The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Piedmont pink, Loire red, Rias Baixas white

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Piedmont pink, Loire red, Rias Baixas white

by Dale Williams » Wed May 24, 2006 3:52 pm

Saturday night I prepared some mint/cumin burger patties and a tomato/greenbean salad, then picked up Betsy at airport from a concert in NC. Grilled the burgers, and opened the 2004 Catherine & Pierre Breton "Les Galichets" Bourgueil . Sprightly wine with bright blackcurrant and black raspberry fruit, good acidity, and a clean finish. Some leafy/herby aromas add a little complexity.  We were out to dinner on Sunday, and were having white the following night, but I poured a glass after dinner Monday. Surprisingly, seemed more tannic than on Saturday, but maybe because I was having by itself. The herby notes had both increased and integrated, making for a nice midweight package. B+

The white with dinner (chicken and feta pizza) Monday was the 2004 Peitan Albariño (Rías Baixas). Not a maker I had tried before. Lighter-styled Albariño, grapefruit and tropical fruit in a clean but slightly dilute wine. Probably better as an apertif on a hot day than as a dinner wine. B-

Tuesday was the first rosé of the season, the 2005 Cantalupo "Il Mimo" (Colline Novaresi), still the only Nebbiolo rosé I've tried. A little bigger/juicier than '04 or '02. More like the 2003, but still has a rather vibrant acidity at the core. Ripe strawberry fruit with a dash of raspberry and watermelon, just a wisp of floral scents and a hint of tar. Very pleasant wine, I'll get more. B+ (A- for value)

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.