The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike: Cabernet Franc.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

Re: Open Mike: Cabernet Franc.

by Joe Moryl » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:06 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:
2001 Cabernet Franc, Hazlett Vineyards, Finger Lakes: If you wanted to show that the Finger Lakes can produce a good red wine, this would be a nice example. Still very dark and youthful with a purple tinge. Some currant and herbs on the nose with maybe a touch of funk. More dark fruits (current/blueberry), no rough edges or green notes, nice dusty ripe tannins. Some cocoa emerges with time. Would be interesting to taste in another 5 years. Two odd things: no signature CF notes (e.g. bell pepper) and not a producer that I expect to produce a wine like this. Hazlett seems to do most of their business selling sweet red 'hot tub' wines to drunken crowds emerging from white stretch limos. They have some good vineyards and I wish more of their wines could be like this one.

Holy Cow Batman. This may be the first postitive TN I have ever seen for a Hazlett wine.

Besides their CF, sometimes they make a good riesling. But their most well known product is "Red Cat" which is a sub $10 bottle of sweet red made with Catabwa, IIRC. Too bad, because some of their vineyards are in a east shore of Seneca prime location (aka The Bannana Belt).
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:56 pm

Some of you might be interested in this purchase.
I was lucky (I hope) to find a `96 Bourgueil Domaine des Chesnaies from Lame-Delisle-Boucard. Any hope here of something decent?! $26 Cdn after discount.

edit..found this on Jamie Goode`s website.

Domaine des Chesnaies is a mid-sized producer in Bourgeuil, with some 35 ha of vines. The wines are aged in large wooden foudres (barrels), and the best cuvées have extended barrel ageing. The older wines tasted here were until very recently stored in the Domaine's own cellars, carved into the tufa limestone that is typical of the region. I suspect it's partly because of the cool conditions of these cellars (a constant 6-8 °C) that the older wines here were showing so well. In particular, the 1976 is a real stunner. It may yet improve more. If the more recent vintages of the same cuvée are made in the same style, then it may well be worth investing in. After all, because of the Loire's semi-unfashionable status, the prices for these wines are remarkably fair.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:10 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Some of you might be interested in this purchase.
I was lucky (I hope) to find a `96 Bourgueil Domaine des Chesnaies from Lame-Delisle-Boucard. Any hope here of something decent?! $26 Cdn after discount.

Yes, Bob. I have two bottles left of 1989 Cuvée Prestige from this estate. I could have sworn that I had some 1971 left as well but cannot find it. Three or four years ago the 1971 was like some elderly classy ladies one used to meet; somewhat emaciated but still elegant and gracious; Jamie's 76 sounds much more robust. A year or so ago the 1989 was, by contrast, very vigorous and youthful and a few more years ageing would do no harm at all. My guess is that your 1996 could be well short of its peak; it is a fine but rather austere year and, given the estate's methods, could have a long life ahead of it. Decanting would probably be beneficial.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rob Roy

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 pm

ITIL Service Manager

by Rob Roy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:28 am

Let us not forget Virginia. Cabernet Franc just does well in the Old Dominion.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:40 pm

Tim talks about my Bourgueil........My guess is that your 1996 could be well short of its peak; it is a fine but rather austere year and, given the estate's methods, could have a long life ahead of it.

In that case, maybe I should cellar this one away Tim? Jamie`s notes on other early vintages(I did not post these) from his TNs on other wines, taken in `01 seem to say...hold on!

Rob, welcome to the forum. Great folks here from everywhere. Do you have any TNs?
no avatar
User

Rob Roy

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 pm

ITIL Service Manager

by Rob Roy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:09 pm

Actually I'm returning after a long absence. Will post a tasting note occasionally.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:14 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Tim talks about my Bourgueil........My guess is that your 1996 could be well short of its peak; it is a fine but rather austere year and, given the estate's methods, could have a long life ahead of it.

In that case, maybe I should cellar this one away Tim? Jamie`s notes on other early vintages(I did not post these) from his TNs on other wines, taken in `01 seem to say...hold on!

Bob, why not open it, tell us about it and, if you like it and its development potential, buy more for cellaring at that discounted price?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:17 am

Yeah, the problem is that there is only one bottle left in the store!! Wine was brought in for a special event years ago and seems I am the only one to recognize the potential. Off I go, hoop-la.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:25 pm

I have revived the notes below because they record the heights which Loire Cabernet franc can reach.

Topic: TN: An impressive vertical of Chinon from Charles Joguet
Author: Tim York
Date: 20050427114656

This tasting was a revelation. Having bought a number of Joguet’s wines of the 1995 and 1996 vintages directly from the estate (the best of which are probably not yet at their peak) as well as Chinon of other producers such as Alliet, Couly-Dutheil and Baudry, I have rated Chinon as usually very satisfying but did not realise that it was capable of reaching the heights of, say, a really good Margaux or St. Julien. The form shown last night by the wines from the good vintages of the 80s demonstrates that they can indeed be well up to this level when mature. And the prices are sensible; EUR 18,60 for Chêne Vert 2002 and EUR 21,65 for Dioterie 2003 in Belgium which represents far better QPR than any Bordeaux and Burgundy in the same price range known to me.

Allowing for the usual vintage variation, the wines all showed great purity of fruit and aroma allied to good structure, great elegance and, in most vintages, length. This is undoubtedly helped by a sparing approach to wood ageing (no new oak only barrels of one wine up to five). The “brett” sensitive are, however, warned than there are sometimes leather and “animal” hints to which they may be allergic.

It is usually said that the Joguet estate went through a bad patch from the mid-90s to the end of the decade following the transfer of the business from Charles Joguet to the present triumvirate of Jacques Genet, Michel Pinard and Alain Delaunay. There was scant evidence of that from the 95 and 99 tasted last night and I still feel that my 96s could open up to rival or surpass, say, the 88.

Joguet makes separate cuvées from each significant vineyard parcel as well as basic cuvées of Chinon red and rosé. The estate also makes a white from Chenin grown just outside the limits of the Chinon Appellation. Full details of the wines and production methods can be found on http://www.charlesjoguet.com .

All the wines tasted were from the Chinon appellation and 100% derived from Cabernet Franc.

- Cuvée de la Cure 2004. (Vineyards situated on alluvial gravel planted in the 70s). A barrel sample as an appetiser to demonstrate the fine form of the 2004 vintage. C: Deep. N: Dark plum fruit. P: Similar aroma with plenty substance and tannic structure. Very good balance of acid, flesh and structure. 14/20 with more potential.

Then followed a vertical of Clos du Chêne Vert. This is a 2 hectare vineyard with a south-westerly exposure situated on calcareous clay; the vines were planted in the mid-70s.

- 1985. C: Brilliant red but quite light with little sign of browning at the rim.
Glories were revealed on the first inhalation. N: Complex deep dark fruit with
hints of pencil shavings, tobacco and aromas of strawberry and raspberry.
P: Medium weight but elegant and very long with the same delicately flavoured aromas as on N. Fully resolved tannic structure with leather hints on finish. Really lovely. 18.5/20.

- 1988. C: More amber hints. N: Delicately floral with hints of fine Darjeeling
tea. P: Lighter and less perfectly balanced than 1985 with more prominent acidity. Lovely delicate aromatics. Hints of dryness on finish. Long. 17/20.

- 1990. C: Much deeper and younger. N: Fleshier and sweeter than the two
previous. P: Much rounder and fuller with dark fruit aromatics but less
elegant than the two previous with hints of coarseness on the finish and
perhaps a little shorter. 17/20.

- 1989. C: Perhaps even deeper than 90. N: A different dimension of
complexity from 1990. Similar aromas to 1985 but more power and flesh with pencil shavings less marked. P: Deep, finely bodied, complex, elegant and very long; but still perhaps a touch a green on the finish. 18.5/20 with perhaps still potential for more.

- 1995. N: A step down. Rich dark fruit but less complexity of aroma and green
hints. P: Good flesh and substance with nice dark fruit aromas and hints of leather. Marked structure of dry tannins. Quite long but (in common with many reds in France in 1995) a drying finish. Will this dry out or will the tannic structure resolve into harmony somewhat like, say, the 1988? Meanwhile 16/20.

- 1999. N: Quite simple but attractive fruit but with poultry yard hints. P: Softly
fruity and less complex and structured than the previous vintages but very pleasant. A good effort for a modest vintage. 15/20.

- 2002 (first bottle). N: More complex and finer than previous but a sour hint and faint stink (not TCA). N: Aromas showing some finesse and class but angular and lean fruit and structure with slightly sour and dry finish. Immediately there was an outcry that we had an off bottle. I wasn’t so sure because I have met other 2002s with angular and slightly dry tannins.

- 2002 (second bottle). N: Smoother and more suave without the sour hint and faint stink of the previous. P: More flesh, more fruit, rounder tannins and altogether silkier. In fact potentially very fine. 16/20 now; potentially 18+/20?

For comparison we now looked at three vintages of Clos de la Dioterie. This vineyard is also planted on calcareous clay but is North facing; its vines are mainly more than 80 years old.

- 1986. N: Fine delicate aromas of raspberry and strawberry with pencil
notes. P: Same lovely fragrances with, to me, an attractive mineral acid freshness (others incriminated VA). Lighter and shorter than some of the other and adequate structure. A good result for a cold vintage. 16/20.

- 2003. C: Almost black like Languedoc or even Australia. N: Deep, dark
aromas but some Cabernet Franc coming through on aeration. P: Likewise deep, dark and full with dark brooding but ripe tannins and some alcoholic warmth showing on finish. Yet there was also freshness and adequate acidity for balance coming through. None of the crowd pleasing candied sweetness of a lot of 97s. This could turn into a sumptuous if atypical wine. 15.5/20 now with ++ potential.

- 2004 (barrel sample). C: Deep but more luminous than 2003. N: Rich dark
yeasty stink. P: Enormously impressive. Big but more harmonious, more typical and less muscle bound than 2003. Great potential.

It looks as if 2002, 2003 and 2004 are going to prove an impressive trilogy for Loire reds. Sadly only 2002 is likely to prove great for the Chenin based whites; the 2003 heat turned out mostly flabby wines in dry and demi-sec ranges and 2004 has suffered from widespread rot.

Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:45 pm

Tim, I was interested in your notes on the `95.

- 1995. N: A step down. Rich dark fruit but less complexity of aroma and green
hints. P: Good flesh and substance with nice dark fruit aromas and hints of leather. Marked structure of dry tannins. Quite long but (in common with many reds in France in 1995) a drying finish. Will this dry out or will the tannic structure resolve into harmony somewhat like, say, the 1988?

I am about to finish off the rest of an `96 Bourgueil and trying to find a comparision?!! I know your note is a Chinon but cannot be that far apart? This what Jamie Goode noted on the Bourgueil from Domaine des Chesnaies.

1995 Bourgueil Cuvée Lucien-Lamé
A cherry colour with a mature brick-red rim. The subtle, expressive nose shows leafy, spicy and leathery notes, leading to a balanced palate with drying tannins and leafy, plummy fruit. Dry finish and good acidity. Very good+

1995 Bourgueil Cuvée Prestige
This cuvée has a touch of Cabernet Sauvignon added, and is made in a longer-lasting style. A pale cherry red colour with a bricking rim. The subtle nose is slightly leafy and leathery. Nice balanced palate shows cedary fruit with a herbaceous edge, firm tannins, good acid and a dry, spicy finish. Savoury and lean. Very good (£7.95)

Guess it`s time to get the TN written up on my little effort!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:46 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Yeah, the problem is that there is only one bottle left in the store!! Wine was brought in for a special event years ago and seems I am the only one to recognize the potential. Off I go, hoop-la.

WTN: `96 Domaine des Chesnaies Bourgueil Cuvee Prestige-Lame, Delisle, Boucard, Loire Fr.

Good natural cork, opened one hour but not decanted. 12.5% alc, $26 Cdn after discount.
Bought in by local winestore for private function few years ago, so well stored by this well-run outfit!

Color. Very dull garnet, fair amount of bricking. Looks really developed I`d say, like an aged Rioja?

Nose. No sign of oxidization, shows a leafy character and brief hints of cherry. Took some time to open, was I supposed to look for dill?

Palate. I have to say I do not have a lot of expertise with aged Cab Francs but here goes! Initial entry is tannic, not much fruit but after 2 hrs found some big changes. Less puckery, cherry, good balance, dusty, dried herbs. Pretty good showing next day with some developed tertiary aromas of earth and dried grasses.
I do not think decanting would have helped here, but would think more recent vintages might need some sloshing around!
I quite enjoyed this, especially on this second day. Bit of a shaky start though eh.
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:49 pm

Bob,

I've tried a few BC Cab Francs recently and have walked away reasonably impressed. They are Golden Mile Cabernet Franc and Blackwood lane winery. Both are small boutique wineries with limited distribution even within BC but are worth searching out to see the progress of this varietal in the Okanagan area. The former is a good deal around $25 and the later is a bit more at about $50? Can't remember but worth the looksee.

Mike
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:55 pm

Thanks Michael, I tried to find the Sandhill but o/s. Burrowing Owl might do one, not sure? Mike B might have some ideas if he is around later this evening. Have not seen the two you mention!!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:12 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
WTN: `96 Domaine des Chesnaies Bourgueil Cuvee Prestige-Lame, Delisle, Boucard, Loire Fr.

Good natural cork, opened one hour but not decanted. 12.5% alc, $26 Cdn after discount.
Bought in by local winestore for private function few years ago, so well stored by this well-run outfit!

Color. Very dull garnet, fair amount of bricking. Looks really developed I`d say, like an aged Rioja?

Nose. No sign of oxidization, shows a leafy character and brief hints of cherry. Took some time to open, was I supposed to look for dill?

Palate. I have to say I do not have a lot of expertise with aged Cab Francs but here goes! Initial entry is tannic, not much fruit but after 2 hrs found some big changes. Less puckery, cherry, good balance, dusty, dried herbs. Pretty good showing next day with some developed tertiary aromas of earth and dried grasses.
I do not think decanting would have helped here, but would think more recent vintages might need some sloshing around!
I quite enjoyed this, especially on this second day. Bit of a shaky start though eh.

It sounds more like 86 than 96! This reminds me that I should check out the progress of 89 from the same source as this and of either Dioterie or Chêne Vert 96 from Joguet.

By the way, you are right in surmising that Chinon and Bourgueil are very close (18 km centre to centre passing a nuclear power station which I try not to see and then crossing the Loire). I doubt strongly whether I could distinguish their wines blindfold.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:38 am

Just finished this last night.

Clos Roche Blanche 2005 Touraine Cabernet, $14
Richer, fruitier and bigger-bodied than many Loire CFs, this has nice cherry fruit accented by some herbs, minerals and earth. Tannins and acidity both provide structure. It’s balanced, a bit fruit forward but not jammy, and makes an excellent match with chicken schawarma. I think this has the potential to age some, but the plastic cork makes me wary and, regardless, it's plenty good now. Importer: Louis/Dressner.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:21 pm

Bruce K wrote:Just finished this last night.

Clos Roche Blanche 2005 Touraine Cabernet, $14
Richer, fruitier and bigger-bodied than many Loire CFs, this has nice cherry fruit accented by some herbs, minerals and earth. Tannins and acidity both provide structure. It’s balanced, a bit fruit forward but not jammy, and makes an excellent match with chicken schawarma. I think this has the potential to age some, but the plastic cork makes me wary and, regardless, it's plenty good now. Importer: Louis/Dressner.

Bruce, nice wine and good QPR, I think, at $14. The size of this one may have something to do with the fact that it contains some Cabernet Sauvignon, see link http://www.wineterroirs.com/2005/01/clo ... _blan.html . The estate also produces the Côt, on which Robin wrote a report, and, as it has an extensive export network, there may be just a faint chance that you can pick one up (and perhaps Bob also in Canada) for Wine Focus.

Incidentally the estate is near Saint-Aignan, where I nearly bought a French version of a Victorian villa a few years ago. It's a very interesting area.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:28 pm

it contains some Cabernet Sauvignon

Thanks, Tim, I did not know that. I attributed the weight to the vintage but I'm sure that has something to do with it.

the estate is near Saint-Aignan, where I nearly bought a French version of a Victorian villa a few years ago. It's a very interesting area.

My family did a house exchange with a family living in a village not far from Gien several years ago. I absolutely love the region and would go back in a heartbeat. We didn't spend a lot of time visiting wineries (our daughters were rather young then) and what we did was focused on Sancerre and Menetou-Salon. We did go to Chambord and Blois in Touraine, but that was about as far west as we got. Ou est Saint-Aignan?
Last edited by Bruce K on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:31 pm

The estate also produces the Côt, on which Robin wrote a report, and, as it has an extensive export network, there may be just a faint chance that you can pick one up

Sorry to double-post, I had spaced out about this. Fortunately, lots of CRBs cross the Atlantic, many of them winding up at Chambers Street in New York. I do have some bottles of the 2001 and 2002 Côt, though I was planning on giving them another four or five years. But if the mood strikes...
no avatar
User

Brian Barry

Rank

Just got here

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Three Recent CFs - Beauties

by Brian Barry » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:36 pm

Hi Everybody -

I've posted before, years ago, but I'd still consider myself a "long-time lurker." The discussion of Cabernet Franc came just as I discovered these wonderful wines myself, so that's my impetus to register and post. Hope I can contribute more in the future. Here are my notes from three beauties:

Baudry Chinon “Les Grezeaux” 2003
Baudry Chinon “Les Granges” 2005
Breton Bourgeuil 2005 “Franc de Pied” 2005

Three Cabernet Francs, all quite good, but the Les Grezeaux was the best of the bunch. This bottle had herbs and bell-pepper tastes, which I normally avoid, but here it created complexity and certainly did not overpower the ripe berry fruit hovering over it. Light frame (12.5%), elegant, a little clean dirt in there, all very nicely balanced. Excellent.

The “Les Granges” was also good, but everything a little bit less. Not quite the purity or concentration of fruit, not as complex or herbal underneath, a little heavier and less elegant on the tongue (13% alcohol). Still nice.

The Breton is Cab Franc on ungrafted, pre-phyloxerra vines and it came in at 12% alcohol, thin and light on the palate, but plenty of pure ripe fruit and a touch, just a touch, of something green and herbal. Very easy to like and easy to drink.

These three were a revelation to me -- all three go great with food. How could I not have any experience with Loire Cabernet Franc before this?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:46 pm

Terrific Brian.
Who would have thought CF could create so much interest here?!! I really anticipated just a few notes, if at all (grin).
Tim might be familiar with these wines as he lives on the doorstep so to speak. Suspect Otto and Dale know these.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:31 am

Joe in NY posted this.....2001 Cabernet Franc, Lailey Vineyards, NIagara Peninsula VQA: Fairly dark, light bricking. Mid-weight with some plummy/pruney fruit, tobacco leaf and only a touch of bell pepper. Holding together pretty well, still shows some Bretty/poop notes that were also present on release. A decent effort.

I was looking at the Sandhill today (BC) until I was directed to an `04 Angels Gate, Niagara VQA. Will be keen to try later this week!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:21 pm

Baudry Chinon “Les Grezeaux” 2003
Baudry Chinon “Les Granges” 2005
Breton Bourgeuil 2005 “Franc de Pied” 2005

Baudry sure seems to have some good representation in the States. I really feel we, in Alberta, are missing out.

Still, I managed to find a Cab Franc from Ontario, an area many think is a good spot for trying this grape variety.

WTN: `04 Cabernet Franc Angels Gate--VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario.

Decanted for an hour, no sediment noted. Natural cork, 12.8% alc,cost was $22 Cdn.

The color was deceptive, very pale red/strawberry with just a hint of orange on the rim. No depth of color at all.
I had to try 3 different glasses to get any kind of nose at all, the port glass being the best with funky tones, red fruits, some green pepper. Blagh! Complete opposite on the palate however! The initial entry displayed soft tannins, ripe fresh red fruits and spice. Took 3 hrs to open up, good zip on the finish, raspberry and spice. Squirts of acidity made me think of ripe grapefruit. It really did all come together quite nicely.
"Cherries and redcurrant" thoughts came from across the table and the wine nicely matched a smoothered steak w. mushrooms, onion and swiss. We were very pleasantly surprised as we had dumped the Sandhill (BC) for this one!

***** the nose was vastly improved on the second day. More fruit, no vegie tones at all. Took what was left to DeVines where I purchased..no-one thought Canadian!! More cherry and raspberry and one thought "oak hints here". All loved the acidity expression here.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:37 am

Bob,

I'm fascinated by the amount of decent Cab franc which seems to be coming out of North America; Long Island, Finger Lakes, Ontario as well as the west coast. Of course it is suitable for cooler areas like Ontario because of relatively early ripening but I see that there is quite a bit in California as well. (I did not like the one I tried from there.) I'm waiting for the right dish my CF from Tuscany to see how it copes with that quite warm climate.
Tim York
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:14 am

I've not participated in these open mikes before, but your title caught my eye, as I just finished writing up a tasting note for a cab franc I had last night.
So, here goes.

1998 Barboursville Vineyards Cabernet Franc - Virginia

As luck would have it, I came into possession of some wines from the fine state of Virginia. I'd been holding them in the "other" section of my cellar, waiting for just the right time to start pulling corks. Last night was just such an occasion.

It was with some trepidation that I approached this wine; Cab Franc can be challenging in the best of circumstances; what would one from the east coast taste like? Would it be funky? Vegetal? Would it taste like soap? As they say, there's only one way to find out.

The cork was soft and spongy, and was stained almost all the way up. I poured some wine from the bottle to the glass, gave it a swirl, and lifted it to my nose.
Sniff. Sniff. Sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiifffffffff.

Bordeaux. Who put Bordeaux in my bottle of Virgina Cab Franc?

Dinner was still half an hour away, and I let the bottle sit, opened, while I contemplated this unexpected development.

With dinner, I filled our glasses and again gave the wine a go.
Okay, I'm going to do my best Gary Vaynerchuck impression here.
Imagine you are eating a bowl of crushed blackberries, in a library filled with very old books. That's what I'm getting from the nose on this wine. But wait. I swear I'm getting a whiff of tobacco from somewhere, too. Is my mind playing tricks with me? Have I made some sort of subconscious connection between Virginia and tobacco? No. It's in there.
On the palate, the wine again evokes Bordeaux - there's that interesting, Cab Franc herbaciousness, with the black fruit profile and a peppery finish. I detected just a touch of heat on the finish, and I'm wondering if the 13% alc on the label is accurate. Whatever tannin might have been present has completely resolved and the wine is drinking beautifully.

This was a tremendous drinking experience for me, made all the better because the surprise was all to the upside.

The more I drink Cabernet Franc, the more I love Cabernet Franc.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
PreviousNext