Raindrops / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Re: Raindrops / WeeksEnd wine

Postby David Raccah » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Wow this thread has gone to the dogs! Has anyone tasted the new red wines from 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 like I have? I am not looking for blockbuster wines and nor is Gabriel. Many have gone far sweeter and new world than in the past. The prix wines have lost complexity, the Syrah, Merlot, and many others are borderline good. IMHO the cold and hard vintages have hurt Hagafen - while the whites have shined from the hard years. The 2012 whites are awesome, so I hope the reds from 2012 will indeed return to the hay days.

That said, the 2006 merlot, the 2008 syrah prix, 2008 franc prix, are a mixed bag of some good and some not - but they are leaning towards more napa styled wines - which I do not find enjoyable. Too much new world style applied to wines is not my cup of tea

That said, the 2007 MJT Prix Cab is really nice!

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Isaac Chavel » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:55 pm

IMHO the cold and hard vintages have hurt Hagafen - while the whites have shined from the hard years.

Does that apply to Hagafen's specific microclimates, or to California in general?
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:39 am

In my experience Hagafen's whites have been consistently very good - the roussanne, the rieslings, sauvignon blanc, the Collage. Even the chardonnay has been OK (I'm not crazy about most chardonnays). The reds have, for a long time been somewhat variable in my opinion, but still quite good for the most part (I except the cab franc). I liked the latest clarinet but foubd the latest Crescendo not quite as good as the 2003. But the rose (vin gris) has been consistently fine. And reds are rather more complicated to make than whites.

And, hey, somebody in the forum has to agree with Pinhas. Here I'm with him, in general.
YoelA
Wine guru

Previous

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum