The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A good day (Soave and Burgundy)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: A good day (Soave and Burgundy)

by Dale Williams » Mon May 08, 2006 9:11 am

Sunday was a beautiful sunny day, and Betsy joined Lucy and I for our normal weekend walk to my office. Home for a little yardwork, a lunch of grilled asparagus salad, then I decided to accompany her to the Vox showcase. We managed to fit in a stop at Astor Wines and a walk through Washington Square before the performance. Six half-hour samples from operas looking for production (ranged from intriguing to banal, with most offering at least some interest, quite fun ), then we had another short walk on a glorious day before going to dinner at Landmarc in Tribeca.

I'd heard good things about this restaurant (and especially the wine list), but their no-reservation policy had made me hesitant re planning dinner there. This seemed like the perfect opportunity- early on a Sunday evening, and we weren't far away to start with. We were able to get a table immediately (and they found a place we could stand cello and watch it). Let me just start by saying this is indeed probably the best priced wine list in NYC. They say they price "about retail", but that's if you shop at the highest priced shop in town (USW maybe). Still, prices are very good ('01 Marcarini Brunate for $61, '01 Terrabianca Campaccio for mid-$30s, etc.) and selection is reasonably wide. Several interesting things I steered away from due to '03 European heat, but settled on a pair of half-bottles, each at $14 (Betsy's first wine in over 10 days):

2004 Pieropan Soave Classico - Floral nose with some nuts and slatey minerals, clean crisp green apple fruit with a twist of lemon. Nuttiness is stronger on finish. Nice, and went well with my snail salad. B/B+

Pretty wine with lots of depth and concentration for a simple Bourgogne. 2004 Nicolas Potel ''Cuvee Gerard Potel'' Bourgogne RougeBlack cherry and berry fruit, earth and spice. Good clean finish if not especially long. My first 2004 red Burgundy, and a very credible effort for the level. Light enough for my dish of cold tongue, and stood up to Betsy's lamb chop. And quite the deal for $14/375 in a restaurant. A B+, but a solid A for value and for the pleasure of again sharing wine with my wife.

As good as days get, even if wines were of "everyday drinker" status.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
[/b]