Req for Israel Winery to Tour

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Req for Israel Winery to Tour

Postby Harvey L » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:07 pm

I will be visiting Israel at the end of Nov. and, hopefully, will have time to visit a single winery. My homebase will be Jerusalem and one of our kind forum members suggested I visit Flam, Ella Valley or Tzora. If anyone has visited, please share your experiences and tips. I'm not sure yet of whether I will be renting a car, although I realize that without one I may not be able to visit at all.
Harvey L
Wine geek

Re: Req for Israel Winery to Tour

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi Harvey,

I think I might have been that "one forum member"...

2 advices:

1. Do rent a car.

2. Visit all three wineries, they're all a 7-10 min drive from each other so it's doable in one single afternoon (1-2 hrs per winery).

As well, near-by Bet Shemesh provides enough quick lunch options either before the tour or in between 2 wineries.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:56 pm

definitely rent a car (or hire a driver if you want to "drink"). Call ahead and give them a sense of what you would like to taste/see at the winery. All three are close by, but three might be a bit much, depending on what you want from the visit and how many people you are. Agur is also interesting, with good wines and a nice if eccentric winemaker. Do the winery a courtesy and buy a bottle or two at the end of the visit.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Mark Lieser » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:45 am

I agree that you should rent a car. As both Gabriel and Yossie said, you CAN do them all in one day - it really depends on how durable your palate is, and how much you can taste before you've had enough.

At Flam, for an extra fee, they will put on a "show" with a table set with cheeses and bread. When we visited in March, we sat with Yisrael Flam for close to two hours of wonderful tasting and conversation. I've had similarly good experiences at Ella Valley, but it's been a bit variable.

Although I like Tzora's wines, every time I've visited, they seemed rushed, and the visits have never compared to the other two.

(If you're planning on being in that area, Castel is another option, as they are just up the road from Flam. The visits there are always great, but you have to commit to purchase a case if you want to taste there.)

Mark Lieser
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:04 am

Mark Lieser wrote:If you're planning on being in that area, Castel is another option, as they are just up the road from Flam. The visits there are always great, but you have to commit to purchase a case if you want to taste there.)

No need to commit and buy a case (btw the wine prices at the winery are not friendly) but pay a fee of 75sh/pers. However with only 3 wines to sample it's usually not at the top of my list when I recommend wineries to visit. But for myself, being an insider I get a different treatment and usually get at least a mini-vertical of some of their wines.
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby E Segel » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:46 am

I posted a review of 3 wineries I visited all in one day back in January (with the help of the most resourceful Gabriel Geller) here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=46688. Using a driver is definitely recommended!
Regards,
Eli
E Segel
Wine geek

Postby YoelA » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:11 pm

If you're making that trip you may want to see whether it's possible to visit Teperberg, which is just across the road from Tzora. Last time I was there it was not open for visitors but one never knows.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Bill Coleman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:06 am

Agur is nearby, too, and Shuki is a real trip.
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum