The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Here`s an interesting red from Languedoc!! Any idea what I have?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Here`s an interesting red from Languedoc!! Any idea what I have?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:45 pm

Being a big fan of S France, purchased a L`Oustal Blanc, Naick 3 red. It`s N/V from Isabel and Claude Fonquerle. Vin de Table on back label, $30 Cdn and a big 15%alc.

Any comments appreciated, Salut!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Here`s an interesting red from Languedoc!! Any idea what I have?

by Tim York » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:31 am

Bob,

If you read French (aren't Canadians supposed to be bilingual?), there is a link here giving some information -

http://www.chateauloisel.com/vin/langue ... -blanc.htm
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:24 am

Thanks Tim, yup speak fluent as I worked in France for a few years. Also did "A"level French stuff.
Not much info on the label, back and front... no mention of a vintage?. Think will google visit asap. Appreciate your reply though. Store did confirm 3/4 usual varietals.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:41 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Being a big fan of S France, purchased a L`Oustal Blanc, Naick 3 red. It`s N/V from Isabel and Claude Fonquerle. Vin de Table on back label, $30 Cdn and a big 15%alc.

Any comments appreciated, Salut!

They are in the Cotes du Ventoux. They seem to produce Minervois wines plus the L'Oustal Blanck NV line, from 8 acres of grapes.

What surprises me is the $30 tag for a Vin de Table NV.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:41 pm

Re: Vaucluse

The owner, Claude Fonquerle, comes from Vaucluse (Château Valmont) but the estate is in Minervois.

According to Le Classement, the estate tends to harvest its grapes very ripe with the result that alcohol is high. They recommend drinking them in the winter!

Mention of vintage is illegal in France for Vins de Table, which makes it odd that both the Château Loisel website and Classement mention them for the Naïck range.

The French price for this wine is about 12 EUR.
Tim York
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:29 pm

From CT it's a Grenache blend..but maybe that was clear from the location....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:53 am

Re: Grenache blend

The Château Loisel link gives the varietal composition of Naïck and Grenache only represents 10%; Cinsault is 50% which could account for a reported taste of prunes.

Incidentally it looks, from the same site, as if the number following "Naîck" give a clue to the vintage, viz. Naiïck 2 is 2002, Naïck 3 is 2003 and so on. A neat way to get round a stupid law!
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:25 am

Thanks for all the helpful info from everyone. Am under the weather right now but will get back with some thoughts!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Re: Here`s an interesting red from Languedoc!! Any idea what I h

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:09 pm

Tim York wrote:Re: Grenache blend

The Château Loisel link gives the varietal composition of Naïck and Grenache only represents 10%; Cinsault is 50% which could account for a reported taste of prunes.

Incidentally it looks, from the same site, as if the number following "Naîck" give a clue to the vintage, viz. Naiïck 2 is 2002, Naïck 3 is 2003 and so on. A neat way to get round a stupid law!

I have spent a good hour running around the `net here! Seems to be a lot of confusion out there about grape content but looks like Tim has nailed it regards Cinsault content. I saw 60% somewhere so more prunes eh!!

However, I just looked again on that website. Think thats the `02 Tim???
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Thomas wrote:They are in the Cotes du Ventoux. They seem to produce Minervois wines plus the L'Oustal Blanck NV line, from 8 acres of grapes.

What surprises me is the $30 tag for a Vin de Table NV.

Thomas, the price surprises me too. What surprises me even more is that Bob paid it! Or someone did I suppose.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:32 pm

Lol, they still have some on the shelf...a year and a half later!
OK I fess up, I did fork out the dough. Just cannot seem to pass S France by.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:35 pm

Well, the bottle was polished off quite nicely. Still rather bemused by the Vin de Table Francais appellation here and website seems to skirt around the issue. The grape varieties seem OK but possible this wine is a Minervois and St Chinian blend which could explain it all? Maybe Tim has some further insight.

WTN: Naick 3 L`Oustal Blanc, Vin de Table Francais.

Excellent natural cork, 15% alc, cost was excessive..$30 Cdn. Opened an hour but not decanted. Smart packaging but little info on any label.
One website thinks 70% Grenache, 15% Carignan, 15% Syrah.
Claude Finquerie has a CdP background but also owned a property in Ventoux area before settling in Minervois.

Color. A medium ruby-red with violet fades on the rim. Not a big depth of centre.

Nose. Cherry, plum, ripe, pepper. "Makes me think of a GSM blend" from across the table. Not a bad deduction I thought. Still showed some nice complexity on day 2.

Palate. Initial entry thoughts were blackberry, raspberry, soft tannins, low acidity, just a brief hint of some heat. This is the `03 vintage remember.
Thought I perceived some loganberry after an hour or so, plus some prunes and cocoa but no real agreement at the table. Agreed medium-bodied and some herb du Provence. No oak tones as 80% cement vats.

Very expensive for what it is, wonder how this wine would turn out in a better vintage?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:46 am

Bob, the Oustal Blanc range is expensive here, too; which is the reason why I haven't bought any, though the quality is good. Their top Minervois La Livinière goes for some €29 :evil: . One of my reference books quotes the cellar door retail price of Naick6 at €12; so I guess a trade price of €9. You can estimate the profits of the Canadian distribution chain from there.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:02 am

Tim York wrote:Bob, the Oustal Blanc range is expensive here, too; which is the reason why I haven't bought any, though the quality is good. Their top Minervois La Livinière goes for some €29 :evil: . One of my reference books quotes the cellar door retail price of Naick6 at €12; so I guess a trade price of €9. You can estimate the profits of the Canadian distribution chain from there.

Guess you have figured it out Tim....Federal tax, Provincial tax, Alberta Liquor Control Board %, agents cut, gst, winestore mark up. There is no end to it!!

Anyhows Tim, just hit another jackpot. See here.....>!!

http://languedoc-wine.blogspot.com/
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:41 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Anyhows Tim, just hit another jackpot. See here.....>!!

http://languedoc-wine.blogspot.com/

Bob, I have had some Mas Bruguière and very good it is too. :)
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jonathan Loesberg

Rank

Wine geek

Sun May 24, 2009 11:13 am

by Jonathan Loesberg » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:26 am

Philippe Cambie, who is an oenologue all over Chateauneuf du Pape, makes this wine. The red versions all taste Cambie-ish to me, which is from me, not a compliment. But if you are a fan of Isabel Ferrando's wines or the upper cuvees of Clos St. Jean, you may like them. The whites are also somewhat overshowy, but I have liked them in small doses. I expect the price tag results from all the expensive things Cambie does to his wine.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:25 pm

Thanks for the imput Jonathan. Not a wine I would buy again, it was just a spur of the minute thing as Languedoc always pulls the wallet out!
Like many, I prefer to stick to the wines I know or have read about here.

I think it is time for a Lanky-Dock Wine Focus or at least an Open Mike here on this place!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:39 pm

Tim York wrote:Bob, the Oustal Blanc range is expensive here, too; which is the reason why I haven't bought any, though the quality is good. Their top Minervois La Livinière goes for some €29 :evil: . One of my reference books quotes the cellar door retail price of Naick6 at €12; so I guess a trade price of €9. You can estimate the profits of the Canadian distribution chain from there.

Was in store again today and right next to the Oustal I found a newly arrived `04 Domaine de Courbissac Pandora Minervois La Liviniere. Marc Tempe from Alsace is a co-owner.