Lift Up / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Lift Up / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:54 am

B"SD
Sometimes because of impatience I can fall.And sometimes make mistakes in judgement due to that impatience.Even big mistakes . It shouldnt be confused with the energy of being impulsive. Perhaps when the occasion calls for patience with others is ussualy when we should give things more time.
Have a good one; H
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Lift Up / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Birger Vejrum » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi Harry,

Privately and as a social worker I know this :wink:
Today, Barolo Roggeri 2005, Crissante Alessandria in La Morra.

All the best
Birger
Birger Vejrum
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi Harry, shavua tov,

Friday night:

Tulip, Mostly, Cabernet Franc 2011: This is the new vintage, following the inaugural and successful kosher 2010. The exact percentages aren't anywhere to be found on the label however I assume it is the more or less like the 2010 thus 85% Cabernet Franc and 15% Merlot, aged for 14 months in French oak barrels. Dark garnet towards purple with on the nose raspberries, currants and toasted oak with a hint of peppermint. Medium, perhaps medium to full-bodied with on the palate lots of juicy red fruit such as raspberries, sour cherries and cranberries followed by oriental spices, freshly ground pepper and tobacco leaves with very good acidity and rather soft tannins rising and gently coating the mouth with notes of spicy cedar wood on the moderately long finish. A nice and reasonably priced Cabernet Franc (70 NIS - $20), 13% Abv.

Gat Shomron, 24K, "Ice Wine" Viognier 2011: Delicious as always.

Shabbat lunch:

GHW, Yarden, Sauvignon Blanc 2013: This is a magnificent wine and it might well be the best Sauvignon Blanc I've had to this day. Yup, that much. Until this wine I've never found GHW's Sauvignon Blanc wines to be particularly interesting, but this wine along with its younger brother Gamla/Gilgal Sauvignon Blanc are among the few 2013 wines I've tasted so far that prove at least that it was a great year in the Golan Heights for wine and probably for the rest of the country as well. This wine combines the exuberance of New Zealand and Israeli Sauvignon Blanc and the austerity of France's Loire Sancerre. Aged for 2 months in French oak barrels. Light gold/pale straw in color with on the nose intense scents of citrus and tropical fruit such as cantaloupe and fresh guava and with a hint of white lilies. Medium-bodied with on the palate lemon drops, gooseberries, grapefruit and notes of orange zest followed by stoney minerals and flint, a very subtle touch of smokiness from the very well-balanced and masterfully integrated oak and bracing acidity carry the wine with notes of nectarines and a touch of lemongrass lingering with a bit of tannins delicately drying the mouth on the long finish. Superb and a huge QPR winner at 50-60 NIS ($14-17). 13.5% Abv.

Teperberg, Terra, Malbec 2011: Excellent as always.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby lewis.pasco » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:20 pm

Today at late lunch we had the Shiloh 2012 Chardonnay. 2nd time for me and both times I have loved this wine,and I'm not a big fan of Israeli Chards in general.

Went really well with trout baked/braised in white wine (the Chard itself) with shallots, taragon (lots), thyme and EVOO. There's a green note in the Chard I find most attractive and the wood is merely a framework for this chard.

Chaim Shraga my man this one's for you.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi Harry, shavu'a tov,

Birger, been awhile. How have you been?

Gabe, $20? In the US the 2010 was $30+, maybe $35. We'll see about the 2011.

2009 Teperberg Terra Malbec. Friday night, smooth as silk, fruit everything just right. Shabbat shalom, lost its character. OK drinking but what set it off Friday night was gone.

A good week to all,

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:30 am

Shabbat Valentine's Day for all you unromantic Israelis. That means I get to do my once-a-year cooking, all of which (miraculously?) usually comes out well.

and the wines chosen for the occasion

2000 Chateau la Commanderies des Mazeyres (Pomerol). Rogov gave this 91 points a couple of years ago, and it seems even better now.

2005 Domaine Pinson Chablis 1er cru La Foret

2006 Qunita del Pego late bottled Port
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Z Spigelman » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:46 am

Hi Harry.
Bravdo Shiraz 2010 and Chardonnay 2012.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:59 am

Hi; galil mt shiraz ''09. Interesting comparison to the GM cab/shiraz '09. The shiraz is drinking well,rogov tn says 2014 but the blend is so much more expressive. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Birger Vejrum » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:50 pm

Isaac Chavel wrote:Hi Harry, shavu'a tov,

Birger, been awhile. How have you been?

Isaac

Hi Isaac,

Fine thanks and best wishes to you...
I am visiting each day almost but do not post much...

All the best
Birger
Birger Vejrum
Ultra geek

Postby Bill Coleman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:32 am

Wow, Four Gates 2010 Petit Verdot.
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby Moshe F » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi All,

This weekend I had 2011 Bodega Flechas de Los Andes Malbec Gran Malbec and 2008 Herzog Riesling Late Harvest Monterey County White Riesling. The Malbec was nice but had a corky sort of smell which blew off after a while and developed to show some nice blackberries and vanilla. The Late Harvest Riesling was very nice and far exceeded my expectations at around 8 USD.

A great week to all!

Moshe
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Pinchas L » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:06 pm

Hi Harry,

This past week I had a bunch of neighborhood friends come by for a wine tasting Friday night, hence I didn't get to focus my attention on any particular wine. The tasting was very enjoyable from a social perspective, and an interesting wine tasting experiment. The idea was to serve several flights, where each flight was composed of the 5 varieties that enter into a Bordeaux blend. So that in each of the first 3 flights there were a Cabernet Sauvignon, a Merlot, a Cabernet Franc, a Malbec and a Petit Verdot. These wines were served blind, and the point was for us to identify the characteristics of the various varietals.

In the first flight I added a slight twist throwing in a sixth bottle that was a second Malbec. These were the wines in the first flight:

1. Tour de Bousquay 2010 - a French Merlot
2. Malbec City Winery 2012, made with grapes sourced from Argentina
3. Petit Verdot Four Gates 2010
4. Cabrernet Sauvingon 2012 (Private label, made by a friend a garagiste)
5. Cabernet Franc Ella Valley 2007
6. Malbec Flechas des los Andes

The second flight consisted of the following, with the twist in this flight that one of the wines was not a variety that traditionally goes into a Bordeaux blend:

1. Cabernet Sauvignon City Winery 2009 Battinelli Vineyard
2. Merlot Flam 2010
3. Cabernet Franc Four Gates
4. Petit Verdot Volcanus - a Spanish wine.
5. Malbec Tishbi 2010
6. Flam Syrah 2010

The third flight consisted of the following, with the twist that a sixth bottle was added, that was Bordeaux blend:

1. 1/XII a Cabernet Sauvignon from Herzog
2. Merlot Prix Hagafen 2004
3. Cabernet Franc City Winery 2010
4. Petit Verdot Yatir 2009
5. Malbec Teperberg 2010
6. La Tour de Seran 2010 - a French Bordeaux blend (I'm not certain of the bottling).

Then I served a couple of additional bottles that were either blends or of interest.

1. Yatir Forest 2009 - The purpose was to exhibit a blend that was very heavy on the Petit Verdot
2. Shirah Coalition 2010 - a blend, but not strictly of Bordeaux varieties.
3. Merlot Four Gates M.S.C. 2008
4. Petit Verdot Ramot Naftaly 2010 - from a bottle that has been open for quite some time
5. Castel Gran Vin 2007

The first lesson I learned was that seldom were people able to identify that particular variety. In the first flight the winemaker failed to identify his own Malbec, when incidentally, the only variety that was identified was the Malbec from Flechas des los Andes, a wine that happens to be distinctive in its flavor profile. People that have proclaimed beforehand that Cabernet Sauvignon was the only wine they enjoy, were surprised to learn how appealing some of the other wines were, such as the Petit Verdot from Four Gates or the French Merlot.

This tasting was no exception to what I've already learned previously, that wines that are enjoyed at a tasting are not necessarily those that are most enjoyed when accompanying a meal.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Last edited by Pinchas L on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby lewis.pasco » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:26 am

GHW, Yarden, Sauvignon Blanc 2013: This is a magnificent wine and it might well be the best Sauvignon Blanc I've had to this day. Yup, that much. Until this wine I've never found GHW's Sauvignon Blanc wines to be particularly interesting, but this wine along with its younger brother Gamla/Gilgal Sauvignon Blanc are among the few 2013 wines I've tasted so far that prove at least that it was a great year in the Golan Heights for wine and probably for the rest of the country as well. This wine combines the exuberance of New Zealand and Israeli Sauvignon Blanc and the austerity of France's Loire Sancerre. Aged for 2 months in French oak barrels. Light gold/pale straw in color with on the nose intense scents of citrus and tropical fruit such as cantaloupe and fresh guava and with a hint of white lilies. Medium-bodied with on the palate lemon drops, gooseberries, grapefruit and notes of orange zest followed by stoney minerals and flint, a very subtle touch of smokiness from the very well-balanced and masterfully integrated oak and bracing acidity carry the wine with notes of nectarines and a touch of lemongrass lingering with a bit of tannins delicately drying the mouth on the long finish. Superb and a huge QPR winner at 50-60 NIS ($14-17). 13.5% Abv.

Had the Gamla 2013 Sauv Blanc last night with broiled salmon steaks, steamed broccoli, steamed new potatoes, and ratatouille (with lots of fresh zatar, mmm).

Indeed the wine was a pleasure. Light in color and mid-weight on the palate, with the most lovely green-tropical fruit notes of passion fruit and a crisp finish, I agree with Gabby that this (just the Gamla level) is probably the best SB I've ever had from RHG and one of the best SBs in Israel I can recall. I wouldn't go so far as GG's eloquent TN for the Yarden series SB which makes the wine sound like an explosive one on the nose, but it is very very elegant and refined and fresh and citrusy and tropical green, and that's what I want from Sauv Blanc. Also, the wine had very little bitterness on the palate or aftertaste, and that's often a problem with SBs... not in this lovely wine. I'll be drinking this one often this summer with fish, salads, goat cheese, quiche, etc etc.

Bravo.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby Moshe F » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:44 pm

Pinchas L, seems you throw quite the tasting. I recall you hosted a similar one last year. Kudos on showing more people the wonderfulness of the juice.
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Mike BG » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:20 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:GHW, Yarden, Sauvignon Blanc 2013: This is a magnificent wine and it might well be the best Sauvignon Blanc I've had to this day. Yup, that much. Until this wine I've never found GHW's Sauvignon Blanc wines to be particularly interesting, but this wine along with its younger brother Gamla/Gilgal Sauvignon Blanc are among the few 2013 wines I've tasted so far that prove at least that it was a great year in the Golan Heights for wine and probably for the rest of the country as well. This wine combines the exuberance of New Zealand and Israeli Sauvignon Blanc and the austerity of France's Loire Sancerre. Aged for 2 months in French oak barrels. Light gold/pale straw in color with on the nose intense scents of citrus and tropical fruit such as cantaloupe and fresh guava and with a hint of white lilies. Medium-bodied with on the palate lemon drops, gooseberries, grapefruit and notes of orange zest followed by stoney minerals and flint, a very subtle touch of smokiness from the very well-balanced and masterfully integrated oak and bracing acidity carry the wine with notes of nectarines and a touch of lemongrass lingering with a bit of tannins delicately drying the mouth on the long finish. Superb and a huge QPR winner at 50-60 NIS ($14-17). 13.5% Abv.

I took up your rave review and bought a few bottles for a family simcha this shabbos. I have to say that it was a major hit! I was a bit sceptical as to whether it might not go down too well with our relatives but they just couldn't stop talking about it!
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:17 pm

Mike BG wrote:
Gabriel Geller wrote:GHW, Yarden, Sauvignon Blanc 2013: This is a magnificent wine and it might well be the best Sauvignon Blanc I've had to this day. Yup, that much. Until this wine I've never found GHW's Sauvignon Blanc wines to be particularly interesting, but this wine along with its younger brother Gamla/Gilgal Sauvignon Blanc are among the few 2013 wines I've tasted so far that prove at least that it was a great year in the Golan Heights for wine and probably for the rest of the country as well. This wine combines the exuberance of New Zealand and Israeli Sauvignon Blanc and the austerity of France's Loire Sancerre. Aged for 2 months in French oak barrels. Light gold/pale straw in color with on the nose intense scents of citrus and tropical fruit such as cantaloupe and fresh guava and with a hint of white lilies. Medium-bodied with on the palate lemon drops, gooseberries, grapefruit and notes of orange zest followed by stoney minerals and flint, a very subtle touch of smokiness from the very well-balanced and masterfully integrated oak and bracing acidity carry the wine with notes of nectarines and a touch of lemongrass lingering with a bit of tannins delicately drying the mouth on the long finish. Superb and a huge QPR winner at 50-60 NIS ($14-17). 13.5% Abv.

I took up your rave review and bought a few bottles for a family simcha this shabbos. I have to say that it was a major hit! I was a bit sceptical as to whether it might not go down too well with our relatives but they just couldn't stop talking about it!

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one! :lol:
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum