The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: More Rieslings: Karthäuserhof and Loosen

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: More Rieslings: Karthäuserhof and Loosen

by Saina » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:54 pm

I'm almost not pining for Musar because I've been drinking so much Riesling and Muscadet recently! I still have 3/4 of the Karthäuserhof left to which I'll return tomorrow. I think it will benefit from more air.

• 1999 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Auslese Trocken - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Ruwer (6/15/2006)
    AP 3 561 303 29 00. 12,5% abv. Light gold. The nose is pungent and assertive, slightly petrolly already, steely and citrussy - lacking the charm of sweeter examples. The palate is a bit paradoxical: assertive and pungent, but lacking the weight of, say, Alsatian or Austrian dry Rieslings. Like many 1999s, this isn't quite as acidic as I would hope. So this has all the good traits of German Riesling, but none of the positive traits of Alsatian Riesling and as such is a pleasant enough wine (in fact very good!) but I am constantly reminded that something is lacking. Charm, perhaps, or sugar. Though I suppose in this case the words are synonyms. On a positive note, this isn't as cumbersome or obviously alcoholic (despite 12,5% abv) as most Auslese Trockens I've had. Very good, but not my style.
  • 2000 Dr. Loosen Erdener Prälat Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Middle Mosel (6/15/2006)
    From a half. AP 2 576 162 19 01. 7,5% abv. Gold. The nose is honeyed, slightly botrytised, strawberryish, not particularly mineral but nice. The palate is sweetish, not very obviously acidic, but still stays balanced and fresh. Long. A nice wine, but for some reason not all that memorable.

Posted from CellarTracker