The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pigs in space

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Pigs in space

by Florida Jim » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:24 am

2003 Calamity, Cabernet Sauvignon:
13.8% alcohol from Napa Valley; I enjoyed the “Red Wine” from this producer (see recent note below *) but this is off the charts; very expansive and complex aromatics with cassis, blackberry, mineral, and fresh herbs (no oak odors at all); very pure and clean across the palate with flavors that follow the nose, excellent complexity, a sense of restraint but also of depth and integration, perfect balance, satin textures, bright acidity that never sticks out and again, no overt oak flavors; excellent length with immaculate flavors. Not even a hint of over-extraction or manipulation, no noticeable oak, no milk-shake like textures – just pure, clean, delineated, fresh fruit with mineral and herb hints.
The best domestic cabernet sauvignon in recent memory and all the better for its $25 price tag. Available only in FL at Wine Warehouses throughout the state.
To think that cabernet can be this natural and distinctive; I had all but given up hope.

Best, Jim

* 2003 Calamity, Napa Valley Red Wine:
Mostly cabernet sauvignon (I’m told – please, correct me if I’m wrong) and 14.1% alcohol; laser pure cassis and blackberries on the nose, crisp, clean with very light oak and some minerality; bright flavors follow the nose with clarity and depth, excellent acidity, no signs of over-extraction and just a hint of oak sweetness, nice complexity and good balance; a bright, flavorful (with a little bitter black raspberry), mouth-watering finish without any hint of heat. Gives the impression of having some cabernet franc in the mix. (I’m told Cathy Corison has a hand in this; that would not surprise me in the least – she is talented.)
This is neither a pretender to Bordeaux nor to most of the left-coast cabs. I’ve tasted; rather, it is its own animal, although faintly reminiscent of the Loire. Certainly, it has a shelf life but it’s delicious now. About $20.
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars