The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Drinking in Austria

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MichaelJ

Rank

Wine geek

Fri May 05, 2006 3:54 pm

Minneapolis, MN

WTN: Drinking in Austria

by MichaelJ » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:37 am

And the Austrian idyll continues. Now we are ensconced in an alpine Hütte just north of Villach. An incredible place, a hotel which consists of a small collection of these Hütten, wood-fired hot tubs and sauna, a good restaurant, and a wine cellar consisting of some of Austria's best young producers. So as we are here drinking our way through the cellar for a few more days, I thought I'd post a note on a couple of the highlights.

Weingut TOMS Hochkittenberg, Gelber Muskateller, 2004
Flinty, granite nose. Juicy grapefruit at first in the mouth, with a drying, mineral finish. We paired this with both a salmon carpaccio and a paprika cream soup, both with success.

Weingut Preisinger, Pinot Noir, 2003
Stinky (really!) nose which quickly blows off. At first taste, reticent; very tightly wound tannins. All flavors to your respective corners! After being open about 90 minutes, it is fully integrated. A really nice wine -- black cherry, chocolate, sweet pipe tobacco. Smooth tannins, velvety finish. Yummy. Paired with: Roasted chicken.

Weingut Heinrich, Gabarinza, 2003
Wow. Immediately this wine hits you with its power. Immense. Deep and rich in the mouth--smoke, bacon, dark chocolate, and coffee. Lingering, lingering finish. I could drink this all night. Amazing juice. A blend of Zweigelt, Blaufränkish, and Merlot.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Drinking in Austria

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:00 am

A blend of Zweigelt, Blaufränkish, and Merlot.

Traditional proportions I assume? :D

So how much Merlot is planted in Austria? Similar trend as the rest of the world?