The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Four Syrahs from Adelaida

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

WTN: Four Syrahs from Adelaida

by Randy Buckner » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:18 am

2003 Adelaida, Syrah, Paso Robles, California, $26, 648 cases. Dark in the glass, the wine displays modest, juicy black fruit, a hint of smoke, and moderate oak; 85/85.

2002 Adelaida, Syrah, Estate Reserve, Paso Robles, California, $55, 243 cases. Almost purple in the glass, the wine displays a mixed bag of red and black fruits, new leather and toasty oak. It is balanced and generous, but a little less interesting than their Glenrose bottling; 87/86.

2003 Adelaida, Syrah, Glenrose Reserve, Paso Robles, California, $55, 223 cases. Black fruit, smoke and berries dance on the nose. Very elegant on the entry, with silky tannins and great balance. Flavors mirror the aromas; 90/90.

2003 Adelaida, Syrah, Reserve, Viking Estate, Paso Robles, California, $55, 311 cases. Deep black fruit aromas and flavors, game, and dark wood notes are presented in a full, generous package; 87/85.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: WTN: Four Syrahs from Adelaida

by OW Holmes » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:14 am

Thanks for the notes, Bucko.
Remind me again what the dual numbering system means - rating/value? If so, what does it take to get a 90 value rating?
-OW
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:42 am

OW Holmes wrote:Thanks for the notes, Bucko.
Remind me again what the dual numbering system means - rating/value? If so, what does it take to get a 90 value rating?

1) Correct 2) My mood :wink: -- more arbitrary than not, OW. An SB scoring 90 points that costs $20 is not worth more than 90 on value. An SB scoring 87 points and costing $10 deserves a 90 value.... Most wines scoring 90+ points get a 90+ value as well, unless the price is out of reason, such as the cult Cabs from CA. You know as well as I do that value is subjective, but I try to be fair. I may not always succeed.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:52 am

Thanks for the explanation. Kind of like I figured.
-OW
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:23 pm

I've got California friends who love Adelaida wines and subscribe to their club, so I have tasted quite a few of their wines over the years. Due to the hot climate some have inevitably sung the jammy note way too loud for my taste, but over the years they've really won my respect for overall quality and consistency. When they're entered into a blind-tasting they'll nearly always be top finishers with our group.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:46 pm

sung the jammy note way too loud for my taste

Yes, they have that style I know you not not overly excited about. I personally don't mind jammy, but I do mind overripe.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:00 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:Four Syrahs from Adelaida

And there was me thinking you have spelt Adelaide wrong and were reviewing some South Australian shirazes. Glad I looked into this thread. Otherwise I would never have known.