The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1996 Ravenswood Zinfandel Monte Rosso Vineyard (Sonoma)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 1996 Ravenswood Zinfandel Monte Rosso Vineyard (Sonoma)

by David M. Bueker » Sun May 21, 2006 7:31 pm

So I went off to cook dinner, but the wife said she was in the mood for pizza. Ok, I can do that!

Opened the Ravenswood and poured a few sips. Deep ruby color with pink edges. Brambly, dusty cherry fruit with a hint of glue-like volatility, but not so much as to be distracting. In any even the volatility blew off after 15 minutes, and left a palate of ripe cherry, raspberry and earthy strawberry. It is a touch hot, but food ameliorates that. The tannins are still there, but there is enough buffering fruit. Clean finish. Good but not great stuff. I have a couple more that will meet their maker with pizza or burgers over the summer.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Monte Rosso Zin...

by TomHill » Mon May 22, 2006 11:41 am

For some reason, the Zins from this vnyd seem to be real underachievers. Given the reputation and the age of the vnyd. They often seem good/tasty/pretty a good drink but I've never had one that knocked my sox off.
Had one of these a yr ago. Much the same reaction..."oh, this is nice".
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Monte Rosso Zin...

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 22, 2006 6:20 pm

TomHill wrote:For some reason, the Zins from this vnyd seem to be real underachievers. Given the reputation and the age of the vnyd. They often seem good/tasty/pretty a good drink but I've never had one that knocked my sox off.
Had one of these a yr ago. Much the same reaction..."oh, this is nice".
Tom

Interesting observations Tom. Monte Rosso used to be my favorite Ravenswood zin. Once I learned what I was doing I switched to Old (Tom) Hill, and that has been validated with the performance of the MR wines in middle age. The Old Hill bottles are holding up much better.

The one that has been really bad in age is the Teldeschi.
Decisions are made by those who show up