Special Outfits / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Special Outfits / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:11 am

B"SD
Dressed for the occasion. A wedding suit or gown. Perhaps an outfit worn to a meeting with a king or president. The effect is twofold. Within and without. Respect towards those we want to show it to and self respect too.And when we have them both we really can look good.
Have a good one; H
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Special Outfits / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:54 pm

Shavua Tov!

Friday night:

Ella Valley, Vineyards, Pinot Noir 2008: WOW! This wine blew me away. I thought I'd never taste it as it was a very limited run and for the past 3 years I was unable to find a bottle. Last week, as I was looking for the 2013 Yarden Sauvignon Blanc (I'll soon post about this one, be on the look out as it's amazing) I walked into one of the few wine shops in the Machane Yehuda shuk area in Jerusalem and there I saw a single, abandoned bottle on the shelf. The price was very reasonable, 100 NIS ($28).
100% Pinot Noir, aged for 16 months in french oak barrels. Deep cherry red in color with on the nose sweet cherries, red berries toasted oak and wet grass. Full-bodied with on the palate plenty of sour cherries, redcurrants, tart strawberries, a hint of spice and cedar with nice minerality on the mid-palate, followed by more cherries and cigar tobacco with bracing acidity and mouth-drying tannins and more red fruit lingering on the long and elegant finish. Along with the 2009 Gvaot, might well be the best Pinot Noir I've ever had from Israel. 14% Abv.

Shabbat lunch:

Psagot, Merlot 2008: This was a nice wine 2 years ago, unfortunately this bottle was completely DOA with heavy dates on both nose and palate. Sad.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi, Harry shavu'a tov,

Shabbat at home: 2011 Elvi Mati Rioja. Disappointing compared to 2009, 2010. To be fair, this might need more time in the bottle.

A good week to all,

Isaac

PS Gabe, which store. I learned the hard way to only by recent vintages in those stores. I guess at 100 NIS you couldn't pass up the experiment. :D
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Jonathan K » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:59 pm

Flam Blanc 2012: I have always liked this wine although I have never been a fan of chard/SB mixtures. The last couple of bottles were delightful. More interesting- I opened a bottle with Shabbat lunch last week, had one glass and forgot about it. Found it Friday in the fridge and had it with dinner and I would have never been able to tell that it had been opened a week ago. Still very fresh and well balanced. Not suggesting anybody try that but I was impresssed.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:42 pm

Isaac Chavel wrote:PS Gabe, which store. I learned the hard way to only by recent vintages in those stores. I guess at 100 NIS you couldn't pass up the experiment. :D

Hi Isaac, it was the Mashkaot Agripas store up the street on the left side walking up from the shuk. Indeed I could certainly not pass on the experiment, first time ever for me seeing that bottle I had long given up on my hope to find and I also knew I could return it if it was bad. It was worth every shekel and for the record, I scored this wine a 93 on cellartracker and a drinking window till 2018. Yup, that much. :D
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Gedalya P » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:06 am

Tasted Binyamina Reserve Carignan and Gewurtztraminer. They were both enjoyable.
Baltika Cooler beer in a big plastic bottle was excellent.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
Gedalya P
Wine geek

Postby gaston k » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:06 pm

Fri Night - Ella Valley CS 2009 - very good, held up nicely to both shawarma and roast
Sat Lunch - La Trappe Quadruppel Ale, a little sweet but tasty
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:10 pm

2003 Jean-Claude Boisset Pommard 1er cru Clos des Vergers
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi; fri nite was a bottle of Barkan assemblage eitan '10. It can be just me but didn't find any depth or definitive taste to the wine. By day again galil Mt cab/shiraz '09 was deep and flavorful. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby R Liberman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:13 pm

Hi Harry,

Friday night: Galil Mountain Barbera, 2010 - I really enjoy a good Barbera, and I think this one is hard to beat at this price point ($17.99). It's medium bodied with flavors that just burst open in your mouth, followed by a long and smooth finish. Very nice; just sorry I only bought one bottle.

Shabbat Lunch: Our guests brought a Soreka Special Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon which my wife and I just did not enjoy very much. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it just had a funny after taste. To the rescue came a bottle of the newly released Vintage Whites 2012 form the Shirah Winery. This wine is 90% Viognier and 10% Roussanne and it absolutely delicious. Wow, what a great tasting wine. We purchased six bottles, but I'm going to order more - Spring and Summer aren't too far off and this will be a great Summertime wine.
Last edited by R Liberman on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
R Liberman
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:19 am

Indeed the Vintage white is a great wine, though a bit too bitter, but the wines are made by the Weiss Brothers, Shirah Winery.

Have a great week!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Jon J » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:25 am

Friday Night - 1848 2012 Special Edition Cabernet Sauvignon
Shabbat Lunch - Barkan 2010 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
Jon J
Wine geek

Postby Adam M » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:14 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the 2010 Capcanes La Flor over THREE days this past weekend. Is was a sincere treat and was rock solidy to the very last drop. I didn't have this luck with my 2007s. Great wine.
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Pinchas L » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi Harry,

Makom (by Hadju) Grenache Blanc 2012 - The citrusy and pollen laden nose is expressive, with a nice follow through to the palate. The weight is substantial enough so that it can stand up to food. 14% AbV. B+/**/Y

Tishbi Shiraz 2007 - If the initial mouth-feel is somewhat lacking, feeling a tad tired, the finish redeems it, offering a complex and intriguing finish. The body is on light side, with primary notes of iodine and meat, whereas the notes of fruit are muddied. 14% AbV. B-/**/N

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Moshe F » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:14 pm

Better late than never (some say).

This weekend I had
2011 GooseBay Pinot Noir. Just fine. Should have been drank a year ago but was fine for a crowd.
2012 Tabor Shiraz. good body. A bit closed and should have opened earlier to air out but didnt. I was happy with it (especially for 12USD!).
2012 Golan Heights Winery Yarden Chardonnay Odem Organic Vineyard. Was nice, though, I want it to be a bit crisper and tone down the nuttiness.

Does anyone else find that the Tabor wines all take a while to open up? i found with all three I tried, 2010 tabor adama CS, 2012 CS, and 2012 Shiraz.

A good rest of the week to all!
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Isaac Chavel » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:03 pm

yes, moshe, i had that with the 2010 tabor adams CS.
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:16 am

I did find the 2012 wines from Tabor to be VERY solid and VERY good QPR wines. Also, the 2007 Tishbi Shiraz has died a long time ago, IMHO. The Tabor wines do not need that much time, from the 2012 vintage, but these are the baseline wines. Finally, I was not overly impressed by the Yarden 2012 odem Chard, seemed over oaked to me, again IMO.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:38 am

David Raccah wrote:I did find the 2012 wines from Tabor to be VERY solid and VERY good QPR wines. Also, the 2007 Tishbi Shiraz has died a long time ago, IMHO. The Tabor wines do not need that much time, from the 2012 vintage, but these are the baseline wines. Finally, I was not overly impressed by the Yarden 2012 odem Chard, seemed over oaked to me, again IMO.

100% agreed. However the 2012 Yarden Katzrin Chardonnay is very nice!
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Pinchas L » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:51 pm

David Raccah wrote:...Also, the 2007 Tishbi Shiraz has died a long time ago, IMHO.

David,

Are you claiming that the shelf-life of wine is like that of fresh milk? :roll:

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:04 pm

Not knowing how milk arrived in David's Tn? Personaly found the tabor shiraz '12 as a wine that's what it is is and airing it or ageing it won't change it. And I could be mistaken.h
As for the 07 tishbi would be curious I'd David racahas feeling are from a recent taste
Harry J
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum