The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rhone and Rhonelike

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: Rhone and Rhonelike

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:09 pm

A few of us got together for a quickly put together but well organized dinner on Long Island. The one doing the organizing wanted to drink some Chateauneuf du Papes. Not everyone had them in his cellar, so we included Hermitage and California Syrah in the mix.

Our starter was not a Rhone. We had the 2004 Aubert Ritchie Chardonnay. I got a honeysuckle nose with lemon lime flavors on the lingering finish. I detected a bit of oak that should integrate nicely with time. I'm not a lover of California chard, but I liked this one.

There was lots of discussion surrounding the 1997 Tardieu Laurent Hermitage. There were opinions of barnyard aromas where I got bacon fat. I found the barnyard more on the palate than on the nose. I thought it more of a Burgundian style, and a wine that truly needed food. The 1998 Jaboulet La Chapelle seemed to be more of a modern styled Hermitage. A brightness showing youth was the first thing I noticed in the glass. A sweetness in the fruit was followed by a long, spicy finish. Blind, I wouldn't have picked this as Hermitage.

Next up were the big Syrahs. The 2002 DuMol Ryan had a muted nose, but the palate was peppery and plummy with a moderate finish. The 2003 Carlisle was all about black cherries and chocolate - what could be bad? It's a huge wine, and has the stuffing to keep for several years.

The Chateauneufs - my favorite flight. The 2001 Pegau Cuvee Laurence with its nose of roses and spices showed tremendous texture with slightly drying tannins. Then up was the 2001 Beaurenard Boiserenard and this showed a most complex nose of espresso, cocoa, and toasted coconut. A thick, rich mouthfeel with hints of sweet ruby red grapefruit and this was my WOTN. Both CdPs were oh so young.

A fun Wednesday night.
Diane
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Rhone and Rhonelike

by James Roscoe » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:36 pm

Diane,
As always, great notes. I need to get together a wine dinner this summer. What were you eating with the wines? Did you have something different with each flight or were the wines drunk in the absence of food? Just curious.
Cheers!
James
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:17 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Diane,
As always, great notes. I need to get together a wine dinner this summer. What were you eating with the wines? Did you have something different with each flight or were the wines drunk in the absence of food? Just curious.
Cheers!
James

James, thank you. We met at a very nice restaurant and ordered off the menu. I started with crab cakes to pair with the Aubert Chard. My main course was a crisp roasted duck with a raspberry glaze and that was delicious with all of the reds, especially the California Syrahs. We ended with a cheese course with which we finished up the wines. The Hermitage and the cheese was the best. Several of the attendees ordered rib steaks and thought they were terrific with the wines. One person chose a seared tuna entree, and while I love tuna, I would not have selected that with these wines.
James, for these wines, I really think some meaty dishes would be best. Have fun planning your dinner.
Diane
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:50 pm

Duck, mmmmmmmm........... Sounds delicious. Thanks for filling us in. I tend to agree that these sound like red meat wines. Keep up the good work!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:02 am

Diane, thanks for notes. Interesting and informative as usual. I really like 2001 CdPs overall. I'm a little surprised to see any Tardieu-Laurent described as Burgundian, but probably the result of the lighter year. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:05 pm

Nice notes, thanks! I am a bit surprised to hear that the T-L was more old world in style, while you describe La Chapelle as modern. My experiences have been just the opposite (though I'll admit, I haven't really tasted many Chapelles). Maybe it's the 98 vintage: I've found many 98s to be really plush and warm fruited and opulent? Or is this one of the more traditional T-Ls (yes, they make the occasional wine which isn't over oaked or spoofy)?

I'm also a fan of 2001 CdPs. I'm glad your Pegau was open - I tasted it a year or so back and thought it was closing up.

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:38 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Diane, thanks for notes. Interesting and informative as usual. I really like 2001 CdPs overall. I'm a little surprised to see any Tardieu-Laurent described as Burgundian, but probably the result of the lighter year. Thanks!

I was surprised to find the resemblance to Burgundy, although the barnyard hinted of the Rhone. I, too, would chaulk it up to the vintage.
Diane
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Nice notes, thanks! I am a bit surprised to hear that the T-L was more old world in style, while you describe La Chapelle as modern. My experiences have been just the opposite (though I'll admit, I haven't really tasted many Chapelles). Maybe it's the 98 vintage: I've found many 98s to be really plush and warm fruited and opulent? Or is this one of the more traditional T-Ls (yes, they make the occasional wine which isn't over oaked or spoofy)?

I'm also a fan of 2001 CdPs. I'm glad your Pegau was open - I tasted it a year or so back and thought it was closing up.

Otto

The Pegau was the Cuvee Laurence, so maybe that's more open than the basic bottling, of which I have several and haven't opened any, so I'm glad to get your take on that bottle. As far as La Chapelle, I didn't get any of the meaty characteristics so prevalent in Rhones. The fruit was up front, but for the most part, the wine was pretty much closed. Maybe it needs more time for it to show more Rhonelike.
Diane