The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 St. Urbans-Hof Riesling QbA (Mosel-Saar-Ruwer)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2001 St. Urbans-Hof Riesling QbA (Mosel-Saar-Ruwer)

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 23, 2006 7:15 pm

Very refreshing after my highly mediocre round of golf. It still has some leesy/sulphury notes (surprising), but with air it gives a wonderful grapefruit peel and lime nose with more than a hint of smoke. Bracing and lively on the palate, with lots of stones (I wonder, does this come from the Schlangengraben?), a leafy note (hence the Saar reference) and lots of citrus peel. Excellent wine, and a fine value. Now if only it came in screwcap.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

Re: WTN: 2001 St. Urbans-Hof Riesling QbA (Mosel-Saar-Ruwer)

by Tom N. » Tue May 23, 2006 10:42 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Now if only it came in screwcap.

Hi David,

I just finished a Gunderloch 2004 riesling kabinett that had a screw cap. I actually detected a bit of metallic taste in my first sip, but after that it was good. I really like this riesling as it has a lucious tropical fruit nose (especially lemon), great tart and juicy fruit on the tongue and a nice medium long finish. Great match with a roasted pork loin we had the other night.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 24, 2006 7:00 am

Tom - you could not have picked up metallic taste from the cap. Gunderloch caps have no metal in contact with the wine. (In fact no wine closure caps have a direct wine-metal contact anymore.)

Now are some of hte 2004 Gunderlochs a bit austere - yes they are. (the trocken, Jean Baptiste and Auslese*** all have a stony, minerally focus)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 24, 2006 10:29 am

David,

I was invited to dinner with some totally nonwine people a few months back--that is, they drink wine, but they pay absolutely no attention to what they buy but for price (always under $10), and this was the apperitif wine they served. We were absolutely thrilled with it--delicious wine (and so much better than I had any right to expect).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 24, 2006 12:05 pm

Jenise,

I was actually thinking about you when I was drinking the wine. It seemed like it had low enough sugar/high enough minerality/acidity that you would like it.

If you liked it that much I would suggest at least trying the 2004. Don't go anywhere near the 2003.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 24, 2006 12:25 pm

Re the 03, understood. This couple actually served (unwittingly) a bottle of each vintage. The plodding, sweeter 03, which came second, was a shock after the 04. But, you were right, I quite liked the 04 for just the reasons you name.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Wed May 24, 2006 10:44 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Tom - you could not have picked up metallic taste from the cap. Gunderloch caps have no metal in contact with the wine. (In fact no wine closure caps have a direct wine-metal contact anymore.)

Now are some of hte 2004 Gunderlochs a bit austere - yes they are. (the trocken, Jean Baptiste and Auslese*** all have a stony, minerally focus)

Hi David,

I tasted something a bit harsh, perhaps just a bit of volatile acidity? Maybe a reaction with something already on my palate, like residual toothpaste (that always tastes metallic with wine)? Anyway, it was just on the first taste and then it was gone.

I love the minerally focus of Jean Baptiste, I actually have been building a vertical of it starting in 2000 on through 2003. I haven't seen the 2004 yet, but I always get at least 4 bottles, sometimes a whole case. It is my favorite house white. Although some years seem more fruity than others, especially the 99.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.