Good wines/deals at Ben Gurion Airport

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Good wines/deals at Ben Gurion Airport

Postby Harvey L » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:50 am

I know this query comes up from time to time, but can anyone share whether there are any screaming must-buys currently? Is there a way to check in from time to time to find out what's going at BG?
Harvey L
Wine geek

Re: Good wines/deals at Ben Gurion Airport

Postby Susan Lilly » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:10 pm

I don't know what they have in BG's duty-free shop, but make sure that your airline allows wine to be carried on before you spend time picking out bottles. On one of my previous flights, I spent an hour in the duty free shop to select 4 bottles of wine I couldn't get at home for my husband and me to carry on. Got to the cash register, and when they asked what flight, they told us that airline did not allow bottles to be brought on. The airline was Continental, which is no longer in business (for unrelated reasons, presumably!), but just check. El Al did allow bottles on board.
Susan Lilly
Cellar rat

Postby Alexander F » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:04 pm

The BG duty free website has been recently updated: dutyfree.co.il
The prices there vary, some higher than in local stores, some are the same. However, they have a good deal of 3+1 without limiting buying the same wine. The "free" bottle is the cheapest of the four.
Moet Chandon Rose and a regular one are a good deal compared to local prices.
Alexander F
Ultra geek

Postby Mark Lieser » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:12 pm

The "buy three get the fourth free," i.e., 3+1, can often make buying wine at duty free a reasonable deal. The problem is that if you are buying and traveling alone, the four bottles are more than most countries' customs laws will allow you to bring in for free.

I have friends who have not declared the four bottles and been caught and paid fines that made the 3+1 a very expensive deal. Others' have declared the four bottles and been allowed to pass without paying extra. It's a calculated risk. I haven't bought wine at duty free in ages, but in my limited browsing experience, unless you avail yourself of the 3+1 deal, there are few bargains.
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum