The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Why 750ml vs 1L as standard btl size?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Why 750ml vs 1L as standard btl size?

by OW Holmes » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:01 am

I have no historical information as to WHY it became the size it did, but an interesting (at least to me) bit of hearsay on the effect of bottle size. As Robin notes in his wine advisor, both liquor and wine eventually assumed the same general size. And whether that had to do with easy carrying size, or lung capacity of glass blowers, it did have an impact on the game of golf. It is widely reported, and believed by many, that the modern game of golf is 18 holes, rather than 7, or 11, or 25, because that is (or at least was) the number of shots in a bottle of scotch, and when early scottish players of the game consumed a shot a hole, they were done (both with the bottle and probably their ability to navigate home) after 18 holes.
-OW
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:26 am

I would prefer the 500 ml size, except that if things were reduced to that size we would still be paying the same prices. Think of the slogan: "New, more convenient packaging!" There would be no mention that it was smaller, and the price would not change.

By the way, I've had two wines from the early '70s that were 700 ml.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:18 am

As to the perfect bottle size for dinner, let me quote Anthony Barton:

"A magnum is the ideal bottle if you are having dinner alone — provided there's a bottle of Champagne for apéritif and Sauternes for dessert."
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
Previous