The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Montoya Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 (Napa Valley)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

WTN: Montoya Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 (Napa Valley)

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue May 30, 2006 11:06 am

My local warehouse-style retailer (part of the mid-Atlantic's Total Wine empire) has been featuring a number of inexpensive California Cabernets lately. Although Cal-Cab at any price point isn't a category I've devoted much attention to in the past, several of these have been darn tasty and offered good QPR to boot, this bottle included.

Medium to medium-dark, mostly clear ruby-purple. An initially heady nose of port and cedar settles down somewhat but never fully disappears behind sweet dark plum and currant. Medium- to full-bodied, with a sappy mouthfeel and black fruit flavors accented with black pepper. A strong black licorise note emerges on the long finish. Slightly hot, and better on its own than with grilled lamb. I would have guessed it higher than the stated 13.5% alcohol. With all the requisite caveats for those not fond of the style, I'd have to call this a good example of the genre, even better given the $13 price tag.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Montoya Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 (Napa Valley)

by James Roscoe » Wed May 31, 2006 6:00 pm

Clinton,
You bought this at Beltway? It sounds like a great value. I will check it out at Corridor. Thanks for the note.
Cheers!
James