WTN: Mondeuse, deuse, deuse

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Mondeuse, deuse, deuse

Postby David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:50 pm

2011 Lagier Meredith Mondeuse Noir - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder
This is a really interesting wine. It is not something you drink every day. There's a distinct pine needle & rosemary element on the nose, and it it both rich and bright on the palate. Not a ton of fruit, and what is there has a very dark edge. A touch of bitterness also comes through on the finish. Like I said - really interesting. Not quite sure whether I actually like it or not. That pine needle/rosemary thing is my favorite part of the wine - I kept going back to the wine just for that.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Re: WTN: Mondeuse, deuse, deuse

Postby Dale Williams » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:29 pm

Thanks for note- very interesting. I find the recent trend of CA making wines from grapes a bit out of the mainstream (Trousseau!) very cool. I could probably count the Savoie Mondeuses I've had on one hand, would love to try a CA rendition.
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur

Postby David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:57 pm

I have one more. Happy to save it, find a way to transfer it gratis. Carrier Salil perhaps?
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Sometimes interesting is a great thing! Even if one is not sure one "likes it" per se. :twisted:

My "interesting but not sure I like it" wine is Lacrima Di Moro d'Alba. Really, really weird. The Gelato shop/cafe in Downtown Napa (run by some older Italians) stocks it as part of their menu of five or six wines!!!! :shock:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Brian K Miller
Passionate Arboisphile

Postby JC (NC) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:59 pm

I guess I will find out about the Mondeuse. I just ordered a three-pack from Lagier-Meredith that includes a bottle of Mondeuse but shipping will wait until the second Polar Vortex is history. I'm supposed to drive to Raleigh tomorrow afternoon but we may be getting snow.
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Postby Dale Williams » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:01 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I have one more. Happy to save it, find a way to transfer it gratis. Carrier Salil perhaps?

Thanks David, happy to trade. But if you want yours, I see it's available in Bedford where I have a speech Wed. Alternatively you could hold and we could find a time to try together, maybe my contribution could be '77 Marthas! :)
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur

Return to The Wine Forum