Balbo are competently made but, I’m sorry, they just seem to me utterly lacking in soul (obviously the soul of a vine does not reside in its rootstock, otherwise we’d be lost). Perhaps this sample wasn’t representative of Balbo’s very best, but there was too much alcohol and not enough finesse, possibly a nod to supercharged contemporary palates. At the medium level, I prefer Felipe Rutini and Catena, and Achaval-Ferrer’s basic malbec. At the lower end, I prefer Rutini’s Trumpeter line to either Alamos or Crios. At the higher end, Achaval-Ferrer’s Fincas and the Vina Cobos Marchiori remain the benchmarks for malbec. Alas, the search continues.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTNs: Five from Susana Balbo

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:12 pm

I've had four or five Susana Balbo wines in the past, and they have never left a notable impression. Competent is a fine term for them.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:18 pm

The only Crios I've had that got me to take a second look was the Torrontes. The rest I've tried haven't been offensive but weren't worth buying.
no avatar
User

Wink Lorch

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:16 pm

London/France

by Wink Lorch » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:58 pm

Hi Oswaldo
I have to weigh in on a few points here, also knowing Susana and Pedro quite well, and having been lucky enough to have visited Mendoza a few times - though not for too long.
Firstly, just for the record:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:Susana Balbo had an illustrious career at several wineries, including Catena Zapata, until she and her husband, Pedro Marchevsky, an agricultural engineer, went solo in 1999. They built a state of the art winery in Agrelo, Lujan de Cujo, and have been extremely successful. Susana takes care of vinification, and Pedro of viticulture. Susana is also president of Wines of Argentina, the most important Argentinean trade organization. Phyloxera never made it to Balbo’s neck of the Andes so, according to Aguinaldo, all Balbo wines are made from ungrafted rootstocks.

Their state of the art winery is small and was only finished in 2002/03 - Pedro left Catena in 2002. Susana had made wine under her own name in borrowed winery facilities up to then, mainly for British wine merchants.
Phylloxera has hardly made it anywhere significantly in Argentina though it does exist (unlike in Chile). Over 90% of the vines in Argentina are ungrafted, I believe. The reasoning is given that ditch/flood irrigation is the norm rather than the exception, so even if phylloxera is present, it gets flooded out. Those newer vine plantings on drip (and I think that the new vineyards Pedro has planted are on drip) are at greater risk but I think (not sure) that he didn't graft - in any case until recently most of the Susana Balbo range has been made from old vines that would likely be flood irrigated.

Oswaldo Costa wrote:I asked Aguinaldo why the alcohol levels were so high, and he said it was because of the heat in Mendoza, which makes grapes very ripe. That doesn’t jive with information I’ve read elsewhere, that 2006 was the first vintage in which the majority of producers in Mendoza did not have to chaptalize. Perhaps someone better informed can chime in on this. No tango analogies, please.

This is, I believe, mis-information. I don't believe producers in Mendoza have ever had to chaptalize. There are the same issues here as in many other areas concerning high alcohols related to being a relatively hot area with a relatively short growing season, so the quest for physiological ripeness from long hang time causing the higher alcohol levels.

Oswaldo Costa wrote:So, the wines of Susana Balbo are competently made but, I’m sorry, they just seem to me utterly lacking in soul (obviously the soul of a vine does not reside in its rootstock, otherwise we’d be lost). Perhaps this sample wasn’t representative of Balbo’s very best, but there was too much alcohol and not enough finesse, possibly a nod to supercharged contemporary palates. .... Alas, the search continues.

Apart from the Crios Torrontés which I've always enjoyed (made from Salta fruit from way up north - Susana started her career there), I have particularly enjoyed both the Ben Marco and the Susana Balbo blends much more than the single varietal wines - to me they've seemed more balanced and complex (and yes, they show more soul, something that cries out from both personalities Susana and Pedro. Pedro, by the way, makes the Ben Marco wines - the name comes from his side of the family).
Wink Lorch - Wine writer, editor and educator
http://winetravelmedia.com and http://jurawine.co.uk
Also http://www.winetravelguides.com
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:47 pm

Thanks for the very useful addendum, Wink.

I had a hunch that I had read that information about chaptalization in The Wine Advocate, so I researched and found that I had completely misremembered something that Jay Miller wrote about the 2006 vintage:

"2005 was thought to be one of the finest vintages until 2006 came along. Paul Hobbs says that the latter vintage is the first in which he did not have to acidify (acidulation is almost universally done here)."

Obviously very different, almost the opposite.

As for for the 1999 "going solo" date, I chose that date over 2002 because the Dominio del Plata site says: "In 1999, as a result of the need to express their love and dedication to viticulture and winemaking, Susana and Pedro started their own project together, renting facilities in others wineries of the region."

I very much look forward to trying the Crios Torrontés next to the Michel Torino and Colomé soon. They are just waiting for slightly warmer weather!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:29 pm

Oswaldo.... an Argentine winemaker caught chaptalizing (at least if he is making wine in Argentina) would be sent to jail !!!! :shock:

Argentine wine law does NOT allow the technique.
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:34 pm

On the topic of the higher end wines made by Pedro and Susana... here are some names to look out for in case folks like the Crios style and want to explore a little in higher-end wines made by this pair of winemakers:

- Ben Marco VMS (blend)
- Susana Balbo Brioso (blend)
- Susana Balbo Virtuoso (malbec dessert wine, late harvest)
- Nosotros (malbec)

FWIW... while Susana Balbo is best known for her Mablec.... IMO her best effort is her Cabernet Sauvignon.
Last edited by Alejandro Audisio on Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:52 am

Alejandro Audisio wrote:Oswaldo.... an Argentine winemaker caught chaptalizing (at least if he is making wine in Argentina) would be sent to jail !!!! :shock:

Argentine wine law does NOT allow the technique.

Sounds like they are forbidding something that would never be needed anyway in Mendoza, but I wonder if it might sometimes be a temptation for wineries in Patagonia.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:58 pm

Alejandro Audisio wrote:On the topic of the higher end wines made by Pedro and Susana... here are some names to look out for in case folks like the Crios style and want to explore a little in higher-end wines made by this pair of winemakers:

- Ben Marco VMS (blend)
- Susana Balbo Brioso (blend)
- Susana Balbo Virtuoso (malbec dessert wine, late harvest)
- Nosotros (malbec)

FWIW... while Susana Balbo is best known for her Mablec.... IMO her best effort is her Cabernet Sauvignon.

Ben Marco stares at me from the shelf everytime I visit downtown. Think I will take another looksie and see what all the fuss (grin) is about!!