The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Joining a Wine Tasting Group

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Joining a Wine Tasting Group

by Bob Ross » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:15 pm

Tim, believe me, I was a real rookie when I posted my first notes here -- and people couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

Now, as you know, I can't be silenced!

You'll find a whole new level of learning and fun when you start posting your notes, and in the case of this tasting, you have the reactions of the other tasters to report on as well.

You won't be alone in any sense of the word.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:44 am

TimMc wrote:I wrote notes but I am reluctant to share them here for fear it won't match up with the collective experiences on this BBS.

Tim, that's precisely the classic wine-anxiety phenomenon which is a big issue in wine-tasting groups.

In case you're interested in it, some time ago (1987) I raised this exact subject on the Internet's wine newsgroup and it produced a thoughtful thread that I saved, and that has sometimes been useful since then. It has not lost a bit of relevance. Because the thread is not currently publicly archived, I re-posted it in full Here.

(Incidentally this example is very typical of the wine newsgroup traffic, then and now, though some threads were longer or had more data.)
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:21 am

Read the collection of posts you referred to and seems they target some of the same issues I have relative to sharing notes.

BTW, I am not at all a shy person, I just know my limitations.

One of the things that holds me back is in that blind tasting the wines [as they normally will] change as they open up. So I didn't want to be the guy who is talking about the wine in my glass at a different point in everybody's tasting. Make sense?

As an example, one of the first wines in the flight had a very tight nose but a mouth full of fruit. Later, I went back to that same glass and you would think I had described an entirely different wine. The nose had opened up some, but was still hard to get. However, the fruit had evolved into a distinctly black cherry note and soft finish. I would have sounded like a brash novice.

I will share this much, the most expensive Zin finished dead last in the tasting which surprised me. I picked it as last, as well. So I guess you score one for me, eh? :D
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:42 am

Tim, with respect, let me quote a really useful tasting note:

[Insert name and vintage of wine here] [initially had] a very tight nose but a mouth full of fruit. Later, I went back to that same glass and you would think I had described an entirely different wine. The nose had opened up some, but was still hard to get. However, the fruit had evolved into a distinctly black cherry note and soft finish.

I've written much worse TNs.

REgards, Bob
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:27 pm

TimMc wrote: I will share this much, the most expensive Zin finished dead last in the tasting which surprised me. I picked it as last, as well. So I guess you score one for me, eh? :D

That wasn't a Rombauer was it? JuliaB is a big Rombauer Zin fan!!! :wink:
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:07 pm

No, it was a Renwood Amador County 2002.

In fact, all the Zins were from either Amador County, Sonoma County, Napa, or Lodi, Califonia.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:57 am

Renwood last, I am not surprised! This winery(?) has been going downhill for quite a while.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:09 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Renwood last, I am not surprised! This winery(?) has been going downhill for quite a while.

Didn't know that...thanks for the heads-up.

Renwood is highly spoken of in California, but this Zin was made in that godawful "California style" [a name which causes me to just grit my teeth]. That is, thin body and a watery finish. Red colored water with alcohol, basically. Horrible stuff, but very popular among the former Sangria and Boonsfarm drinkers.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:12 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Tim, with respect, let me quote a really useful tasting note:

[Insert name and vintage of wine here] [initially had] a very tight nose but a mouth full of fruit. Later, I went back to that same glass and you would think I had described an entirely different wine. The nose had opened up some, but was still hard to get. However, the fruit had evolved into a distinctly black cherry note and soft finish.

I've written much worse TNs.

REgards, Bob

So this would be OK wine tasting notes?

I guess all this time of reading the posts you guys write is beginning to pay off!

Thanks, Bob :D
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:18 pm

Absolutely.

And you've already given us quite a bit of info about the tasting.

I would love to read a typed version of your notes for the whole thing.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:49 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Absolutely.

And you've already given us quite a bit of info about the tasting.

I would love to read a typed version of your notes for the whole thing.

Regards, Bob

Maybe next time, Bob.

I am still a bit, um....shall we say, "gun shy" when it comes to offering an opinion on this BBS. No offense, but I'll take a raincheck. Not willing to risk it right now.

TBH, I have not been well recieved here relative to my particular points of view.
Last edited by TimMc on Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:51 pm

You're doing just great, Tim.

Until next time then.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:53 pm

Bob Ross wrote:You're doing just great, Tim.

Until next time then.

Regards, Bob

Thanks, Bob.

You are definitely one of the Good Guys on this BBS.

I appreciate it.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:52 pm

Hi Tim, hope to see some TNs in the future. I do not worry what others think when I post, its all in my mind/in my scribbles.
Notes from Bob R very precise and easy to read.
My notes have questions, humour and bs!!
Tom Hill, I now like his style but it took time to get used to it......oak/vanilla/cherry/more oak/ tannin/chalk/plum and so on.

Cheers Bob P
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:46 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Hi Tim, hope to see some TNs in the future. I do not worry what others think when I post, its all in my mind/in my scribbles.
Notes from Bob R very precise and easy to read.
My notes have questions, humour and bs!!
Tom Hill, I now like his style but it took time to get used to it......oak/vanilla/cherry/more oak/ tannin/chalk/plum and so on.

Cheers Bob P

Thanks, Bob.

Maybe I'll give it a go sometime.
Previous