The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Real Dirt on Farmer John, and nice dirt in my Chambolle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Real Dirt on Farmer John, and nice dirt in my Chambolle

by Dale Williams » Thu May 25, 2006 4:03 pm

Wednesday I grilled rosemary-accented pork chops, Betsy made purple artichokes and multigrain pasta with pesto as sides (she's still on this diet, but I admit the Barilla Plus pasta is actually really good). I served a 375 of the 2001 Nicolas Potel Chambolle-Musigny. A little tight at first, but quickly opened into a pretty light to medium bodied Burgundy. Bright raspberry and cherry fruit, with hints of flowers on the nose. As we sat outside (absolutely gorgeous May day in the garden), some real Burgundian earth came out. Pretty and typical. As the wine warmed I found it a little soft on acidity (hadn't seemed so on opening, at cellar temps), but a really pleasant wine, especially at the $15/half price point. B+

In retrospect, I should have had a biodynamic wine. After dinner we went to Pleasantville to the Jacob Burns Film Center for the NY premiere of "The Real Dirt on Farmer John." Fun film detailing John Peterson's life- from a farm kid, to a 60s college student, to a commune host, through bankruptcy and then rediscovery as an organic farmer and advocate for the CSA movement. Some very funny and a few very sad moments. Afterwards Dan Barber (Blue Hill in NYC and Blue Hill at Stone Barns in Tarrytown) moderated a Q & A with Farmer John and the farmer who is charge of the Stone Barns farm). Great evening, and I recommend the film.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.