Succot / joy

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Succot / joy

Postby Harry J » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:03 pm

B"sd. People we invite or think to invite to our home. How about that which we invite to our special place. May it be with joy within and without. Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Succot / joy

Postby Moshe F » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:47 pm

hi harry,

heading out to the midwest for the holiday. am bringing with me, 2011 peraj petita, 2007 hevron heights pardess, 2009 yatir viognier, 2007 yarden blanc de blancs, nv adar de elviwines cava, 2010 tabor terra rossa cabernet sauvignon, 2011 shiloh chardonnay, 2009 yarden 2T, 2010 carmel single vineyard kayoumi shiraz, angels envy bourbon, and clynelish 14 scotch. after reading my selections, it is as if i am travelling through the midbar (desert/wilderness); though i guess it wouldnt be a problem if i always travel with such baggage 8)

happy holidays and happy week to all.
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby lewis.pasco » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:37 am

We had my wife's baby sister with her hubby and three beautiful girls along with our 3 girls for Erev Succot. Wonderful company and a wonderful meal. My wife did the vast majority of the cooking as I was crushing 3 1/2 tons of excellent looking Cabernet grapes from S'vut Rachel. It was grown by a grower that many consider the best and most serious in the Shomron...

My wife did a shoulder of lamb in the oven in a "brown in bag" plastic sack, it was here idea after I told her it's best cooked in liquid but she didn't want to tie up the stove because she was preparing a couscous to go with it. Took about two hours in the brown in bag - 1 hour at 200 Celsius (395 F) and another at about 190 C (375F).

She did it really simply, just with some garlic, fresh thyme, S&P and it was great! She also did roasted eggplant with mayonnaise salad, shredded beet salad, the couscous, and a platter of oven potatoes (both white and yams) with onions and garlic. I had wanted to do a roasted peppers salad but didn't find time. I did make a rather inventive green salad, along with a caramelized pecan tart. The tart was amazing - actually all the food was. My wife's sister made beef meatballs stuffed in artichoke hearts and we piced up a Pastilla (Moroccan chicken pie wrapped in warka pastry leaves) from Jerusalem's Darna restaurant.

The lamb shoulder done in the brown in bag had an almost crunchy, caramelized deep brown crust yet was meltingly tender under that crust because the way the joint steams inside the bag.

It was very aromatic - "lamby" in a great way for me, and was an excellent partner for Pasco Project #1 (Cab, Merlot, 4% Petite Sirah).

Hag SaMeach everyone....
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi Harry, moadim l'simcha!

Lewis, that meal must have been delicious! BTW, I had your 07 RSR a few days ago (the one that you actually shared the making with Gil as he made the final blend but sorry man, that's his name on the label) and it was a delight.

Wednesday night:

Teperberg, Terra, Malbec 2011: When I wrote up my TN that's on my other thread, I briefly thought I might have gotten carried away with all the superlatives that I used to describe my love for this wine and with the score I attached to it (91) on cellartracker.com . However, it was again so awesome last night that all I can do is adding even more superlatives! This Malbec might well be the very best QPR kosher red wine. Except maybe Dalton's Petite Sirah, there is no kosher wine out there that I have tasted that gives that much for your bucks. Huge crowd-pleaser as well. I mean, 50 shekel ($13,5)?! WOW.

Thursday lunch:

Tavor, Adama, Roussanne 2012: Once again, delightful. Perhaps also the best QPR kosher white wine in the same price range as the above mentioned Teperberg Malbec along with the Tavor and Teperberg Sauvignon Blanc 2012.

Yaffo, Cabernet Sauvignon 2010: A blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot and 5% Petite Sirah that was aged 13 months (if I recall that right) in French and American oak barrels. Garnet in color and medium-bodied with on both the nose and palate plums and black cherries, along with notes of cedar wood, licorice and vanilla with a rather low acidity and soft tannins making for a round mouth and a moderately long finish. Not overly complex but a pleasant wine nevertheless.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:32 pm

Shavua tov, moadim l'simcha!

Friday night:

Ella Valley, Syrah 2006: Dark garnet with on the nose blackberries, cherries, oak and a touch of dark chocolate. Full-bodied (very), with on the palate blackberries, dark ripe plums, black cherries, anis, roasted mediterranean herbs, a touch of sweet oak and cherry liqueur with dark chocolate covered cherries, good acid and still solid tannins gently coating the mouth on a long finish. Throwing very little sediment and still showing a good structure, this wine has a couple years left at its peak.

Shabbat lunch:

Carmel, Appellation, Johannisberg Riesling 2009: As excellent as the previous bottle, excellent dry (all the sweetness that may have been in this wine at bottling is now gone) Riesling and QPR.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Hi ; galil mt alon '10. The only word that comes to mind is powerhouse. Wil goat malbec reserve '12,Argentina;opens with some bottle funkiness but turns into a very enjoyable wine. Yarden cab '03 opened for a special occasion;ba§icaly the wine was dissapointing,seemed thin and without much flavors coming through. It could be though that my expectations were too high and that was a factor. Also opened a weinstock W '11which in the opposite direction I thought would be awfull being a combination of syrahand zin with black mucat(!) And wasn't so bad for a quaffer. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Steven B » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:18 am

Hi Harry,

2010 Tulip Mostly Cabernet Franc: Very nice. Green and earthy
2009 Ramon Cardova Rioja Crianza: Not bad
N.V. Gilgal Brut: Meh
N.V. Porto Quevedo: Crowd Pleaser and good bang for the buck
2010 Dalton Estate Merlot: Enjoyed
Steven B
Wine geek

Postby Z Spigelman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:12 am

Hi Harry.
Wednesday night - Yarden CS El Rom 2004.
Thursday lunch - Yarden Merlot Odem 2007.
Friday night - Tulip Espero 2011 (Syrah, Merlot, Cabernet Franc) - a pleasant surprise - light to medium - smooth.
Gvaot Herodion Vineyard Dance 2011.
Ruth Oro Fortified Wine 2009 - port-style.
Shabbat lunch - Gvaot Rose 2012.
Bravdo Chardonnay 2012.
Shavua Tov V'Moadim L'Simcha.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby gaston k » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Great drinking over Sukkot so far.

Wed Night - Four Gates PN 2010, absolutely delicious, and a contender for best PN I have ever had.
Thurs Lunch - Psagot Edom 2009 - drinking very nicely
Thurs Night - Finished off the Psagot
Fri Lunch - Gabriele Chianti, and a hearty glass of Affligem Tripel
Fri Night- Psagot CF 2010 - good, if not as smooth as the Edom
Sat Lunch - finished off the Psagot CF, and had a small bottle of La Chouffe
Sun Night - opened a bottle of Binyamina Bin Merlot 2011 - good quaffer
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:51 pm

2004 Joseph Swan Trois Cuvees pinot noir
2002 Dr.Loosen Erdner Treppchen spatlese
2009 Capitel del Castello Valpolicella ripasso
2004 JC Cellars Santa Barbara syrah

and more yet to come over the next couple of nights.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Jeff Adler » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Wed Night: Tulip Cab Reserve 2010
Domaine Pinnacle Ice Apple Wine

Thur Lunch: Shiloh 2010 Barbera

Thur Dinner: Carmel Appellation Cabernet 2009

Fri Lunch - Leftover wines

Fri Night - 2011 Capcanes Peraj Petita

Sat Lunch - Domaine Netofa Rose 2012

Cheers

Jeff
Jeff Adler
Wine geek

Postby Pinchas L » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi Harry,

Whites + Rose:

Hagafen Prix Sauvignon Blanc 2010 - The fruit and acidity was muted. While not a bad wine, in its present phase it doesn't excite. C+/*/N

Hajdu Wines, Makom Grenache Blanc 2012 - Tasting far better than last time, when presumably it was till in shock from bottling and traveling. Possessing a sumptuous array of citrus flavors, with depth and range that is matched by lively acidity, and a hefty body. It might not be a good match with food that requires a restrained wine alongside it. The alcohol level is above 14%, but the wine handles it with aplomb. A-/**/Y

Midbar Rose 2012 - This is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon with Syrah. I didn't sense as much aromatics as last time. This time the wine showcased cherry in its many forms, ranging from bubble gum to Maraschino. 13.5% AbV. B+/**/Y

Reds:

Ramot Naftali Barbera 2010 - At night it felt like a quality Islay single malt scotch in the body of a wine, displaying peaty and smoky flavors. By day some of that subsided and more of the fruitiness showed. Overall, it is a very interesting wine. B/**/Y

Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 - This is the best it tasted. The tannins are integrated, making the wine taste silky. The body is on the medium side, and the fruit is a melange of berries and eucalyptus. B+/na/Y

Hagafen Prix Merlot 2004 - This wine is finally opening up to reveal very focused dark cherry combined with silky tannins and a robust body. A classy wine. A-/**/Y

Dessert:

Yarden Muscat 2010 - Its muted fruit and light body is a poor match to its 13.9% alcohol content. Supposedly offering finesse over boldly expressive flavors. I cannot see it hold up to dessert, and I didn't like it on its own. Not my cup of tea. C/*/N

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Lewis - LOVED the 2006 RSR - filthy! Bravo! Totally agree Pinchas, the makom Grenache Blanc was shocked a few months ago, but now it is rocking and rolling!!!

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/09/25 ... r-succoth/

Chag Sameach!
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:14 pm

More Sukkot wines

2008 City Winery Napa Valley cabernet - pleasant stuff but mainly a fruit bomb; not especially complex

2010 Hagafen roussanne - drinking nicely now; citrus tones

2008 Kermit Lynch barbaresco - still young, nice fruit, not heavy body. could develop more

2003 Domaine Ferrairolles Fitou (probably mainly carignan) - softening-showing its age
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:21 pm

Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah, both meals:

GMW, Rosé 2012: Nice as usual.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Shavua tov Harry!

Friday night:

GMW, Rosé 2012: Yes, again. Bought too many, gotta finish 'em off before it gets cold.

Shabbat lunch:

Tabor, Adama, Roussanne 2012: Fantastic as always.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:02 pm

Been away for the yamim tovim, so here is the wrap-up, from Rosh HaShanah through Succot:

2008 Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon
2011 Neve Ilan Blanc
2005 Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Rene De Lacray Chablis Montmains
2010 Agua Dulce Syrah
2010 Flam Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
2010 Vignobles David Le Mourre de l'Isle Reserve
2012 Peraj Petita Rosat
2010 Recanati Petite Sirah/Zinfandel
2011 Cantina Gabrielle Chianti
2010 Four Gates Pinot Noir
2012 Vignobles David Tavel Rose
2010 Psagot Cabernet Franc
20?? Herzog Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Best:
2011 Neve Ilan Blanc
2005 Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Rene De Lacray Chablis Montmains
2010 Psagot Cabernet Franc

Disappointments:
2010 Flam Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
2010 Four Gates Pinot Noir

Comments:
1. The 2008 Yarden CS needs more time, although quite good now.
2. The Chablis was beautiful. Started out steely, almost stingy on fruit, but then opened just right --- elegant balance between the fruit and the minerality (just had to use the much maligned descriptor).
3. The 2010 Agua Dulce S is good/very good, but overpriced.
4. The 2010 Flam CS is a good wine, maybe very good, but nowhere near the buzz that preceded it. And it was less than just not living up to the buzz.
5. The Four Gates PN was weird, overwhelmed by Cherry flavors!!?? (I forget David and Yossie's tasting notes, at the moment.) I make no pretense to knowing the typicity of Burgundy wines, yet I have drunk more than one PN out there (yes, I realize there aren't too may kosher examples) , including Four Gates' 2009 vintage (which was gorgeous). But the 2010 did not taste like a PN --- and people complain about Yarden PN.
Last edited by Isaac Chavel on Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isaac Chavel
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:04 am

Isaac hi,

Impressive list to start with! Regarding your comment about the Flam Reserve CS, me thinking you didn't let it breath enough. It's an über young wine with a huge potential and IMHO a serious competitor vs the Yarden El Rom however at this point it needs to rest in the cellar for a few years and if one insists on drinking it now then 2-4 hours in a decanter, plus eventually the use of an aerator such as the vinturi, are mandatory. Still, even with a treatment like that it will probably not reach its real potential before 2016-17.

Just my 2 cents.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:06 am

Gabriel,

Counterintuitively, the problem was not with overly strong tannins, or too tight a structure, that required extensive breathing or continued cellaring. I found it very fruity, with low acidity, with somewhat flabby structure. (I admit "flabby" is far too strong an adjective here, but it is the best I have at the moment.) Do wines ever tighten with age? Hopefully, we are just speaking of an off bottle.
Isaac Chavel
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:21 am

Isaac Chavel wrote:Gabriel,

Counterintuitively, the problem was not with overly strong tannins, or too tight a structure, that required extensive breathing or continued cellaring. I found it very fruity, with low acidity, with somewhat flabby structure. (I admit "flabby" is far too strong an adjective here, but it is the best I have at the moment.) Do wines ever tighten with age? Hopefully, we are just speaking of an off bottle.

Sounds like anything but the Flam Reserve CS 2010! You might have come across with a flawed bottle (maybe dumb) because it doesn't match a single descriptor that could be used with regards to this wine, in my experience of course. I'll let others here comment about this, perhaps some had a similar experience as yours.
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:22 am

Hi, weinstock zin 2010,nice fruit and body. Wild Goat cab 2013 whenfirst opened thought it would be a dud yet after a few minutes turned into a very enjoyable wine. Yarden 2T 09. Nice ,differnt but wasnt overly impressed.h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:06 pm

And the most enjoyable wine was galil mt ella '11. In every category. And in all that comotion maybe even felt the petit verdot.h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:48 am

Shiloh secret reserve '10 merlot
Shiloh secret reserve '10 cab sav
Ella valley 2007 syrah
Ella valley 2007 cab sav
Ella valley 2009 cab franc
Capcanes '11 peraj petita
weinstock cellars '10 petite sirah

Shared with a friend. And some don mendoza '11 malbec and ugav cs '11 that was super cheap
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:02 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:
Isaac Chavel wrote:Gabriel,

Sounds like anything but the Flam Reserve CS 2010! You might have come across with a flawed bottle (maybe dumb) because it doesn't match a single descriptor that could be used with regards to this wine, in my experience of course. I'll let others here comment about this, perhaps some had a similar experience as yours.

I totally agree with Gabriel. The Flam CS needs tons of air and won't come into prime for quite a while. I don't know if I'd put it quite on the level of an El Rom (in better vintages), but it's certainly a top-notch, cellar-worthy wine.

Re the '10 4G PN, it's a seriously flawed wine. Undrinkable as far as I'm concerned.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum