WTN: 50

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 50

Postby Florida Jim » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:35 am

Mark turns 50 . . .

Hello:
N/V Krug, Champagne:
Nice but not up to the hype/price.

With paella:

1991 Jayer-Gilles, Echézeaux (magnum):
Outstanding nose with sauvage character and mushroom, red fruit scents; a little thin on the palate but pure and clean, well balanced and distinctive; medium finish.

1999 Chevillon, Nuits-Saint-Georges Chaignots:
Showing at full song with wonderful fruit and truffle aromas; deep, rich, clean fruit and earth flavors and remarkable length. I did not expect this to be so open and generous but it was everything one could ask of the terroir.

2004 Matinsancho, Rueda:
The best match with the dish and surely the best verdejo I have ever tasted. Exceptional.

2004 Dom. Saint Luc, Coteaux du Tricastin:
Light and easy to drink with good southern Rhone character and a clean delivery.

Chartreux:
I had never tasted this before but I will again; one of the most extraordinary gustatory experiences of my life. But at 54% alcohol, a little goes a long way. Unforgettable.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
Florida Jim
Wine guru

Re: WTN: 50

Postby David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:17 pm

Indeed that the Chevillon was open surprises me as well. Perhaps I will check in on one of mine.

Nice notes as usual.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Return to The Wine Forum