The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '06 Glenora Riesling Finger Lakes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

WTN: '06 Glenora Riesling Finger Lakes

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:32 pm

2006 Glenora, Riesling, Finger Lakes ($14.99). Alcohol level: 11%. As some of you may know, their "regular" Riesling reminds you of their competitors' "semi-sweet." That is fine with us. If you want dryer they also makes an excellent Dry Riesling.

This one gave apples, pears, and peaches on the nose and upfront. It was nicely balanced and complex in the middle with more fruit, acid, and honey in the mix. It provided a very lovely finish.

We matched it with sautéed boneless pork chops, peas, and rolls. Excellent!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: '06 Glenora Riesling Finger Lakes

by Howie Hart » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:32 pm

I haven't been to Glenora in several years, so because of your post, I went to their website and was very disappointed to learn they no longer make a Vignoles. They used to make an excellent version. :(
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:10 pm

Howie Hart wrote: I went to their website and was very disappointed to learn they no longer make a Vignoles.

Their sister winery (owned by same folks) Kanpp, makes one. I would guess it is pretty much the same as the one Glenora made.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:18 am

Typo in Carl's post. It's KNAPP.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:37 am

Sorry about that. Find them at: http://www.knappwine.com/knappwinery/index.jsp
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:29 pm

We popped the last of our Glenora ’06 Rieslings tonight. It has matured even more since the previous one. It now possessed almost almondy overtones on the palate. The finish lingered longer too.

We matched it with roast boneless loin of pork with garlic, rosemary, EVOO pressed into it; along with roasted fingerling Yukon Golds, and nuked zucchini & onions. That’s my idea of a nice Tuesday night.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:30 pm

I left the Finger Lakes/German shootout with a bottle of the '06 Glenora Riesling. I'll have to try it again soon.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:19 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:We popped the last of our Glenora ’06 Rieslings tonight. It has matured even more since the previous one. It now possessed almost almondy overtones on the palate. The finish lingered longer too.

We matched it with roast boneless loin of pork with garlic, rosemary, EVOO pressed into it; along with roasted fingerling Yukon Golds, and nuked zucchini & onions. That’s my idea of a nice Tuesday night.

Carl: is Glenora using a synthetic closure on that wine? Seems odd that an '06 FL riesling is maturing much yet, unless it has one of those unpredictable closures. While FL riesling can age nicely, don't count on it if the closure isn't cork.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:15 am

Yes Joe, it does have a synthetic closure, but regardless it did seem more mature than it did six months ago.

Cheers,
Carl
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:39 am

I went to an event at Glenora about 5 years ago that included a vertical of 20 years or so of their Rieslings, none of which were "over the hill"
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:22 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Yes Joe, it does have a synthetic closure, but regardless it did seem more mature than it did six months ago.

Cheers,
Carl

That is exactly what I am getting at. Many of my bottles of FL riesling under synthetic corks have aged way too quickly. There seems to be wide variation too, with some bottles doing OK and others going to pot quickly. I wish they would go to screwcaps or stick with cork.

Back around 2000 I was fortunate enough to taste a vertical of every Standing Stone Gewurztraminer from the start (maybe 1991?) to 1999 - all were at least drinkable and a few had developed nicely. This is a grape that I normally prefer young. All bottles then were under cork, but now, with some recent bottles with synthetic closures, this wine can be quite unreliable after just a couple years. Pity.