The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Piemonte Adventures

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

WTN: Piemonte Adventures

by Agostino Berti » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:18 pm

Before I begin I'd like to raise a point. A sort of prologue tasting note. I recently had the Fobiano 2004 (Merlot-cabernet) from Umbria (a Parker favorite under superstar consulting oenologist Cotarella's umbrella) and the Cabreo -Il Borgo 2003 (sangiovese-cabernet) from Tuscany (apparently 91 pts. from Parker). They both seemed reasonable values at around 18 euros considering one is a "supertuscan" and the other was a Parker-Cotarella child. I thought I'd try them out to see if I wanted to buy more and add them to my cellar.

What struck me was how THICK they were. The Fobiano super-thick, the Cabreo, which I remembered as an elegant wine from an older vintage I tasted (its supposed to be mostly sangiovese, which is easily a see-thru grape) just thick. They were alright wines but now that I've outgrown Parker they struck me as highly untypical, not food-friendly, and not that appealing. They're thickness did not add to the pleasure but detracted.
I started thinking: how did they do this? Is there some powder? Is it alot of gum arabic (a stabilizer which also adds texture which an Italian winemaker told me is as common as using sulfites)? Did they use a concentrator ( an expensive machine, quite common these days, which removes water from the must)? Or is it just low yields? Can low yields do this? The aromas seemed crammed in, not natural and expansive. The color for the Cabreo was uncommonly dark for a mostly sangiovese wine. Result: I did not like these wines and I'm not buying more even though they would impress my friends.

Onwards:

On cellartracker I mistakenly ran into some highly favorable tasting notes on a Pinot Noir from the Asti area, home of great Barberas. Impressed by the variety, though limited number, and positive nature of these tasting notes I decided to pay this producer a visit. Especially since it is very hard to find Burgundy in Italy and I wanted some more Pinot Noir in my cellar (albeit from an odd area). The wine is called San Germano and it is produced by Marchesi Alfieri in the province of Asti. It is 100% Pinot Noir. The vines were brought over from Gevrey-Chambertin 150 years ago or something like that. Only around 4,000 bottles are made, which of course means not even 1,000 cases.

It was a beautiful day as I headed out to the town of San Martino Alfieri. The hills of Asti are breathtaking with their neat rows of vines, scattered old towns, castles, winding roads- all under a blue sky. In fact, it looked too good. Too perfect. Everything looked so well kept. I thought, could this be the land of anal people?
I arrived at the winery, apparently run by three "Marquis" sisters whom I never saw. The property was beautiful, a castle-like manor with different adjuncts within a perfectly kept town with a beautiful church. To make a long story short I went to the storage to pick out my wines, helped out by an older sardinian lady then I was taken to the offices by a young polish girl where there was a secretary in front of a computer. Every time I asked the polish girl a question she would go into these doors to ask the oenologist, a certain Mr. Olivero, for the answer. After a while I got tired and barged into the office to meet this guy. He was a skinny, fairly young fellow whom I'd already spoken to on the phone. I asked him if I could taste the wine (before I bought it.) Immediately, by the size of the office and his demeanor I could tell he was kinda anal. He took me to the tasting room and we tasted the 2006 pinot noir and a nebbiolo they had started making recently. He was definitely not a warm fellow and was quite high-strung. Italy is full of these self-important types who pretend they're busy when they're not. Not the kind of producer I like to visit. The wines were solid but I certainly thought "Do I want a wine made by an anal guy?" The tasting ended fairly quickly as he said he had a phone appointment to attend to. Nevertheless, I left the place with half a case of this rare Italian Pinot noir (2006) and two magnums (1998, 1999). Also one bottle of their top Barbera, Alfiero, which apparently won the Gambero Rosso 3 glasses award.

Onwards to my next adventure and central point of the story:

On sunday I had some free time so I thought, why not go visit this small producer I have been following for a few years who's not so far away? The town of Brusnengo is only about an hour and 15 minutes from Milan (driving Italian style, 95 mph). That is where Gianfilippo Barni lives, a small producer in an area of Piemonte that makes nebbiolo (an area that because of the fractured DOC system has remained obscure.) The general area is host to a number of DOC's which make nebbiolo based wines including: Gattinara, Sizzano, Boca, Lessona, Fara, Ghemme, Bramaterra and maybe more. To be fair the quality has been quite low in the last years so the obscurity is somewhat deserved. BUT, there are always gems in the hay my friends (one being the Ghemme of Antichi Vigneti di Cantalupo). There is always the lone winemaker travelling the road less travelled, somehow shunning mediocrity. One such oddity was Antonio Vallana from the 50's and 60's which, I was to find out later, was not considered as such by the locals but was probably made famous by a few reviews by our heralded Mr. Robert Parker.

So I called up the Barni winery beforehand to make sure Gianfilippo would be there since every time I go he usually never is (and his wife attends to me.) And this time also he tried to escape my grasp because he was going to spray the vineyards with an organic fungul treatment but alas it started raining and he could not. Almost every time I've gone to purchase wine in the past, usually in the evening, the man is out working in the vineyards. That tells me something about this guy (he's not in an office acting self-important). I arrive at 7 pm and his wife greets me.... she tells me he'll be right out. Finally the skinny but robust 47 year old winemaker Gian Filippo presents himself. He is the epitome of the kinds of wine producers I like to visit, follow, and buy wines from: a one man show, making not more than 30,000 bottles a year, in an under-the-radar appellation. Barni makes 5 wines:
Torrearsa - 60% vespolina, 40% cabernet franc
Mesolone - mostly croatina with a little nebbiolo and uva rara from 100 yr. old vines
Bramaterra, Vigneto Doss Pilun - 70% nebbiolo with croatina, uva rara and vespolina (the only one with DOC status)
Albaciara - 50% Erbaluce, 50% chardonnay
Cantagal - a special passito wine, 3,000 bottles. Each grape cluster is hung individually in his attic to dry. 50% Erbaluce, 50% chardonnay

To make a long story short I was there for 4 hours, until 11 at night. He made me taste the wines that hadn't been bottled yet from the 2005, 2006 and 2007 vintage - from barrique and from stainless steel. It was a very educational experience. The guy doesn't use a concentrator so each vintage has its individual character. He doesn't use any harmful pesticides, fertilizers or treatments (and I believe him.) He also makes wines from weird, unpopular grapes. His Mesolone which is made from the Croatina grape, which is a hopelessly tannic variety, is exactly that: black pepper in the nose and a mouth full of tannins...wonderful. His Torrearsa is probably the only wine in the world which is a mixture of Vespolina and Cabernet Franc. Most other examples of Vespolina I have found locally were disasters.

Barni thinks his 2001's are still too hard so he sold his 2002's instead and he is currently selling his 2003's while waiting for the 2001's to soften. That's commitment and that's the difficult choice a tiny, obscure producer like him has to make. His favorite vintages are 2004 and 2006 (might be useful information for other wines of the area). As we wrapped up he told me about a new, special wine he is releasing with the 2004's. It's made from a parcel of the vineyard of Doss Pilun at the highest (450m), most sunbaked point which is 100% nebbiolo. He insisted we pop open a bottle with some local cheese. I think it will be called vigna Belvedere and it was a wonderful wine- refreshingly different in character from Barolo area nebbiolo. Soaring red fruit and flowers in the nose, elegant full body and many fine tannins that melded with the cheese.
Despite my protests he gave me a discount on what I purchased. Each bottle was 9 Euros.

These past few nights I've been enjoying the 2003's that I bought.

Mesolone 2003 - 14% alc. Mostly Croatina (the Bonarda grape) with nebbiolo and vespolina.
Really impressive. Crazy wonderful, complex aromatics, you can definitely smell the nebbiolo influence. The color of the wine is dark tending toward ruby, no opaque rubbish here. The mouth is massive red fruits and black pepper finishing with great tannic-acidic structure. The wine glides down the throat without feeling like your drinking some chemically textured Parker wine. The next day the whole package was rounder, better behaved and delicious. The downside is that 2003 was hot as hell and though it probably contributed to this wine being so wonderful and drinkeable now, it also imparted a huge amount of alcohol. With a couple of glasses I started singing Nick Cave songs. I think this is an odd year for Barni's wines and they don't ususally show this massive. I'm enjoying the freakiness though.

Torrearsa 2003 - 14% alc. Vespolina and Cab Franc as mentioned above.
Slightly darker in color. This has more of a dark fruit with a touch of wild fur nose which is not as explosive as the Mesolone. Voluminous in the mouth with that same touch of wild aftertaste. Overall very pleasant and quite unique in a more subdued way. Good tannic end. The alcohol seems less intrusive on the mind.

I'm curious and anxious to taste the Bramaterra 2003.

Conclusion:

The advantage of living in Italy is that you have access to many very small producers who are not swayed by this Parker nonsense (or can't afford a concentrator). A consumer also has the choice to visit a producer directly and not be channeled into these fashionable Parkerized wines by commerce hungry distributors/importers. There is a joy in accepting vintage variations for what they are. With tools such as concentrators you remove these vintage differences resulting in wine tasting-appreciation becoming a farce. My other point is: why be anal, enjoy life and good things will follow.
“Seekers of gold dig up much earth and find little.”
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: WTN: Piemonte Adventures

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:48 pm

Beautiful report, Agostino! I could see and taste it all.

A shame these wines will most likely never make it to where I live. :(
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:32 pm

9 Euros, cor blimey!

A wonderful post Signor Berti.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:33 pm

Sounds fantastic! Makes one want to move to Italy!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

by Agostino Berti » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:06 am

Thanks guys. Writing that monster was a slog indeed but I felt I had to pay hommage to Gianfilippo Barni who was so hospitable and representative of the many small producers who work their ass off for very small renumeration. On my visit he didn't want anything from me and I didn't want anything from him we just shared a mutual passion for wine. Its producers like him that keep wine from becoming a globalized product. Yahooo! Hallelujah!

All the best,
Agostino
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:00 am

The second visit does sound much more appealing than the first.

But have you tasted the pinot neros yet? How bad were they?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:11 am

Thank you for a fascinating and extremely useful report. I also enjoyed and empathized with the sensibility that emerges from the words. I hope to visit Piemonte and tour a few (not anal) wineries in the Spring or Summer of next year, and will definitely include Barni in my plans.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:54 am

Agostino Berti wrote:He doesn't use any harmful pesticides, fertilizers or treatments (and I believe him.)

I also enjoyed your post but found the quoted line confusing. I understand not using any pesticides but not sure what one in implying by not using harmful pesticides. Any idea as to what pesticides are not harmful? I thought I understood that even the natural pesticides that have very short persistence periods could still kill beneficials which is disruptive to achieving the balance one is seeking for an integrated pest management approach.

Likewise I assume fertilizers is refering to chemical fertilizers and he is indeed augmenting the soil with compost, fish emulsions, or some other means of putting necesary nutrients back into the soil. Is this correct or is he really adding nothing back to the soil?

Last, by treatments are you are refering to sprays to prevent mildews and rots. This seems to be the case as you mention he was going to apply organic fungal treatments but it started to rain. So therefore you do not intend to state that he is not using any treatments just that he is using only organic treatments correct?
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

by Agostino Berti » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:28 am

Dear Brian, I appreciate your razor sharp inquiries. What I meant is that he uses no pesticides, not "non-harmful" ones. He told me about all these critters that live in his vineyard and how he has been trying to convince his neighbours not to use pesticides as well.

I don't know if he uses natural fertilizer or not, and if its fish compost or what.

Lastly, it has been raining all around these parts for something like a month. Very strange weather. So what I've heard, from a producer in Oltrepo' Pavese, is that every time it rains they have to go spray the "verde rame" ,which is copper something-or-other, to prevent mildews and rots. I know verde rame has been used for a long time in such applications but I don't think its quite good for the land or humans. Barni says he uses something else that's organic. He feels that in the long run the use of copper in the vineyard takes away from a wine's aroma. He told me that in the old days if a wine batch smelled reductive they'd run it over some copper to remove the off aromas. These are his rationalizations and he's certainly not a scientist so whether these assertions are true I have no idea.

Agostino
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

by Agostino Berti » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:04 am

Rahsaan,

I mentioned in the post that I tasted the wine before I bought it. It was young and tight but very solid. I also trusted some of the thoughtful notes I found on cellartracker regarding its potential evolution. I later tasted a 2004 and it was quite tasty although young: its got some of the classical pinot noir attributes but with a little more color, body, alcohol/ Asti terroir influence and Piemonte structure . The oenologist knew his stuff and just cause he's uptight doesn't mean his wine is bad. But will I go back and spend more money there with all the hundreds of small producers a few hours drive from me to discover (think Veneto, Piemonte, Friuli, Emilia-Romagna, Valtellina, Oltrepo')? Probably not. Did I mention his prices were double those of Barni's?
My feeling was: he works in a beautiful area, at a beautiful winery, in a beautiful office. What's he got to be uptight about? EGO my friend, his ego tortures him.

So anyways, I'm having a huge nebbiolo extravaganza tasting this thursday in Milan, are you comin'?
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:06 am

Agostino Berti wrote:Dear Brian, I appreciate your razor sharp inquiries. What I meant is that he uses no pesticides, not "non-harmful" ones. He told me about all these critters that live in his vineyard and how he has been trying to convince his neighbours not to use pesticides as well.

I don't know if he uses natural fertilizer or not, and if its fish compost or what.

Lastly, it has been raining all around these parts for something like a month. Very strange weather. So what I've heard, from a producer in Oltrepo' Pavese, is that every time it rains they have to go spray the "verde rame" ,which is copper something-or-other, to prevent mildews and rots. I know verde rame has been used for a long time in such applications but I don't think its quite good for the land or humans. Barni says he uses something else that's organic. He feels that in the long run the use of copper in the vineyard takes away from a wine's aroma. He told me that in the old days if a wine batch smelled reductive they'd run it over some copper to remove the off aromas. These are his rationalizations and he's certainly not a scientist so whether these assertions are true I have no idea.

Agostino

Thanks for the clarifications.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:16 am

Agostino Berti wrote:Rahsaan,

I mentioned in the post that I tasted the wine before I bought it. It was young and tight but very solid.

Ok, I missed that. But I agree with your analysis..

So anyways, I'm having a huge nebbiolo extravaganza tasting this thursday in Milan, are you comin'?

Sounds great. But so far away. My wife is actually passing through Milan tomorrow afternoon, but no nebbiolo for her..
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:30 am

Just to echo the others, Agostino, I really enjoyed your post. While I don't reflexively reject all aspects of "modernism," I share your unhappiness with the onslaught of the Cotarella style. "Thick" is a good word for it. I might add "chocolate-y." I certainly haven't tasted all the wines he's had a hand in (nor Michel Rolland's, for that matter), but the one's I have--be they Sangiovese- , Aglianico- , or Nero d'Avola-based--show a troubling homogeneity. Italy, of all places, should not be the land of one-wine-fits-all. Your report, thankfully, shows that it's not.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

by Agostino Berti » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:47 pm

Thank you Mr.Macsherry. The thing is all these "chocolatey" wines are made for the US and exported there. The US is a huge, rich market. We have plenty of non-Parkerized wines here they just don't make it to the U.S. I remember giving a super-Parker wine in my excited naivete to an old-school Italian friend and afterwards he said (in an Italian accent) " I'm sorry, I don't drink these kind of wines. Too big." I gave a huge, thick Barbera to another friend thinking I was doing him a favor. He said, "After the second glass the room was spinning." Parker really has had a disproportionate influence on wine. If he really loves wines he should hang it up or stop giving numerical ratings. Then he would find out who his real friends are, wouldn't he....
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:32 am

Thought I might move this up as Wine Focus is studying Piemonte this month.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:07 am

Bob
A good move, as I missed this 1st time round.

Agostino
Wonderfully written and very interesting. We're intending one day to head up to the wine-making region around Novara, so this sounds like a winery to remember.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:29 pm

Wonderful piece of writing eh. Up here in Alberta, I suddenly feel a long way from the action there in Italy (sob).
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:15 pm

Agostino,

I too missed this the first time round. It makes me want to leap into my car to do a round of the Piemontese small vineyards.
Tim York