The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wine Again Thank You

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Wine Again Thank You

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:52 am

After recovering from an early June cold and hay fever bout, it was nice to have some wine again.

2005 Huet Clos du Bourg Demi Sec
I was excited to taste this but it started very diffuse and quite shy aromatically, as detailed by SFJoe in his review of the 05s from Angers. Over time (especially 24 hours) it picks up shining deep minerals, which is nice. It also gets a bit more expressive on the palate, spicy, juicy and all, but it seems like it still needs to sort itself out. Good juicy lusty mineral prospects however.

2003 Rustenberg John X Merriman
South African Bordeaux blend for those who don't know (which was me before purchase), and to my tastes it is certainly acceptable, decently firm red fruits buttressed by ample tannins. But a bit too much oak and not distinct enough to warrant re-purchasing. Oh well. I bought it as Jay Miller seemed so keen on it and then it caught my eye in the shop, but, different mileage for different folks alas..
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Wine Again Thank You

by James Roscoe » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:06 pm

How much did you pay for the South African? Did it have any QPR?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Wine Again Thank You

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:08 pm

How much did you pay for the South African? Did it have any QPR?

I paid 15pounds (i.e. about 30USD), and it didn't have very much qpr for me, even at 10USD. But that's because I didn't like it and can find more interesting wines to drink, even at 10USD. However, it was "well made" and if you look at Jay's recent note from a Rustenberg tasting, he thought it was good QPR.