The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Recent dinners: Billecart-Salmon, Amarone, Volnay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTNs: Recent dinners: Billecart-Salmon, Amarone, Volnay

by Saina » Wed May 24, 2006 4:37 pm

My girlfriend and I went to visit a good friend + S.O. in their new home. We had a nice meal of asparagus, then reindeer, then some nice cheeses. Since we mostly spent the time chatting, no proper notes:

Billecart-Salmon Rosé NV

Nice, savoury stuff. I like it alot. I just hate the price of almost 50 euros! IIRC it was only 30 a few years back - importer or the producer the greedy one?

Masi Costasera Amarone Classico 2001

Sweet. Nice enough, but soooo sweet. I've never really gotten the hang of Veneto.

-------
With Boeuf Bourguignon:

Domaine Latour-Giraud Volnay Clos des Chênes 1er Cru 2000

Darkish for the grape. The nose is open and expressive with plentiful fruit, strawberry, a touch of oak and even alcohol showing through, but also some earthiness and savouriness and a hint of citrus. The palate is sweet, not very acidic on the mid-palate but the fruit is carried to good lengths by the acidity on the aftertaste. A very fine wine, though the slight whiff of alcohol on the nose distracts a little. As with many 2000s, this is drinking very well now.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

Re: WTNs: Recent dinners: Billecart-Salmon, Amarone, Volnay

by Paulo in Philly » Wed May 24, 2006 8:19 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Sweet. Nice enough, but soooo sweet. I've never really gotten the hang of Veneto.

I just posted something about this in reaction to one of Rasaahn's note on a Ripasso from the Veneto. I am right with you, Otto. The Faustini family is from the Veneto/Verona area, so I hope I don't offend any of my ancestors, but, I find the wines from the region not to be my favorite, unless it is a lean Valpolicella. I recently had something of Allegrini that was so jammy and fruit forward - I could not drink it at all. :cry:
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu May 25, 2006 10:32 am

Otto and Paulo--
I just had the 2001 Costasera two weeks ago, and I have to say I loved it. But I'm sure context had much to do with that--it was a glass after dinner, with some lovely Parmesan. I'd agree that it was perhaps too raisiny / port-y to thoroughly enjoy with the main part of a meal, which in my limited experience with Amarone seems often to be case.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu May 25, 2006 10:47 am

My biggest argument with Amarone is when to drink them. They seems too fruity, sweet and raisiny when young, something like over-the-top zins. I prefer to drink them with 10 years age when they settle down. Seem to find about 1/2 the people on each side of the Amarone aging debate.
Walt