The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Roederer, L'Arrossee, Yarra Yering, The Mentor, Cambrai

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Roederer, L'Arrossee, Yarra Yering, The Mentor, Cambrai

by David Lole » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:23 pm

The remnants of my original tasting group assembled Saturday and sampled the following wines over a long lunch. The Champagne, in particular, and all the reds looked very good indeed, the two whites a bit ho hum. Everything served double blind.

Louis Roederer Vintage Brut 1996 - glorious wine - incredibly fine streams of slow rising, smallest of beading glisten in a sea of light burnished gold. An extraordinary bouquet and palate displaying such a complexity of nuance, depth of flavour, unforgettable structure and awesome length. Traces of honeyed citrus and glazed white peaches support the most congruous assembly of yeast autolysis characters one seeks in a top Champagne - brioche, fresh crusty bread and nutty digestive biscuits. Magnificently rounded and polished in the mouth with a wealth of swirling mousse, creamy texture although still lively enough with perfectly meshed, but softening, acidty supporting the rich and poised yeasty flavours. Slips down the throat with consummate ease. My gut tells me this wine is close to as great as it will get. Drink now - 2011. 95 points.

Tyrrell's Stevens Semillon 2003 - tight but a little dilute and somewhat non-descript - no obvious faults except for being a little bland - 84 points - good

O'Leary Walker Watervale Riesling 2006 - some reduction on the nose, that gradually dissipated, quite a powerful wine with plenty of acid although a little phenolic and some bitterness in the finish - didn't improve with air - 85(-) points - good/very good.

Ch. L'Arrossee 1982 - This St. Emillon really kicked some butt on the day - fully mature with a lovely cedary/sweet earthy bouquet with supporting leather/dried herbs and blackcurrant fruit. Palate equally engaging with a near perfect equilibrium and decnt length. Top class right-banker. Drink now - 2012+ 92 points

Yarra Yering Pinot Noir 1995 - a bit exciting for me to see an Australian Pinot hold on for so long with no sign of senility. Bucket loads of sweet plum and cherry fruit with some sappy/gamey notes in the nose, just lacks a touch of complexity on the palate. Otherwise, excellent! 90 points Drink now - 2010

Peter Lehmann The Mentor 1992 - an unusual blend of Cabernet, Merlot, Shiraz and Malbec. This wine had me stumped for vintage and maker. Very youthful for age. A powerfully built, classy number with an incredibly good bouquet (cedary, herbs and bucketloads of briary sweet blackcurrants fruit) followed by an equally impressive tight but fleshy palate with surprisingly good structure, plenty of petrol in the tank and a whopping but controlled and well-balanced finish. Top marks from me for what it is! 93 points Drink now - 2017+

Cambrai Vintage Port 1985 - This small idiosyncratic McLaren Vale winery pulled off a great result with this vintage of 100% fortified Shiraz. At least one Championship, several trophies and gold medals on the Australian Wineshow circuit right through to the early 1990's. Outstanding effort with one of my experienced wine buddies firmly convinced this was Portuguese. Still holds very good depth of colur for its age, an impressively ripe but not overly sweet and spiritous nose. Unlike so many other Aussie vintage ports does not display their often overextracted/worked pruney characters. This wine's fruit spectrum firmly in the cherry/blackberry spectrum with a nice touch of couterbalancing spiri. Still carries some firmish astringency through the long finish and will go another 10-15 years if well kept. 92 points
Last edited by David Lole on Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Weekend Drinking Reports 26 - 27th April, 2008

by Saina » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:25 pm

That Roederer is really something special - though it is quite a while since I have last had it. I hate to say it of a Champagne that has such a "bling-bling" image, but I also like their Cristal (but can't afford it).
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Mark Noah

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Baltimore

Re: WTN: Roederer, L'Arrossee, Yarra Yering, The Mentor, Cambrai

by Mark Noah » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:16 am

"Yarra Yering Pinot Noir 1995 - a bit exciting for me to see an Australian Pinot hold on for so long with no sign of senility. Bucket loads of sweet plum and cherry fruit with some sappy/gamey notes in the nose, just lacks a touch of complexity on the palate. Otherwise, excellent! 90 points Drink now - 2010"

No mention of pepper, specifically cracked black pepper? This wine is a picture of complexity...... The rest of your note is spot on. It's just...... the pepper was very dominate or obvious. Anyway, it's nice to see someone else enjoying this PN out of a bordeaux bottle.......

mark
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:58 am

Mark Noah wrote:"Yarra Yering Pinot Noir 1995 - a bit exciting for me to see an Australian Pinot hold on for so long with no sign of senility. Bucket loads of sweet plum and cherry fruit with some sappy/gamey notes in the nose, just lacks a touch of complexity on the palate. Otherwise, excellent! 90 points Drink now - 2010"

No mention of pepper, specifically cracked black pepper? This wine is a picture of complexity...... The rest of your note is spot on. It's just...... the pepper was very dominate or obvious. Anyway, it's nice to see someone else enjoying this PN out of a bordeaux bottle.......

mark

Mark,

Really appreciate your input here. Did not get an inkling of cracked black pepper on nose or palate. When was the last time you tried it?
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Mark Noah

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Baltimore

by Mark Noah » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:05 pm

About three weeks ago. Had a friend over here to taste some wines. Nothing was really exciting. So I went into the cellar and pulled the '97 YY PN. I told him this would be the wine of the night. My buddy just laughed at me for 1: breaking out a PN from Aus. And 2: because the bottle looks "generic" and is in a bordeaux bottle.

He loved it.

So I pulled out a '95, '01, and an '05 to compare. I didn't take any notes so everything is off of memory. But there were several common denominators. Red cherry Fruit and cracked black pepper were the flavors; whereas great complexity and extremely full-bodied were the other common characteristics. Something else you didn't mention but probably is understood: The '95 had less than What I would think as typical oxidation for a PN at this age. The '97 had roughly the same oxidation whereas the '01 showed extremely little and none in the '05. Also, the '05 gave the most fruit and the '97 the most complexity.

A fun night that blurred somewhat at the end. Another convert to Yarra Yering.

mark
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:24 pm

Mark Noah wrote:About three weeks ago. Had a friend over here to taste some wines. Nothing was really exciting. So I went into the cellar and pulled the '97 YY PN. I told him this would be the wine of the night. My buddy just laughed at me for 1: breaking out a PN from Aus. And 2: because the bottle looks "generic" and is in a bordeaux bottle.

He loved it.

So I pulled out a '95, '01, and an '05 to compare. I didn't take any notes so everything is off of memory. But there were several common denominators. Red cherry Fruit and cracked black pepper were the flavors; whereas great complexity and extremely full-bodied were the other common characteristics. Something else you didn't mention but probably is understood: The '95 had less than What I would think as typical oxidation for a PN at this age. The '97 had roughly the same oxidation whereas the '01 showed extremely little and none in the '05. Also, the '05 gave the most fruit and the '97 the most complexity.

A fun night that blurred somewhat at the end. Another convert to Yarra Yering.

mark

Thanks for that, Mark. My friend who has a vast collection of YY and brought this wine, did mention he had tried a '97 YY PN recently and it was, IHHO, a little passed it, mentioning oxidation .... I'll have to have a chat to him and ascertain his thoughts about this common trait of black cracked pepper you've noted through Bailey's Pinot's.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:34 pm

Mark Noah wrote:No mention of pepper, specifically cracked black pepper? This wine is a picture of complexity...... The rest of your note is spot on. It's just...... the pepper was very dominate or obvious. Anyway, it's nice to see someone else enjoying this PN out of a bordeaux bottle.......

mark

The pepper and spice plus the big body and that bordeaux bottle shape once encouraged me to throw some vintage of this into a zin tasting as a ringer. Though it was clearly one of the more distinctive wines on the table, it had great quality and no one suspected that it wasn't the topic grape.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:51 am

Lucky enough to taste the `02 Mentor tonite at the Grill. Infanticide!
Very big wine and a few thought some heat on the finish. I thought another 5/6 yrs in the cellar should fix it! Unusual blend is spot on.