The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2007 Maryland Wine Awards

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

2007 Maryland Wine Awards

by Jon Peterson » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:01 pm

Especially for those in the Washington Metro area:

http://www.marylandwine.com/mwa/awards/govcup07.shtml
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: 2007 Maryland Wine Awards

by Brian Gilp » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:59 pm

Thanks Jon. Do you have experience with any of these? I have not tried Maryland wine in years but was thinking of going to Sotterley this year to see if things have improved.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:28 pm

Well, I'll say that I was pleased to see Linganore making the list of gold medal winners and best of class awards. I can vouch for their Chambourcin and Traminette. We all may have friends who like a wine with a bit of residual sugar and that Traminette usually hits the mark for them. (I like it, too.) The Chambourcin, as you may know, grows pretty well in the area and Linganore has done a nice job with this bottling. I think it says a lot that these wine types are at opposite ends of the spectrum but this winery did very well with both. Their SkipJack is very popular at wine festivals, too. They seem to run out of that wine first. I don't have the grape components available right here but they may be on their website.
I also like the Elk Run Vin de Jus Glace - about as close to an Ice Wine as you'll get from MD.
I'm going to Frederick Cellars tomorrow to taste their wines. I'll let you know if there's anything outstanding.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:31 pm

This is interesting. We were just discussing the other night at a tasting I attended how bad Maryland wines are in general.

The presenter had put on a dinner several months ago titled "Treasures of the Chesapeake Bay" which featured VA and MD wines, but he only had one MD winery represented, Elk Run, because he said there were so few good ones to choose from.

I'll forward these results to him - I'm sure he'd be interested.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:52 pm

K Story wrote:This is interesting. We were just discussing the other night at a tasting I attended how bad Maryland wines are in general.

K Story wrote:This is interesting. We were just discussing the other night at a tasting I attended how bad Maryland wines are in general.

You know, K, I have to say that your observation generally fits the case pretty much any area where there hasn't been either a long tradition of winemaking or where there is no concentration of winemaking knowledge and talent. In Niagara, for example, the wines are largely of high quality and although the prices of some may be inflated, they are at least sound.

By contrast, I attended an "outer limits of Ontario wine" tasting in the summer that showed me just how nasty some of those amateurish efforts can be. The one "outer limit" wine that was truly outstanding, a Seyval Blanc from the shores of Georgian Bay where there virtually are no other wineries, was made by accomplished Niagara winemaker Leslie Puddicombe.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:05 pm

Paul B. wrote:In Niagara, for example, the wines are largely of high quality and although the prices of some may be inflated, they are at least sound.

That sort of paradigm comes to my mind when I think of Virginia wines. There are some pretty good quality wines being produced, but I find very few examples where the price is worth it. IMHO only, of course!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:34 pm

I have to say that your observation generally fits the case pretty much any area where there hasn't been either a long tradition of winemaking or where there is no concentration of winemaking knowledge and talent

I agree Paul but unfortunately Maryland has a long history with both Philip Wagner and Lucy Morton. I don't think one can write it off to lack of winemaking knowledge.