Mevushal Version of Peraj Petita

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Mevushal Version of Peraj Petita

Postby Adam M » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Does one exist??
Adam M
Wine guru

Re: Mevushal Version of Peraj Petita

Postby Isaac C » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:23 pm

Yes, and Peraj Haabib too. First time they did it.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Adam M » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:30 pm

Just checking who else knew this.
I saw them on the menu at the Reserve Cut yesterday. $63 for the Petita and $110 for the Haabib. I recommended to Jergen at Capcanes a couple of years ago that they do this so they can penetrate the US restuarant market, which is controlled by certain monopolistic existential powers ( :x ).
So I will happily take full credit for this 8)
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Craig Winchell » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:47 pm

But Adam M, they are brought in by Royal. Which means they are in cahoots with them.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Josh Kramer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:40 am

They are actually some of the best value wines at Reserve Cut (some of them are indecently expensive based on their retail price)
Josh Kramer
Wine geek

Postby Adam M » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:38 am

Craig Winchell wrote:But Adam M, they are brought in by Royal. Which means they are in cahoots with them.

Very fair point, Craig. My jab would have been better place if, eg, a Yiron had shown up on the menu. But we know that aint happening soon...
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby gaston k » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:48 pm

I took some colleagues to Reserve Cut, and while they all spoke highly of the food, they were quite impressed with Peraj petita mevushal that we enjoyed. It was definitely one of the best values on the extensive wine menu, and actually an easy choice.
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:58 am

I liked the 2012 Petita mevushal. The pricing at the restaurant is absurd, but it is nice.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Mark Lieser » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:13 pm

While on the topic of Capcanes, if I can slightly change the subject....

I'm in the process of planning a trip to Spain in the spring. Has anyone here ever visited the winery? Is it a worthwhile side trip? It seems like a doable day trip from Barcelona.

Mark Lieser
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Remember they are NOT a kosher winery by themselves, about 10% of their wine or 8% is kosher. So, you cannot do a tasting there, enough said. A better bet would be to get into contact with Mosises from Elvi Wines, his winery is 100% kosher and he can have a kosher tasting for you

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:32 am

Mark Lieser wrote:While on the topic of Capcanes, if I can slightly change the subject....

I'm in the process of planning a trip to Spain in the spring. Has anyone here ever visited the winery? Is it a worthwhile side trip? It seems like a doable day trip from Barcelona.

Mark Lieser

i was supposed to stop in barcelona a year ago, i spoke to jurgen who was more than happy to host, you can open the bottles there due to mevushal etc not sure on glasses ?
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Andrew B » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:36 am

Elchonon Hellinger wrote:
Mark Lieser wrote:While on the topic of Capcanes, if I can slightly change the subject....

Mark Lieser

i was supposed to stop in barcelona a year ago, i spoke to jurgen who was more than happy to host, you can open the bottles there due to mevushal etc not sure on glasses ?

Sounds like a lot of work to taste wines that are mostly likely available on the open market. Given that it's not a kosher winery, probably no chance of barrel samples.
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:20 am

Please contact my friend Mendy Hadad, he's Juergen's hands for making the kosher wines at Capçanes. Perhaps he'll have the relevant info.

mendyhadad@gmail.com

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:26 pm

Andrew B wrote:
Elchonon Hellinger wrote:

Mark Lieser

Sounds like a lot of work to taste wines that are mostly likely available on the open market. Given that it's not a kosher winery, probably no chance of barrel samples.

drinking wine with jurgen, even out of a bottle, is mad fun. That guy is a blast and a riot. He's my favorite person at KFWE

Also, its really just fun to drink a wine with its creator as well as at the winery etc..
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Mark Lieser » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks for all the replies and help.

David: I realize that only a fraction is kosher there. I honestly hadn't considered that that would make it not worthwhile to visit. I'll do some more due diligence. And thanks for the Elvi suggestion. I have no familiarity with their wines, so I guess I didn't think of them.

Andrew: Capcanes is not that easy to get in Israel (where I live), so that would be one reason to visit. Admittedly, barrel tastings would be unlikely. However, I spend a fair amount of time at Israeli wineries for tastings - despite the fact that I can get most of those wines at any local wine store.

But like Elchonon points out, even without barrel tasting, I enjoy tasting a wine with the winemaker to get his thoughts. I recently spent a couple of hours with Amichai Luria in Shiloh. Even just tasting what is bottled, it was fun and educational. I can say the same for any number of other places. And thanks to Gabriel's kind intervention I had the privilege earlier in the year to sit with Yaakov Oriyah at Midbar for over three hours - where I probably learned more about white wine than I'd ever known. So, even if I can buy stuff on the open market, I still think the winery visits are good - at least for me.

But, I do appreciate all the suggestions.

Shavua tov,

Mark
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby Craig Winchell » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:54 pm

I realize you guys are subject to the VIP treatment wherever you go, but in my experience, winemakers are not asked to and don't give barrel tastings very often. I did it with Raccah and Binyamin when they came up, for which I had expectations well in advance, but the fact is that had Gabe and Shimon not been there to scamper over the cooperage, I probably would not have done it, given the barrels were stacked 5 high. Many good to great winemakers are old men like myself, and they can't do the scampering, and they don't want to pull their employees away from what they are doing to pull barrel samples to massage the vanity of interested parties, even if they are friends, and especially if they are not. Obviously, it would be different with barrels stacked 2 high. But in any case, I agree, because I must, with Elk. Go to the wineries to taste what's available, and maybe the winemaker will treat you to a little VIP treatment by taking a personal interest in you. But no expectations on more. You may be pleasantly surprised. Certainly, no matter where I am or what I am doing, even my friends should not expect more, and I don't know any VIPs. Some winemakers, if I respect them, may get a bit of professional courtesy, though.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Michael P » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:37 pm

Any vote for the mevushal version of the Peraj Petita - not a bad choice when I need to serve mevushal.
Michael P
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:06 pm

The mevu 2012 petita is VERY solid and may well be the best mevu wine out there at the price point
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:23 pm

Definitely a well worthy choice
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum