The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

New wine movie "Bottle Shock" -- "Sideways" for 2008?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael Berger

Rank

Just got here

Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:42 pm

New wine movie "Bottle Shock" -- "Sideways" for 2008?

by Michael Berger » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I've just heard about a great new "wine movie" that's coming out in a few weeks (Aug 8 I believe). It's called "Bottle Shock" My friend saw it at a screening and said he loved it , even in some ways more than "Sideways", a movie I adore. I'm excited to see it!

I checked out the trailer on the website: http://www.bottleshockthemovie.com. Looks like it has a great cast. Alan Rickman is a fine actor as is Bill Pullman. It looks really funny. What do you think? I'm definitely going to see it, but thought I should share with fellow wine aficionados :). Which makes me wonder, what other wine movies are out there? There was "A Good Year" with Russel Crowe that I didn't really care for. Any others?

By the way, is "bottle shock" a real phenomena, where the wine can be tainted during travel due to the bottle being rustled about?
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: New wine movie "Bottle Shock" -- "Sideways" for 2008?

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:28 am

Not everyone agrees on this but there seem to be two kinds of travel shock.

The first is a short term shock in which the wine may go into a short dumb period after a long trip (especially by airplane or ship). Not a problem though because all one has to do is let the bottle rest for a week or two until it recovers. The second is the suggested hypothesis (with which I concur) that a flight of six hours or longer or an ocean voyage of 3 days or longer will basically deprive most red wines of one year of cellaring time. The second is quite (!!) controversial.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Leanne S

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Sonoma County

by Leanne S » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:09 am

It was filmed around here (here being Santa Rosa) , and a lot of people were extras-- not me, though. Still I'll be looking to see if I can spot any familiar people or places.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:40 am

Michael Berger wrote: I'm definitely going to see it

Hi Michael

It is very good of you to go to the time and trouble to register for this forum and post so enthusiastically about a film that you haven't seen.

But I am a little confused and I am wondering just memorable the film is since you seem to have forgetton that you have already seen the movie -- according to your post on the Decanter website I recently saw Bottle Shock and thought it was -- see http://www.decanter.com/news/174931.html
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:55 am

I actually thought Sideways was terrible, as was Mondovino, so I'm no hurry to see this one...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:40 am

Oooo, you old cynic, Peter :)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:46 am

Michael Berger wrote:by the way, is "bottle shock" a real phenomena, where the wine can be tainted during travel due to the bottle being rustled about?

Well, as Daniel R says, travel shock can be controversial. I personally am an agnostic. I lean towards thinking that long ocean voyages definitely have an effect. Car and plane trips tend to arouse more controversy. I'm carrying 2 bottles to CA for an offline next week, we'll see how they fare.
Bottle shock (the dumbing of wine just after being bottled) is a different matter, and is generally accepted.
BS stealth marketing is less accepted, and makes me less interested in seeing movie.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:15 am

Re: travel shock

I was told the following by the person who received us a few years ago at Camille Giroud and who travelled at lot to display their wines. He claimed that wines served straight after the trip were fine but that they went through a bad patch once allowed to rest.

My own experience is limited but on one occasion I took a bottle of Haut-Brion 66 and one of Bonnes Mares 69 to a London offline by Eurostar train and then by tube train, both bottles were served almost immediately and were absolutely outstanding.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:11 pm

Peter May wrote:
Michael Berger wrote: I'm definitely going to see it

Hi Michael

It is very good of you to go to the time and trouble to register for this forum and post so enthusiastically about a film that you haven't seen.

But I am a little confused and I am wondering just memorable the film is since you seem to have forgetton that you have already seen the movie -- according to your post on the Decanter website I recently saw Bottle Shock and thought it was -- see http://www.decanter.com/news/174931.html

Nice spot Peter. I really hate this stuff, as Dale says it really makes me not want to see this movie. Why can't we just have our little internet without PR hacks and their clumsy, phony, junk?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:52 pm

The trailer's awful: it has Hollywood Studio Production written all over it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:07 pm

Jenise,

You should see what Spurrier had to say about the movie--look into that Decanter link.

There's a Michael Berger in Hollywood who does voice over, and he also was part of a local radio scene called Berger and Prescott, or the other way around. Are you that Michael Berger? Did you do a v.o in Bottle Shock?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:11 pm

Michael Berger wrote:...By the way, is "bottle shock" a real phenomena, where the wine can be tainted during travel due to the bottle being rustled about?
While others have addressed your question, I've always considered "bottle shock" as the effect bottling has on the wine. Often, adjustments are made to wines just prior to bottling, such as acid adjustments and additions of SO2 and/or a sweetening step. In addition, the wines may become aeriated during the bottling process. As a home winemaker, it's my experience that wines need 6 weeks to 2 months to recover from this, during which the wines stabilizes and the aromatics are restored.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:51 pm

The trailer's awful: it has Hollywood Studio Production written all over it.

I think they got the title wrong - it should be "Bottle Schlock" from the looks of the trailer.